Car advice for family of 4

cantabdad

I've just started researching new cars and would love to hear any experiences or opinions (good, bad, or indifferent) on the Toyota Prius V, VW Jetta Sportwagen, Ford C-Max, and Subaru Impreza wagon (or Outback) -- both from a Child Passenger Safety perspective and overall utility/value.

In particular, is 3-across possible in all of these vehicles? We only have 2 children but want to be sure of having enough space for the occasional friend or mother-in-law. I have read previous posts on this forum that:
- Subarus have issues with the middle seat
- the Prius V has plastic hinge covers on the seats that interfere with some carseats

Any other things to watch out for? Or suggestions of other similar vehicles that are fuel-efficient and relatively affordable, but give a little more space than a typical sedan?

Our current Honda Civic is great and the trunk is *just* big enough for all of our luggage for a short trip, including stroller and Pack-&-Play, but it does seem like we could use more space as the kids grow older. They're currently 5years old (FF in a Radian XTSL) and almost-2 (RF in a Britax Marathon).

ADS

geekKT

The only thing I can possibly help with is the Impreza Wagon. We just sold our 2005 - I'm not sure what years you'd be looking at. My DH was too tall to fit a RF seat behind him comfortably, so whoever was RF ended up behind me and put me much closer to the dash than I'd like to be. Doable, but not super comfortable for a long drive or daily car. We do have a member here who has put a lot of combinations in a sedan version of the same, so 3 across is possible. I'm just not sure how realistic two seats plus a mother in law would be. :)

I also can't really compare the Impreza to the Outback, but I know the newer Outbacks are redesigned and seem like they may have more space in the back. I haven't really played around in one though.

FWIW, I seem to have more back seat space in our new Focus hatch than I did in the Subaru.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Prius V is a hair wider than Prius and you could probably find a 3-across to work. It still may not quite have the room of some midsize cars and SUVs, but definitely more than typical compact cars. I'll have the Fusion Hybrid at the end of this month and the C-Max at the end of May with reviews to follow.

cantabdad

Thanks, everyone. And Darren, I enjoyed your review of the Prius V on carseatblog and will look forward to hearing about the Fords, especially the C-Max. I know your reviews are primarily focused on safety but it would also be great to see some real-world fuel economy testing of those hybrids.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's impossible to get good fuel economy data in the one week I will have it. But even in a few days, I can get a pretty good comparison to how our Prius is doing in the same type of conditions. Sadly, I won't have the Prius V side-by-side so it will be tough to compare, but I'm sure there are lots of those articles available by now.

Citrine

My husband drives a Vokswagan Passat TDI. He only has about 6mi round trip to work. Would drive to RI about 45 min and 30miles, (one way) away and still only gas up once a month! Once a month! I have done 3 across with the the Kiddy Cruiser Fix pro, a cosco Low back and the Peg Perego Conviertible seat RF. I love driving that car, lots of get up and go, so fun to drive! Compared to my van that is :)

Last edited:

jpegtle

They made the VW passat bigger in 2012. It has a HUGE back seat area- bigger than my Acura mdx- and you can get tdi- so great has mileage. The trunk is also huge. It's working great for us- with two kids. We had two rear facing for awhile with no problems!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC