Taking a trip on a "peoplemover"...

la-ky-mama

It's a bus looking thing. Seats 15 and they have lapbelts, but it does not look like a van. It has the bus doors at the front. I have 2 kids, 5 and 2. Both still in 5 pt. 5 yr old is ff in a radian xtsl. 2 yr old is rf in a first years true fit. So, just wondering if anyone has experience installing seats in this type of vehicle? Thanks for any input! :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You cannot use a locking clip on a lap-only belt. The pull tail ones can be used to install a car seat as long as they have been properly anchored. They have a locking latch plate. The retracting ones can be used if they lock. If they don't lock, you'd need a belt shortening clip which is complicated. If you can get an extra empty row behind you can tether to the previous row's seatbelts.

la-ky-mama

Clarification needed please!

The seatbelts are retractable and I will check tomorrow to be sure but I think they lock. So, that being said, what you're saying is, I should be able to install both seats, one ff, one rf (if it fits) with the lap belts with NO EXTRA EQUIPMENT, right? I would only need the belt shortening clip if they don't lock. *IF* they don't lock, where would I get a belt shortening clip?

Tethering... Do I NEED to tether? Not sure there will be an extra row but if there is... Do I tether both seats? And how would I tether "to the previous row's seatbelts" if I'm getting an extra seat behind the row? I need more info/clarification on this part please! :)

Thanks ladies!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Clarification needed please!

The seatbelts are retractable and I will check tomorrow to be sure but I think they lock. So, that being said, what you're saying is, I should be able to install both seats, one ff, one rf (if it fits) with the lap belts with NO EXTRA EQUIPMENT, right? I would only need the belt shortening clip if they don't lock. *IF* they don't lock, where would I get a belt shortening clip?

Tethering... Do I NEED to tether? Not sure there will be an extra row but if there is... Do I tether both seats? And how would I tether "to the previous row's seatbelts" if I'm getting an extra seat behind the row? I need more info/clarification on this part please! :)

Thanks ladies!

I am not a pro at the "tether to a seat belt" subject since I rarely (read: have once) do them and without pulling out my manuals, I'll let an experienced person come in to get more in depth. Basically, you'll be buckling the lap belt and locking it. Then either hook the actual tether hook to the belt or loop the tether strap over the belt and hook onto self. There may be more specific instructions from the bus manufacturer.

If you cannot tether for some reason, the xtsl performs well untethered.

If the seatbelt is on a retractor, it could be one of three 1) automatic locking - locks when you pull it out and stop, once you stop, you cannot pull out anymore slack until you let the belt back into the retractor. You would just pull out excess belt, buckle it, apply weight to seat and let the slack retract. Check install. All done. 2) switchable retractor - you can pull it out some, then pull some more, but if you pull it all the way out, it locks so when any slack is let back in it cannot be pulled back put until you let the majority of the belt back in. Install, pull out belt to put in locking mode, apply weight to seat and let the slack in the belt retract. Check install, all done. 3) emergency locking only - this belt doesn't lock unless in an emergency situation. No matter what you do, you can always release and pull slack back out of the retractor. For this belt, you need a belt shortening clip to hold the excess slack. This process can require a good amount of learning curve, but is not impossible. :thumbsup: You can get them from dealerships with a part number. We can help you there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would tether if you can, as it provides extra protection on a small bus (which is what this essentially is) with reduced head excursion room. If they are switchable or automatic retractors, you would tether each seat to the belt behind by clipping the tether hook to the buckle tongue of the belt directly behind it (may need to turn the buckle sideways to get it on), pulling the belt out to a point where it locks and stays locked (they usually unlock if you let them go down too far, so test) and tightening the tether to remove enough slack that it stays at that length. If it has an emergency locking retractor (if you had to use that belt shortening clip) you would have to extend the belt behind all the way. If the tether won't shorten enough for that, just don't tether to an elr belt. If you can't tether it's not the end of the world and they are still way safer in harnesses than lap only belts. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC