Help for 3 mo. old- switch to advocate from chaperone- advice and help

U

Unregistered

Hi! I have a 3 month old who weighs 13 pounds now. She has reflux and food issues which sometimes cause her to spit up very thick spitup which she has a harder time dealing with if not upright. I had purchased a Britax Chaperone for her before her birth which we have been using since. Incidentally, I was in a pretty bad crash with her when she was just 4 weeks old and though I was hurt and our car was totalled, she was completely fine- Go britax! I obviously went out an got a replacement seat- the same kind right away to put in our replacement car- a 2007 Grand Caravan.

My issue is this: she cries every time we put her in the car seat- has since day one. She doesn't stop like most kids do, or fall asleep in it. She will scream for over an hour - that is the longest I've had to go without stopping to comfort her. It is awful to hear and very distracting. SHe is our youngest- we also have 12yo and 10yo, who go to a private school 25 min away and play travel hockey, cheer, and bball all at the same time. Needless to say, I'm in the car a lot.

I was searching for ideas to help her out and came across some people who suggested buying a convertible seat for babies who are very uncomfortable due to reflux since it holds them in a different position which may reduce the severity of their reflux. When at home, she hates to be reclined as well- always wants to be held up on your shoulder or sit up straight with assistance. I had to find a bouncy seat that sits her very upright while keeping her back straight as well. This seems to me like it might work.

My best friend just purchased a Britax Advocate yesterday and let me play with it and put her in it to see what she looked like. She seemed to like it at least in front of the tv. I'm considering purchasing one today but would like your opinions. Will she be as safe? Is the angle that she will be sitting at in the Advocate the same as the angle she would be sitting at in the Chaperone? The extra attached headprotection devices are closer to her head in the chaperone than the advocate- does this make her head/neck less safe and is there a way to protect her more if I do this?

I know that most aftermarket infant head inserts are not safe since they go behind the babies head. I did purchase a britax infant positioner- but I got it to use just in her stroller when she was tiny. I'm assuming it would be a bad idea to use that too even though it says tested for safety in britax carseats. Should I do the rolled up receiving blankets? Why is it safe for the Advocate to sit up straighter than the chaperone- like if I set up the chaperone to sit up straighter by adjusting the base etc it would not be considered safe but that same angle that is "normal" in the advocate is safe? Also I noticed the advocate manual says that you need to make sure the angle is 30-45degrees and there is a blue line on the car seat that is supposed to help but it is not written clearly how to use it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to waste a ton of money if this won't help or isn't safe, but we are all miserable and need to find a solution. Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

MamaErin

I'm not really sure about the Advocate as I have no experience with the seat but I thought this would bump the thread for you so someone else can chime in.

I will say that the infant carriers are not any safer than a convertible as long as she fits properly in the convertible. Some convertibles do not fit young babies well as the bottom harness slots are too high (they need to be AT or BELOW the shoulders to RF). I am not sure how the Advocate is for babies that young so hopefully someone can help with that. There are plenty of people here that skip infant carriers all together and use convertibles from birth.

Last edited:

featherhead

Actually, many infant seats have a range for the angle as well. I'm not sure if the Chaperone does, as I have never seen one IRL. But the Keyfit does, Graco seats do, Some Dorel seats do as well. Those are the ones I am familiar with.

Sometimes it is also the shape of the infant seat that causes problems. It is perfectly fine to try a convertible, as long as she fits well. Her shoulders need to be above the bottom harness position for her to fit properly.

There are many other seats you could try, it wouldn't have to be the Advocate. You could try a cheaper Britax, like the Marathon or Roundabout. They are the same shell as the advocate, just differ with the headwings and the "airbags" on the side of the seat. Or you could try a completely different seat. The Scenera is a nice cheap seat that could work.

Hi there!

I'm so glad to hear that you and baby escaped the accident.

Britax convertibles are great, I have a few, but they aren't the "safest" or "best". No one car seat, that we are aware of, is safer than any other. They all pass the same standardized tests, which are quite stringent. Rest assured that price does not mean safety.

What does make any car seat "safer", however, is how well it is installed, used, cared for and how well it fits your child, vehicle and lifestyle, and how long your child remains rear facing in the seat.

I can only imagine the frustration you face with a baby who cannot be comfortable in the car. A few things that may help could be new toys just for the car( i.e she can't take them into the house), when she's a little older a book with sound buttons, a CD with fun songs from a favourite show, etc.

rachelandtyke

You can adjust the recline on your chaperone. When the bubble is between the two lines, if it is closer to the back of the car, the seat is more reclined. If it is closer to the front of the car, the seat is more upright. I don't know what those angles work out to be, but the manual says anywhere between the two lines is acceptable. I would try that first since you just recently replaced your chaperone.

Would your friend let you borrow the advocate for a drive to see how she really does? Sitting on the floor vs being installed in the car does make a difference in how a seat fits a child and their comfort in it.

abigaylebelle

I agree with the others to try installing the chaperone a little bit more upright to see if it is better for her. Make sure she doesn't hang her head forward though since she is still pretty young.

Also the advocate works great for young infants. I doubt you will need the additional infant insert with a 3 month old. I brought my newborn home in a new britax convertible seat a few months ago and she only needed the infant insert for about 2 months.

MamaErin

Just to reply to MamaErin, a new gen Britax convertible would absolutely fit a 3 month old just fine.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the new generation would, I saw an old thread about how the Advocate didn't fit newborns or smaller infants too well because the harness height was something like 10 inches but I wasn't sure if that was accurate for the new generation or not.

Last edited:

jess71903

Ambassador
I always think of a Radian for babies with reflux. The seat back is very straight, and it is allowed to be installed as upright as you can get it, which, with the new angle adjuster, is really pretty upright.

To answer some of your questions, yes, it is just as safe (actually probably safer IMO) to have a seat more upright for a child with head control. The 45 degree angle required on many infant seats is necessary to keep a newborns airway open. Older babies can right their heads, and their airway doesn't cut off as easily as a newbie's does.

We really don't know anything about how head protection in one seat differs from another as far as safety goes. It's really all marketing with no real basis for comparison. If it makes you feel better, then by all means, but side impact protection is inherently greater in rear-facing seats anyway.

I personally don't like the Advocate just because I don't think those pillows are necessary. If I were going to buy a Britax convertible, it'd be a Roundabout 55 or Marathon 70. Again, that's personal choice, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC