Finally Found a Vintage Strolee Seat

BabyGearCollector

YAY!!! :) Took awhile, but I landed this early 1970s Classic Strolee seat a little while back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toys-prams/8470576827/in/photostream
The chrome plating needs some serious cleaning up and there are two small seam splits on the head restraint pads, but the seat and back pads are perfect as are the straps. This is a rarer-to-find white vinyl model. Most of them I ever saw back then were either black or brown. I also spotted one in a gold color vinyl back in the early 1980s at a flea market. It wasn't in too good of shape even back then with seat pad split open in a few places. Please don't ask me how much I paid for this one because, if you knew, you'd swear I was ready to be committed!;)

I noticed someone posted a thread in recent months about hanging onto car seats even though no longer used: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=235692&highlight=vintage+seat This Strolee certainly falls into that category because it obviously won't see any more use and it's definitely a keeper with me.

Dave

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Man, that would look GOOD in a big ol' 70's convertible with white leather interior. Seriously, cool find! (And they are getting rarer and more expensive with every BRU trade in, I'm sure, you wouldn't believe how many classic things we get piled up in our warehouse every six months, nothing that nice, though, lol).

BabyGearCollector

Thanks! :) I really should check out local classic car shows just to see if anyone has these older seats on display in their cars. For some reason I've always liked the design of Strolee seats of this era, more so than similarly made Peterson, Jamy, etc. car seats. These seats are getting nearly impossible to find which is why I grabbed this one up for more than I really had planned to pay for one. Looking at it from a safety standpoint, I guess that's good, for it means there's less chance of someone foolishly trying to use one with their child. However, looking at it from a collector's viewpoint, it kinda sucks. :(

Dave

tjham

Man, that would look GOOD in a big ol' 70's convertible with white leather interior. Seriously, cool find! (And they are getting rarer and more expensive with every BRU trade in, I'm sure, you wouldn't believe how many classic things we get piled up in our warehouse every six months, nothing that nice, though, lol).

Do they ever save any of the really old time historical seats for posterity?

BabyGearCollector

That is really cool! How did it attach to the car?

Here's a page which has the installation instructions for a similar Strolee seat: http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal/2012/jan/26/photo-friday-70s-carseat/

The rear part of the bottom frame members angle up to fit up under the seat back of a car. Then the adult seat belt wraps around the rear part of the frame. One problem with these seats is that they could fold up with a child if forward facing in a frontal crash.

Dave

julia94115

We had this seat for my sister circa 1971. I seem to remember hers having these two big metal hooks that it hooked onto the back seat as well as jamming that metal bar into the seat blight.

Could that be correct?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do they ever save any of the really old time historical seats for posterity?

Only in pictures, if there happens to be a seat geek at the store :eek: (everything that comes in gets piled in a hodgepodge on a pallet and wrapped with plastic within a day, and sent off in a truck ASAP).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC