Car Seat for Trip to Florida

U

Unregistered

We're taking my 2 girls to Disney in April. We need car seats to put into the rental cars when we get there. I don't want to rent car seats.

My 6 year old (47.5", 51 lbs.) is currently 5 point harnessed in a Britax Frontier 85, but I don't want to fly with the seat. It's just bulky, and if anything happens to it, it's an expensive seat to replace. Actually, we're planning to convert it to the shoulder belt soon because her shoulder is just about above the top slot.

Any suggestions on an alternate seat that will be safe, affordable, and easy to fly with? Do I need to keep her in a high back booster, even if we think she'll be switching over to the shoulder belt by then?

My 3 year old (38.5", 37 lbs) is currently FF in the Britax Marathon. She'll be almost 4 when we travel. We will most likely travel with the Marathon and one of those rolly things for the airport unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thank you so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome!

The Frontier 85 has 20" top slots. That's the average torso height of a 10 year old or so. At 47.5" tall I'd be surprised if your daughter has a 20" torso. Is it possible you have a Frontier 80, or can the 85 go higher as a harness than you think? It's not a big deal if you'r switching over to a booster soon anyway, it just doesn't sound like what I know of that seat.

If she sits well in a booster and she won't be sleeping at all on the trip I'd take a backless booster for her. Maybe a BubbleBum if you're going to be doing a lot of traveling (it's inflatable, so you can stuff it in a suitcase). Otherwise a Harmony Lite Rider is very lightweight and easy to travel with. You can't use it on board, you'll put these in the overhead.

For your three year old if you're up for buying a new seat I'd check out the Evenflo Maestro. It has 18" top slots and a 50 pound harness limit, but it's very lightweight. 10.8 pounds versus the Marathon's 16. It also doesn't require a seatbelt extender forward facing like the Marathon does.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC