Booster questions

Holly

Is a high back booster better than a no back booster? Does a kid have to be a certain age/size to be in a no back booster?
What are the best, most comfy etc boosters (both kinds)?
I know it's going to be a few years before I will need a booster for my dd, but I want to know about the different ones out there so I will know which is a good one to get, if I need to save up for one, etc. I know they might have new products out by the time we need one. Are there boosters that completely suck and to avoid at all costs?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A high back booster offers better fit for the seatbelt normally, and offers some additional side impact protection. The no back simply lifts a child higher.

I don't know about which ones to avoid, as long as they have an open belt path most are ok. It'll depend what you need or want in three years. Do you need something that has a removable back? Something that folds? Something for a slim child? Something that lasts a long time, or just something that lasts a couple of years?

Wendy

CandCfam

Yes, a high back booster protects a child better, so as long as they fit within the limits of the hbb, it is better.

Here is some booster information, links to crash tests
Here is a really good, informative video from GMTv:
HERE

High Back Booster seat crash test

The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on booster seats

Why We Use Booster Seats (on pg 2, point #3 it gives age and weight guidelines of about age 4 & 40 lbs)

Here are the urls to some crash tests of booster seats:
Click on crash test #4, it is with a child dummy in a backless booster

Another backless booster crash test, side impact.

HBB crash test footage

another HBB with deep side wings at head, crash test footage

HBB with shallower side wings at head, crash test footage

THIS thread has a link to some pretty interesting crash test footage.

hth

skaterbabs

Just be careful, some boosters are very short (Evenflo Big Kid, the Compass boosters are short, but some models are taller than others.)

get the tallest booster you can find, except watch the Cosco (aka Safety First/Eddie Bauer) ones. A couple of them require the seatback be above the midpoibt of the child's head.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Around here, we recommend 4 & 40 for ANY booster use.

According to most mfg however, you "can" be 20 lbs. and up for a high back booster, but must be 40 + for a backless booster.

The vehicle needs to provide head/neck support when using a backless booster.

Most with armrests seem to allow the seat belt to fit closer to the body.

I like backless boosters for occasional use (there's one in my trunk) because they are small, lightweight, easily moved from place to place (the child can manage it easily) and there is little room for error/misuse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC