Next step in travel seat after Cosco Scenera?

J

jenmn

Hi! We have been using a Cosco Scenera as a travel car seat for my daughter for a few years. Now we are passing that seat down to my youngest and need a new seat for my oldest. She is 6 years old but only 39 pounds. I would still like her in a 5 point harness as I do not trust that she will sit properly for a seat belt yet.

I'd like a seat that is lightweight and inexpensive (like the Cosco Scenera) so that it is easy to take with us when traveling via airplane. Also, I don't want to spend a lot so if it gets damaged by the airline, it wouldn't be too expensive to replace.

This seat will also be used occasionally at home as a second seat. Her main seat is a Britax Frontier 85, which we love but is it too heavy and expensive for traveling.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions! :)
Jen

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

Your six year old's shoulders are below the top slot of the Scenera? She's tiny then, since most kids outgrow the seat long before four years old by shoulder height. What's her shirt size?

You'll be checking the carseat? That's not recommended. Airlines do not guarantee against damage or loss. I'd either take it on board, or buy something you can carry with you like a Ride Safer Travel Vest and use that for travel.

How old is your Scenera? Is it expiring shortly and do you need it replaced soon as well?

If you'll use it on board and she wears under a size 7 shirt you could look at the Evenflo Maestro.

Wendy

linneabw

I've heard that the Evenflo Sureride is a good choice. Tall slots and harness up to 65 lbs, but it's Light weight and easy to install.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the reply!

I have three kids:
6yrs (39lbs, 46in, size 4 or 5 shirt)
3yrs (31lbs, 36in, size 3 shirt)
9m (22lbs, 28in, size 12 or 18 months shirt)

We have three car seats in our main car:
1 Britax Frontier 85 (brand new)
2 Britax Boulevard 70G3 (brand new)

We have two car seats in our second car:
Cosco Scenera (expiring in Dec 2016)
Cosco Scenera (expiring in Dec 2014)

We have been taking the Cosco Scenera's with us when we travel via airplane with the two older kids. We check the car seats fully knowing that the airline will not replace them if lost or damaged. (One reason we buy cheaper seats to travel with!) On the airplane, we use CARES restraints for the kids. We used to gate check the car seats, but it has just become unmanageable once we had two kids and two car seats, and now we have three.

I will double check on where the shoulder straps are with my oldest when she is in the Cosco Scenera. I think we are okay for now, but I think she would just be more comfortable in a bigger seat.

Thanks again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What do you use for your baby on board? Kids should be in restraints from the allowed flying age of seven days until they are about 40 pounds (when the lap belt generally fits). Unfortunately, the CARES doesn't tighten the lap belt, often provides a lousy lap belt position, and I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with your kids' life saving devices. Do you trust after being thrown around so much that the Sceneras will work properly in a crash when it really matters?

The six year old can go without anything on the plane and can use a backless booster (if you're ok with that) when you travel. Maybe a Ride Safer Travel Vest. Either way, bring it on board with you.

For your three year old if they're forward facing I'd get an Evenflo Maestro. Again, bring it on board.

I'd chuck the two Sceneras you have now because no way would I put my own child in either of them after they'd been handed to people who throw luggage for a living, and I'd buy a new one for the baby and use that on board for the baby.

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYWuO20fCM

To get them through the airport I'd get a luggage trolley with bungee cords ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Folding-Size/dp/B002Q4V16A/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1362478517&sr=1-4&keywords=folding+luggage+cart) and put the Maestro on it, then the Scenera on top of the Maestro, then bungee them in. Wear the baby, the six and three year old walk and each have small backpacks. Check your luggage. Or, if you don\'t check luggage (we don\'t) I\'d get two Traveling Toddlers (http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362478580&sr=8-1&keywords=traveling+toddler"]404 Looking for Something?[/ame]) and attach one seat to each rolling bag. Then the younger kids can ride in the carseats in the airport.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmJr1a-BHU&feature=player_embedded"]Mistreating luggage - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KobAptkbfM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Southwest Airlines Agent kicks our infant car seat down the ramp - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Do you trust the Sceneras will save your kids' lives? I'd replace them.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC