Traveling with a natuluis/argos

TeenaMarie

The trip is in its early stages of planning, but we will be flying Southwest or Alaska to San Franscisco. We will most likely rent a car. Jordyn will be a month shy of four, and she is currently just under 40in and 36lbs and we have a natuluis and an argos for her.
Anyone have an experiance flying Southwest or Alaska with one? I didn't find anything about size of a carseat for Alaska, but Southwest said something about seats bigger than 16in probobly won't fit, but we don't travel by plane often so the cost of an additional extra seat isn't justified for us; would she be okay at her size on the plane without a seat if it doesn't fit?

ADS

dneul

You pay for a seat for a 4 year old regardless if they have a carseat or not. Use a seat that s FAA approved and it should fit. I would take a seat since you will need it in a car anyways.

jujumum

I flew with a GN round trip and it was bad enough for me to purchase a maestro to use for flights. We had a 3 hr flight and the headslump was horrible. The buckle of the seatbelt ended up square in dd's back. It was huge and heavy, and not a pleasure to haul through an airport. It fit fine on the plane seat and fit through the security scanner with the back piece unhinged in its back (by pressing the red tabs under the seat cushion).

TeenaMarie

The plan is to take it on a seat no matter what, we already figured out how to bring it around the airport(luggage cart and bungee straps). She's a rambunctious child so we're very much hoping that it does fit on the plane.

I'm always curious about the head slump everyone talks about. We've yet to experience head slump in any of the cars. Does your child have head slump in the cars or was it just on the plane? This will only be the second time we've flown with her(first when she was 6months) and the next time won't be until we go to Disney when she's 5, every other vacation is taking the train to Portland and then we don't use a car so we don't have a need to have a travel seat.

Anyone have hints on installing on the plane? I've read about reclining the seat installing and un-reclining and using a belt extender.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just make sure you don't get the bulkhead; since the armrests don't go up you won't be able to fit it there. If you're worried about it getting stuck, either flip the buckle or get an extender (if you think you'll want an extender ask for it as soon as you board.) Southwest allows passengers travelling with children under 5 to board between A and B groups. Depending on whether your flight has other connections it may be worth it to you to make sure your'e in A group (which usually means a fee) if you want the most choice of seats. However, they are required to accomodate the car seat and that means if there are no open window seats, they will need to move someone to accomodate it. If you get on and there are no window seats, speak to a flight attendant immediately when you ascertain that, so they can ask other passengers to move. It likely won't be an issue, though.

jujumum

In our van our GN are installed one or 2 clicks back so that it is very slightly (nearly imperceptible to the untrained eye) reclined so there is no headslump.

Airplane seats are usually curved like a bowl with the headrest part jutting forward. This made for a super upright install with the GN. The airline required that the airline seat was 100% upright, which resulted in the GN being super upright (which was actually even more upright than with no recline clicks in our van). Her whole body slumped forward with the headslump on the plane. Maybe other people haven't experienced the headslump that we did.

As far as the install went, it was a breeze other than the buckle at the back of the child's back (which I agree, might have been able to be prevented with an extender). Since the belt passes behild the cloth fabric of the seat back pad, there is no issue unlatching the buckle or fastening the buckle. There was no need to recline to install or to uninstall (which we needed to do with the old style MA).

Last edited:

TeenaMarie

Did she complain about being uncomfortable just being in the seat? Or was it sleeping? Jordyn doesn't often sleep in the car, so not quite sure if she would on the plane. But she will vocalize if she's not comfortable.

Last edited:

jujumum

She didn't complain - she just slumped out and forward like a rag doll completely asleep. I kept shoving other kid's jackets and things around her to prop her back up, but she'd eventually flop out.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
would she be okay at her size on the plane without a seat if it doesn't fit?

In my opinion, yes. I traveled by plane with my own ds at that age (and younger) with no car seat on the plane and he was fine. The lap belt fit with no problem, we were able to get it nice and snug.

If you can't purchase another car seat, and you decide to try the Nautilus (GN) be prepared to have to gate check it if it doesn't fit. Have a bag to put it in if possible. And check it carefully for damage at your destination. They can be damaged when checking them.

TeenaMarie

The idea of checking it and getting it back damaged scares me. My sister(Jordyn's mom) hasn't expressed any concern since we will be flying out during the week and she will come for the weekend(meaning not having to deal with her on the plane). My step-father is set on the idea that we can get a rental car and rent a seat too(Not going to happen) and my mother suggested getting a Harmony folding booster since she's worried about gate checking.
I personally am not comfortable about using a booster; I know I would be the one sitting next to her and being the one to remind her to sit right and I've never done any boostering and no one else in my family is knowledgeable to the fact that there is a right and wrong way to be in a booster.
Is the Defender FAA approved? My best friend has one for her son and we would most likely be able to trade her seats for the week(Even though I'm certain his dad would have something to say about him riding around in a pink seat) if it is and would be easier to travel with.

Jeni-GAcpst

There's a Harmony Defender with harness for $100 at Walmart. Yes, it's FAA approved.
There's the harmony defender folding booster which is not FAA approved.
No booster is FAA approved because planes only have lap belts. Only car seats with harnesses (which should fit on a plane) are FAA approved.
If you're taking a booster, it should fit in the overhead bin in the flight, then it's available and free from damage when you arrive at your destination.

AmbersMom

We have traveled with a Nautilus on Southwest in the past - from NC to Utah. No problems whatsoever! We'll be doing it again on Tuesday! (Only this time flying to CA, so much longer flight!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC