Question 2013 Highlander Rear facing in 3rd Row

JenHep

We just bought a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I was specifically looking for a third row in an SUV because I watch my 6 month old nephew two days a week. I have two kids, a 6 year old in a booster and a 3 year old in a forward facing convertible car seat. I wanted to put my nephew in the third row since he's only with me two days a week but we are having a heck of a time finding a rear facing convertible car seat that will fit back there and not touch the seat in front of it (we push it as far forward as we can). Has anyone gotten one to work??? We have my daughter back there right now in the booster seat but then we have to put my son behind the passenger seat because she can't walk behind the rear facing car seat to get out of the car for school drop off in the morning. I preferred having my son behind me, the driver, so I didn't have to walk around the car. All minor inconveniences until my nephew is old enough to go forward facing and then we can move him to the third row.

ADS

Brianna

It looks like a Britax Marathon will fit http://carseatblog.com/9785/minivan...zle-gas-2011-toyota-highlander-hybrid-review/

Not all car seats prohibit touching the seat in front of them when rear facing, so touching isn't necessarily a problem depending on which seat. A car seat shouldn't be wedged between the 2nd and 3rd row, but light touching could be okay.

What convertible is your daughter in? Are you aware of the current recommendations to rear face until at least age 2?

JenHep

Hi Brianna,

Thank you for the link and info! My daughter is 6 years old so she is in a booster seat and my son is 3 years old and is in a forward facing convertible. Right now, my nephew is in an Evenflo convertible car seat. He is only 6 months and yes I am aware of the 2 year old recommendation for rear-facing. Thus why I would like to have my nephew in the 3rd row since I only watch him two days a week and not inconvenience myself and my own two kids.

jpegtle

I have a third row in the MDX and it's a pain to get back there... What about just putting him in the center of the second row? I had 2 infant rear facing and I ff in that way....

canadiangie

Does the 13 Highlander have tether anchors in the 3rd row now?

How much does little nephew weigh? Wondering about a Guide 65 with dual level lines -- if the US Guide 65 has dual level lines, that is.

What seats are your older kids in? Make and model please. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have a third row in the MDX and it's a pain to get back there... What about just putting him in the center of the second row? I had 2 infant rear facing and I ff in that way....

A Diono Radian is an acceptable rear-facing fit in the center seat of the current generation Highlander, though it takes some effort.

Does the 13 Highlander have tether anchors in the 3rd row now?

Not that I know.

It looks like a Britax Marathon will fit http://carseatblog.com/9785/minivan...zle-gas-2011-toyota-highlander-hybrid-review/

Not all car seats prohibit touching the seat in front of them when rear facing, so touching isn't necessarily a problem depending on which seat. A car seat shouldn't be wedged between the 2nd and 3rd row, but light touching could be okay.

I have tried a Britax convertible. It needs to be a little more upright than 45 degrees and can slightly touch the 2nd row seat as long as it does not affect the angle. I think I may have tried a Cosco Scenera there with a noodle, also. I suspect a Combi Coccoro will work, too, but I have not tried one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC