Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Unhappy Year Old Seat Manufacture Date

A month ago I ordered a new convertible (Lamaze/True Fit Premier) for my lil man who just turned one, and I just now checked the manufacture date and found out its year old, it was manufactured in April 2012. Now I'm a little mad I didn't check that right away as I've used it for a month. Is it too late to return it? I think Babies r us policy says 90 days but I feel bad about returning a used car seat and there's no guarantee ill get one with a more recent date, plus the pain of uninstalling and installing it again. Am I being too unreasonable that I lost a year? My lil man is 50% for height and 5% for weight so I was thinking he's not going to outgrow it before it expires?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Year Old Seat Manufacture Date

I wouldn't try to return a car seat that I've used for a month. The seat will expire in 6 years, and he'll likely be ready for a booster by or before that point

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Oh yeah, those seats are old ....did you pay this? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=11468611 Since it's well below the MSRP, you still got a good deal. The seat lasts for 7 years, so 230/7=32, so you could have paid as much as 199 and still got a fair deal. (230-32=198). You got the equivalent of 2 years of price knocked off, and only lost one year of use.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Yikes, I just looked at the date again and its 2 years old, made in April 2011. Is this an old brand that's no longer made? So basically even if I call up B'R'Us and complain they probably couldn't send me a newer seat? I did get a good deal on it (150) so it's not that big of a deal, and a good learning lesson for next time, but still frustrating.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

No, they don't have any newer ones, they just bought the one batch and have been trying to sell them ever since. Nothing wrong with them, they just didn't market them well, so they didn't sell fast. Still a good price for a super tall rearfacing seat with all the nice features it has (the anti rebound bar is a feature only found on generally more expensive seats, like Britax and Radians, which have harder-to-use rearfacing top tethers).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

7. Thank You from:

You still got a good deal and by the time it expires there's a chance your child will have outgrown it or be close to outgrowing it anyways! I think you'll get a good long use out of your seat.