Chest clip for a Britax Multitech. Was: Catarina

I have a britax multitech car seat. Please tell me if is there any chest clip for this car seat? How can I buy one? I live in Europe. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS
Thanks. My Kid manage To take his arms out, even when I tie him up. The only thing I thought it would work was a chest clip, so I tried To find one To britax multitech, buy looks like it's impossible. What do You suggest ?

twinsmom

I would contact Hakan at carseat.se. He is very knowledgeable about the multitech and other Swedish seats. He should be able to help you. Good luck!

Adventuredad

There is a simple chest clip available from Akta/Graco. It's not a good fit for MT though since the large shoulder pads are in the way.

The best way to solve this issue is to have a serious conversation with your child. Make it very clear that the car will not move if he/she tries to get out of the harness. Perhaps also add that the favorite toy/blanket will go in the trash if it happens again.

This normally works well for kids 18+ months.

O found an home mad solution that I'd like to share with you. This totally resolved my problem.

Attachments

• image-692534125.jpg
    image-692534125.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1297477878.jpg
    image-1297477878.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-957986817.jpg
    image-957986817.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 91
I made a thin incision on the sponge that protects the stripes from The seatbelt, and the new stripe passes over and then underneath The stripe from the seatbelt. then, with fire ( matches) attach both parts from the new stripe ( make some pression with a nife to "glue" while stripe' s still hot). The new stripe is not attached to the seatbelt stripe, so that it runs thru.
Hope To explain it well.

tiggercat

I made a thin incision on the sponge that protects the stripes from The seatbelt, and the new stripe passes over and then underneath The stripe from the seatbelt. then, with fire ( matches) attach both parts from the new stripe ( make some pression with a nife to "glue" while stripe' s still hot). The new stripe is not attached to the seatbelt stripe, so that it runs thru.
Hope To explain it well.

I am pretty sure Britax would not approve/allow use of such a modification of their carseat. If they'd meant for it to have a chest clip, they would provide one, or make an optional one available.

While the playing with fire part sounds fun ( :) ), your modification is going to alter how the harness functions in a crash, which may reduce your child's safety. I would strongly recommend removing it and ordering new harness pads, and using your seat as it is designed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

KaiLing

From looking at the photos, I think your straps aren't tight enough, and the problem can be solved with tighter straps. I say this because of the angle of the straps--on my child the straps are far more up and down (and parallel). Tightening the MT's straps can get difficult sometimes, if things get caught up in the back. One trick is to move the slack from the front by the child's leg and then pull the harness tightener.

kmw

From looking at the photos, I think your straps aren't tight enough, and the problem can be solved with tighter straps. I say this because of the angle of the straps--on my child the straps are far more up and down (and parallel). Tightening the MT's straps can get difficult sometimes, if things get caught up in the back. One trick is to move the slack from the front by the child's leg and then pull the harness tightener.

This was my first thought too.. .the straps are much too loose and this is why he is able to get out of the harness.

Agree with everyone else that your modification could well cause the entire harness to fail under the stress of an accident.

finn

I think the straps could be tighter too.

What it looks like she has done, is to pass the fabric over the car seat harness strap, under the harness cover and out the other side, essentially making a loop that is held in place by the foam of the harness pad, then she has burnt the end of the fabric (to stop fraying and such) and while it was hot has pressed the fabric onto itself, then threaded the fabric onto the buckle and done the same on the other side.

I imagine the burnt end of the fabric would give way in a crash as the plastic buckles have a fairly high weight rating.

Keeanh

I don't think the seat is in any way compromised. I think she only cut the foam on the covers and looped around the harness. That said, it's not a good idea to add things to the seat. I would phone Britax and see if they have any recommendations.

I think a better solution would be to put a thin jacket or sweater on him, buckle him with the sweater un-zipped, and then zip the sweater up over top of the harness.

tiggercat

I don't think the seat is in any way compromised. I think she only cut the foam on the covers and looped around the harness. That said, it's not a good idea to add things to the seat. I would phone Britax and see if they have any recommendations.

I think a better solution would be to put a thin jacket or sweater on him, buckle him with the sweater un-zipped, and then zip the sweater up over top of the harness.

Aren't those pads required and functional (for lack of a better word) in a crash? If so, cutting through them could have consequences, no?

I agree with the sweater idea, and tightening up the harness straps and making sure they are up on his shoulders, not slipping off the side. I'd also take a look at the headrest height: don't the straps have to be slightly above the shoulders in the MT?

finn

tiggercat said:
Aren't those pads required and functional (for lack of a better word) in a crash? If so, cutting through them could have consequences, no?

I agree with the sweater idea, and tightening up the harness straps and making sure they are up on his shoulders, not slipping off the side. I'd also take a look at the headrest height: don't the straps have to be slightly above the shoulders in the MT?

I was thinking about this last night, and it does look like the headrest/harness should go up a click and that will probably help. I'm pretty sure the pads are required on the MT.

KaiLing

I have not talked to Britax about it, but I'd be shocked if the pads were not required / functional on the MT. They're very substantial and I don't believe you can remove them (though I haven't tried). That said, mine do have some nicks in them and I haven't until now thought that I should be worried about it (and now I'm considering where to go from here...)

AK Dad

Absolutely they are functional. We have two Multi-Techs, and those are not just "pads" - they're attached separately to the backrest and the shoulder straps actually slide through them. I haven't had hands-on with the new Britax Advocates here in the US, but from what I saw on their website it's what they've adopted for the new generation "HUGS" chest pads.

As for why there's no chest clip on european seats, it's first off because europeans aren't afraid to tighten the straps enough, and secondly because the ECE R44.04 regs require that the child be removed by a single button push with one hand.

AK Dad

In fact, here's the first thing on the Multi-Tech manual's first page:
MTWarn.jpg

Now I don't think we should be too hard on the person who posted the modification, since I will admit when we first got the MT I was uncomfortable with the lack of chest clip and added one below the shoulder pads (without any mod to the shoulder pads). It didn't do any good anyway, and once we got used to properly tightening the straps and teaching the kids that trying to "escape" was unacceptable I could see it wasn't worth it, and now with more experience (and as a CPST) I know I shouldn't have attempted any mod. However, I do understand where she's coming from.

That being said though, I agree that she should order some replacement pads from Britax ASAP!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC