Subway safety

U

Unregistered

This site and carseat blog have convinced me of the need to use car seats on planes. Is traveling on a subway/Metro without a carseat considered safe? We live in a suburb and have always taken Metro into the city pre-baby. Driving can be challenging or even dangerous with city traffic, and parking is also a challenge. Is the Metro a safe way to get into the city even if it means no car seat? If so, any advice on stroller vs. a carrier like the Ergo? Thanks in advance.

ADS

jasminegrl

there is nothing on the metro to attach a carseat to, when we were in tokyo and using their subway, we used a combo of stroller and BECO and the beco was just much much easier. Im not sure from a safety stand point what would be the safest tho.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Welcome! Statistically, using public transport is way safer than using a private vehicle or taxi, regardless of the lack of restraints on public transport. They simply have so few crashes, it's a way safer way to travel. As jasmine said above, there are no belts, so there's no way to install a car seat on the subway (or a bus.)

If you think there's a possibility you will use a taxi or car service some time during the trip, then it would be best to use a stroller and bring a car seat (the stroller can carry the car seat regardless of if the baby is in it or not.) If there is absolutely no need for car transport and won't be even if you have unexpected circumstances (rain, snow, illness, etc.) because you'll have easy access to public transport no matter the circumstances, then a carrier is a fine way to go. :)

brightredmtn

Train travel is super safe in comparison to auto travel. Like PP wrote, if you do think you might need a cab or car service once in the city do bring your car seat, hopefully it's an infant seat and you have a stroller that is compatible with it. I would suggest installing the seat without the base before you go as it's different than installing the base.

Have fun!

cantabdad

Which subway/metro system is this?

In many places, including Boston and New York, it is much easier to have the baby in a carrier than in a stroller -- some stations don't have elevators (or they do, but they are hard to find) and if the train is crowded it can be challenging to manage the stroller in the subway car. Turnstiles in Boston can accommodate a stroller, but in New York you'll need to track down an attendant to open the access gate (even with the slimmest Maclaren stroller) which is a hassle.

In DC, the metro system is newer, 100% ADA-compliant, and has elevators everywhere. We used our stroller much more when visiting DC since it was more convenient for storing gear.

We travel frequently with our kids and I take my daughter to daycare on the subway every day, in all kinds of weather. We have never found ourselves in a position where we unexpectedly needed to take a taxi, so I wouldn't necessarily have that weigh heavily. But of course you are in the best position to judge your travel plans.

And yes, public transportation is very safe even though passengers are not restrained. I don't have the latest figures in front of me, but the fatal crash rate is something like 0.04 per 100 million passenger-miles of travel, versus about 0.80 for driving.

Eclipsepearl

I've lived in San Francisco, New York, London, Hong Kong and Paris. I bought my first car at age 38 when I finally "settled down". I only used public transport in all those places.

The only time I was "stuck" using a cab was when I was really pressed for time or when I had been out too late. Both are very easy to avoid and let's face it, with a car seat-needing child, the latter is especially unlikely that you'll be out with your pals and forget to look at your watch. Most public transport systems run to midnight or 1am. I know where I am at that hour these days and it's not on public transport!!

I've also done public transport in San Fran, New York, London and Paris with my children.

While there is little risk of some sort of accident, security on the platforms and in the stations is key. Keep children away from the edges of the platform and keep your eyes on them, especially if you have an escape artist like I used to...

Pickpocketing is your biggest "threat". Simply keep your valuables tucked well away, not in your bag or in a back pocket. Being held up is scarier, if more unlikely. The best advice is to keep to where there are a lot of people. Don't ride in empty cars, specifically at night. Try to board with others. Wait for your train where there are people around.

As a single woman, as well as a mom, I have never had any problems. Just take those above precautions and you'll be fine. I'm not paranoid but it's automatic and don't think about it anymore.

Someone mentioned elevators. Depending on the city, that might be a bad idea. Isolated in an elevator could put you in a vulnerable position. Fold the stroller and use the stairs or escalators. Be sure to have a good quality baby carrier. if your children are potty-trained, or almost, be sure to pass by the restroom before setting out. For babies in diapers, perhaps do a change before leaving. The facilities in stations are usually less than ideal and may be dodgy and good luck finding a clean changing table.

Check about food and drink. What are the rules? In Singapore and San Francisco, eating, even a small child having a snack, can carry a heavy fine.

Just as a side note, often signals are cut when you go underground or in tunnels so your cell phone might not work, including no internet connection on your smart phone or tablet. Mentioning this to avoid counting on either to entertain children.

Another plus; children love public transport. We didn't move to the 'burbs but we bought a house at the perimeter so we too, use the car mostly too. Ever since they were really little, they like taking buses, trams and metros when we can. They like moving around, looking out the windows and checking out the crowd. Older children like to figure out where they are on the maps, and where they're going.

Kids wont associate transport always with being strapped down. Mine even ask to take the train instead!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC