Former race car driver discovers joys of minivan

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADS

canadiangie

I think there's an equal stigma about owning an SUV with a large family. Dude who wrote the article says I need my 3rd row up to haul my three kids, and with my 3rd row up I can't have a double stroller. Well, lol, guess I just got lucky. My 3rd row is up maybe 10% of the time, and when it is, you guessed it, I have a double stroller back there. And I do things like get groceries.

I get more done with my SUV than most people can fathom. Like the other day, I had three top tethered harnessed seats in my 3rd row, two rf'ers in my 2nd, and a booster. Try doing that in a Grand Caravan. Lol.

The minivan vs SUV debate is just so.. old.

*right* SUV. That's the key. :)

cso1997

I get more done with my SUV than most people can fathom. Like the other day, I had three top tethered harnessed seats in my 3rd row, two rf'ers in my 2nd, and a booster. Try doing that in a Grand Caravan. Lol.

Well, to be fair the author rented a Grand Caravan but bought an Odyssey. Although I don't know if that configuration would work in an Odyssey.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Well, the 2012 odyssey I drove had 5 full sets of latch, 6 TA. The only rear seating position without a full set is third row middle. I put seats in all spots.

canadiangie

Well, the 2012 odyssey I drove had 5 full sets of latch, 6 TA. The only rear seating position without a full set is third row middle. I put seats in all spots.

Yep, if I bought a van, there's only one on the current market I'd be able to consider, the Ody. Anything else would be a step down from my current SUV in terms of seat set-up for my needs.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Yep, if I bought a van, there's only one on the current market I'd be able to consider, the Ody. Anything else would be a step down from my current SUV in terms of seat set-up for my needs.

This why it will be what we purchase. I want a van. When the VW guy was practically trying to give me his last 2012 routan, I kept laughing and dh finally had to tell me to stop. I couldn't get over going from 5ta to 3ta.

canadiangie

This why it will be what we purchase. I want a van. When the VW guy was practically trying to give me his last 2012 routan, I kept laughing and dh finally had to tell me to stop. I couldn't get over going from 5ta to 3ta.

And I think that wanting a van, and loving your van is just fine. It's the notion that minivans are better for families, blanket statement. When it comes right down to it, it takes careful selection to get a 2-3 kid friendly vehicle these days, and minivans are no exception.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am with Angie here...this stupid vans vs SUVs thing is so beyond done. And really I feel it is the minivan drivers who keep it going for some reason...self inflicted insecurity maybe? Like instead of letting someone think they are a lame guy for driving a van they say (over and over again in some cases) "I drive a minivan because I am above driving a SUV because people only do that purely for status/image reasons" before anyone can say "hey dude nice minivan". For real NOBODY cares that you drive a minivan. We own 2 SUVs and a big ass truck and we aren't going around saying "look at the nerds in their minivan HAHAHA" we don't give a flying F what you drive...so remind me again why y'all care so much about us choosing a SUV? Trust me I tried the minivan route and bought the nicest one available back in 2005...no thanks! Never again! I love my SUVs and not because I think they make me look cool...truth is I *could* make a minivan look cool if I had the desire. ;)

We have "short man syndrome" and I think we might also have "minivan man syndrome" also now...not all men have said minivan man syndrome but I have met a few who do. :rollseyes:

canadiangie

I am with Angie here...this stupid vans vs SUVs thing is so beyond done. And really I feel it is the minivan drivers who keep it going for some reason...self inflicted insecurity maybe? Like instead of letting someone think they are a lame guy for driving a van they say (over and over again in some cases) "I drive a minivan because I am above driving a SUV because people only do that purely for status/image reasons" before anyone can say "hey dude nice minivan". For real NOBODY cares that you drive a minivan. We own 2 SUVs and a big ass truck and we aren't going around saying "look at the nerds in their minivan HAHAHA" we don't give a flying F what you drive...so remind me again why y'all care so much about us choosing a SUV? Trust me I tried the minivan route and bought the nicest one available back in 2005...no thanks! Never again! I love my SUVs and not because I think they make me look cool...truth is I *could* make a minivan look cool if I had the desire. ;)

We have "short man syndrome" and I think we might also have "minivan man syndrome" also now...not all men have said minivan man syndrome but I have met a few who do. :rollseyes:

^ She said what I'm thinking, Texas style. :love:

tl01

I think it really is just personal preference. I have had two mid to large size SUVs... And three minivans The minivans just work better for me. I prefer driving my GL Mercedes SUV... But sliding doors and the big well... Especially the one in my sienna really rock for me. Where I'm from minivans are regarded with the same enthusiasm as the plague. Where I live now they are much more common. Dh and I were talking about if we'd do another minivan in the future or get and SUV and hands down he voted minivan. We packed the whole family... For 9 days... And we pack a lot.. Plus my stokke stroller in the well of our sienna... Never putting down the third row. We could have never safely packed that much with the 3rd row down in either SUV. Maybe in the GL because the previous generation had a special barrier it came with but surely no the other one.

CMeMeC

canadiangie said:
I think there's an equal stigma about owning an SUV with a large family. Dude who wrote the article says I need my 3rd row up to haul my three kids, and with my 3rd row up I can't have a double stroller. Well, lol, guess I just got lucky. My 3rd row is up maybe 10% of the time, and when it is, you guessed it, I have a double stroller back there. And I do things like get groceries.

What SUV do you drive, if you don't mind me asking?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
A mini-van doesn't suit our needs. A Suburban does. A mini-van might suit someone else's needs better. That's fine. Can't we all just drive what works best for us and be confident in that decision?

A mini-van doesn't suit our needs. A Suburban does. A mini-van might suit someone else's needs better. That's fine. Can't we all just drive what works best for us and be confident in that decision?

If that was the case, there wouldn't be a minivan stigma. :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
If that was the case, there wouldn't be a minivan stigma. :)

But notice in this thread there are people who drive SUVs who don't say anything negative about minivans other than they don't fit their needs or they aren't their style. Nothing personal about people who drive vans, no attacking their characters, yet YOU state that people who drive SUVs do it for the stigma and I have seen you say it many times on this board. The proofs in the pudding buddy...you're the one stereotyping people based on their choice of vehicle and giving SUVs a stigma (that all SUV drivers care about is their appearance)....if you hate your van that much sell it already. ;)

SavsMom

My sister has 4 kids and drives an SUV. She has had soooooo many people tell her to get a van, to quit driving her "gas guzzling" SUV, but they don't seem to take into consideration that she lives on a farm only accessible by a gravel road that turns to 3 feet of mud every spring, that she needs a vehicle that will haul 4 kids and tow a horse trailer, a vehicle that will get her into a plowed field when bil needs something. No van out there will do that. They can afford their big SUV and no one should say a damned thing about what anyone drives. If its not parked in your driveway...it's none of your business.

For the record she has an Escalade with the third row being used full time and she still has room for a bob double, a horse saddle and ballet gear in the back, lol!

canadiangie

My sister has 4 kids and drives an SUV. She has had soooooo many people tell her to get a van, to quit driving her "gas guzzling" SUV, but they don't seem to take into consideration that she lives on a farm only accessible by a gravel road that turns to 3 feet of mud every spring, that she needs a vehicle that will haul 4 kids and tow a horse trailer, a vehicle that will get her into a plowed field when bil needs something. No van out there will do that. They can afford their big SUV and no one should say a damned thing about what anyone drives. If its not parked in your driveway...it's none of your business.

For the record she has an Escalade with the third row being used full time and she still has room for a bob double, a horse saddle and ballet gear in the back, lol!

LOL, I totally get that. I'm the mom who blazes a trail through 3 foot snow drifts at the local soccer field turned impromptu overflow parking lot at my kids' elementary school. I don't have time or patience to have to park strategically so that I can get out in a van. To quote Sweet Brown, ain't know body got time for that.

We live where we're put because of dh's job, and since I hope to own my current ride until its driven into the ground, and we could get transferred to Nunavut tomorrow, I'm keeping my gas guzzling, non-sliding doors, apparently snooty SUV that is 100% practical for my needs.

You're bang on when you say it's no ones business but mine. :D

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I just had to come add one reason I love my SUV. A guy in his current gen Ody tried to get me off the line today because he wanted my lane after passing a ton of cars backed up in traffic...yeah, my new Range Rover Supercharged might have blown his doors off and then some. :D

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I drive a minivan because it suits our needs better ATM, but I'd much prefer the handling, capabilities, and flexibility of use of an SUV. I could do SOOOO much more with my SUVs than I can with the van...except the one thing I had to do-get an old lady up into it.

As it is, I have to borrow or rent a truck to do a lot of the things I used to just go do with an SUV or just not do them.

Still, I'm not ashamed to drive a van (or an SUV) I just drive what makes the most sense to drive at the moment and anybody that has a problem with that needs to get a hobby.

gigi

I just had to come add one reason I love my SUV. A guy in his current gen Ody tried to get me off the line today because he wanted my lane after passing a ton of cars backed up in traffic...yeah, my new Range Rover Supercharged might have blown his doors off and then some. :D

Ha! I love my SUV and it isn't even very fast LOL. I don't care what anyone else drives though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC