Question Benefits of taking the cpst class

thepote

So if one could probably already pass the cpst test and do a seat check well, are their any other benefits to taking the cpst training? Like what do you get out of the class beyond what we here presumably already know?

Just curious :)

ADS

Brianna

I would think the main benefit would be the certification, I'm interested to see the other answers of course. I would love to be able to help PikkuMyy with the seat check requests she gets.

nannykates

Along with the certification (which covers you butt in some cases) I also made some connections with the "car seat" people in my area. I also think having an advocate like yourself in class can make the whole class better techs. Oh yeah...and I met my bf in class ;).

nataliem257

I have been wondering this as well, my job could not be less relevant, I don't know if there are even checks in my area (I've never heard about one), and I don't even know very many people with small children. More than anything it would justify my border line obsession, and give me something to say when I get caught checking my boss's scenera for 1" of movement while in her backseat (yes that actually happened)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
It is well worth it. I enjoy the ability to have credentials above the average loon giving unsolicited advice.

I have been wondering this as well, my job could not be less relevant, I don't know if there are even checks in my area (I've never heard about one), and I don't even know very many people with small children. More than anything it would justify my border line obsession, and give me something to say when I get caught checking my boss's scenera for 1" of movement while in her backseat (yes that actually happened)

Really? You've never heard of Big Rigs and Boosters? It's the biggest annual check. It's hosted by the Junior League and it is on the news. We were on 4 last summer in Benton, live on location. At the first of this month a check was on the news. There's another at UALR in a week and a half. Probably 2-3 in NLR a year by NLRPD and ASP to keep their guys certified.

Let me know if ever you're interested. :D

You can be a volunteer and runner at a check.

HaileysMommy

You will learn something you didn't know...trust me. Also they taught me how to talk to people and actually get them to listen. I would say the biggest thing I learned is that you can't save every kid. In other words your not going to get every parent to RF their kid to 4, FF harness to 6 and not booster a 3 year old. But if they leave you in a better situation then they came in you've done your job. It's truly up to the parent to use the information you have given. I don't get nearly as frustrated now when people don't listen to me. Lol

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Getting to do car seat checks. Credibility with people in stores that you might actually be worth listening to. Employability as a CPST. Access to tech trainings and online resources not open to the general public (sometimes including product previews.)

MotoMommaNH

Thepote...did you sign up for the one in Bedford? I thought about it, but the timing stinks as we are putting our house on the market in 3 weeks. I do want to do it though.

nataliem257

It is well worth it. I enjoy the ability to have credentials above the average loon giving unsolicited advice.

Really? You've never heard of Big Rigs and Boosters? It's the biggest annual check. It's hosted by the Junior League and it is on the news. We were on 4 last summer in Benton, live on location. At the first of this month a check was on the news. There's another at UALR in a week and a half. Probably 2-3 in NLR a year by NLRPD and ASP to keep their guys certified.

Let me know if ever you're interested. :D

You can be a volunteer and runner at a check.

Really? I had no idea. I'm still considering taking a class, do you know when the next one is that's opened to the public? In the mean time I'd love to volunteer

Lemonade

The main thing I actually learned that I didn't already know what all about all the different kinds of seat belts. Most of the other things I could have taught. But it was good to go through it. I ended up meeting the people who run the checks in my area and I now do a monthly check at a local hospital. So it gives me a chance to help in the community. Plus I've had many friends ask me to check their installs. It really makes the difference to people when they get advice vs just being some overly careful car-seat obsessed parent. My class was half cops and half people who work at two local children's hospitals (CHOP and St. Christopher's.) And after staying home for 4 yrs, it was just nice to do something for me and spend 4 days with adults:)

thepote

Thepote...did you sign up for the one in Bedford? I thought about it, but the timing stinks as we are putting our house on the market in 3 weeks. I do want to do it though.

I decided against it for a few reasons. My DH would have to use vacation days to cover when I'm gone, and he has only accrued two weeks this year and has already talking excitedly about his plans for them. Also, I'm not sure how I would actually use my certification. I am so over talking to people about cps right now. As you probably know, we have a law pending that would raise the booster age to 7 (was 8, House amended it, passed it, and now it goes to the Senate). The amount of ridiculousness I have heard about cps and Live Free or Die is disheartening. I need to figure out if it's something I want to be doing before I cash in any political capital with DH, so to speak.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Really? I had no idea. I'm still considering taking a class, do you know when the next one is that's opened to the public? In the mean time I'd love to volunteer

All of them will be controlled courses. You would need to email the lead. I am fairly certain only Holly and Betsey will be leads for a while. I'm having to do lead planning for the next couple of classes to get ready to step up.

Of course, it helps to know someone going in to email. I knew an instructor by random meeting over a car seat one day at a gas station.

I am not sure what the schedule is locally. Next week is a course at my facility. There was one at the fire training facility the first week of March. We are down to practically nobody available to teach and working on rural techs. Just keep checking and if I hear anything I'll try to remember to let you know.

ETA: I'd consider volunteering to be a runner/aide at as many events as possible. Knowing people really helps.

I have an acquaintance that has no business as a tech. She keeps trying to get in, but that door won't open...ever.

MotoMommaNH

I hear you. On all accounts! I feel like I have to walk on eggshells any time I talk about cps with any one who lives in this state. You are sure to get an eye roll or "well that's crazy we aren't going to do that!"
Maybe that's why in the future if I get my CPST I may be taken more seriously?
And I LOVE NH,really...but this part is just aggravating. Maybe it's my Mass roots coming out...

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Street Cred.

It's amazing how I could present the same information - sometimes to the same people! - and being able to attach the words "I'm a car seat tech" to it makes it magically true and credible. I didn't *know* any more, I just had a certificate that stated I had the knowledge.

I don't do many checks, but I do a few... most of what I do is within my immediate community (friends, clients/former childcare clients, church community.) I feel it's worth it, but in your situation, my answer might have differed. Maybe bring it up to DH as a long-term goal?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC