Flying to the UK with a 3 year old

U

Unregistered

Hey,

I'm flying to England in 2 weeks with my DD who is 3. She is currently in a Graco MyRide FF. The MyRide is way too bulky and heavy to take...so I'm trying to figure out what would be the best to buy and 38inches tall. Any suggestions? Cheaper the better lol

Thank You!

ADS

cantabdad

I think others will be able to give you better info, but just to get the ball rolling, I would conside looking at a Britax Roundabout, Cosco Scenera, or Evenflo Maestro. These are all a little bit slimmer and lighter than the MyRide.

We have used a Roundabout many times and have never had problems installing it on various aircraft of different sizes/configurations.

The Maestro is less expensive and a bit lighter, and as a combination seat that converts to a booster, it may last you longer. The Scenera is the lightest and least expensive of the 3, but (I think) would be outgrown relatively quickly, possibly already outgrown if your child has a long torso.

Would this carseat be just for the plane ride or also for use in a car once you're in the UK? I might consider something with lock-offs (e.g. Roundabout) unless you know that the vehicle you'll be using has Isofix (LATCH) or has locking seatbelts. Otherwise you will need a locking clip, which I personally find hard to work with.

Also, which airline is this? As you probably know, some of the non-US carriers have restrictions on carseat use that may limit your options further. If there is a codeshare, the policies that govern are the ones of the airline that is actually operating the service.

Finally, if your airline permits the use of CARES and you think your daughter would be comfortable in the airplane seat without the support of a carseat, you might consider CARES ($75) which attaches to the lap belt. I've never used it and people here seem to have mixed opinions.

MommaMia

We just flew to/from disney using the CARES harness. DD is 30#, 34.5" and 3yo. I barely got the airline belt tight enough. And he HATED the harness. She couldn't see out the window, kept sliding down, and was just displeased. Only reason I did CARES over a carseat was that we were using bus transportation once we arrived so no need for a carseat after the plane. In the future, ill suck it up and lug the carseat.

newyorkDOC

Also not all cars in Europe have top tethers so you'll want a seat that doesn't require anchor points assuming your child rides FF.

We use cares and love it. We mainly do the transatlantic flight. Within Europe most carriers won't allow it. But we also have an RSTV and keep a car seat at my parents house in the US.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for all your help and info! My sister has a car seat ready for me in England so i'm lucky enough not to have to worry about that. I had thought about getting the CARES but not sure if DD would be comfortable using it....its still an option though. I considered the Scenera but my DD is almost too big for it...so I wouldnt get much use from it other than this. I looked at getting the Cosco high back booster seat...what are yall opinion for using it on the plane? The Maestro is an option too. I hate making these decisions! I want her harnessed though so I need something. We are flying AA.

jinn_him

Thank yall for your help! I had forgotten my password so posted the guestion as a guest.

Anyway, My sister has a car seat for us to use when we get to England so i'm lucky enough not to have to worry about that. I ahve thought about using CARES....it certainly would be easier than hauling a car seat around. Its an option...where is the best place to buy them from?

I considered the Scenera....but my DD is almost too big for it and so I wouldnt get much use out if it other than this.

The Maestro is a good idea though. I was also thinking about maybe a Cosco high back booster as i'd get more use out of it....what are yalls thoughts on this?

I'm flying AA by the way.

cantabdad

You can get CARES through Amazon if your local shop doesn't carry it. As you saw from the responses, some people love it and others do not.

You can't use a booster on the plane because there is no shoulder belt. Combination seats like the Maestro are generally FAA-approved if used in 5-point harness mode, but not as a booster.

jinn_him

You can get CARES through Amazon if your local shop doesn't carry it. As you saw from the responses, some people love it and others do not.

You can't use a booster on the plane because there is no shoulder belt. Combination seats like the Maestro are generally FAA-approved if used in 5-point harness mode, but not as a booster.

Thank You! I knew I was missing something when I was thinking about the high back booster...thanks for letting me know!

I checked on amazon and I can get CARES for around $60 which will be cheaper than getting a Maestro. I'm still worried about using the CARES though. I can use a Scenera FF on the plane right? Thinking about just getting one for this trip and i'll sell it afterwards seeing as I wont have any use for it.

jinn_him

Just to make sure....the cosco high back booster has a harness.....and then can be used with a shoulder belt....just like the Maestro.....but I still cant use it on the plane...is it not FAA approved?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
They're both FAA approved in harness mode only.

The Cosco Highback Booster is very short (about the same height as the Scenera) and therefore outgrown long before most kids are ready for a belt positioning booster seat. It also does a poor job of routing the belt making it dangerous as a belt positioning booster.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd buy a Maestro and use it here and in the car in the UK. I'd be worried you're going to get there and be handed a booster seat to use for your three year old.

If it's got a harness then provided she's not too heavy or tall (you didn't mention her weight or torso height) then you can definitely use it. You'd then have the Maestro as a backup seat.

Safe trip!

Wendy

newyorkDOC

Does your sister have kids that she night want to use a HWH with? Bc currently the only harness beyond 18 kg is the TWE so most kids move to booster at 18 kg. Unless she has a TWE for you, if your dd is over 35 lbs, there's no harness option for her. If your sister has kids that could use the harness, you could bring either a maestro or a nautilus and then leave it there. We've got the nautilus in Europe but its only certified for harness use to 18 kg.

But I'll be honest and tell you that I seriously hate travelling with seats and basically avoid travel where I'll need a seat between bucket and RSTV age. But like I said, my daughter loves flying so comfort on the plane has never been a complaint of hers.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does your sister have kids that she night want to use a HWH with? Bc currently the only harness beyond 18 kg is the TWE so most kids move to booster at 18 kg. Unless she has a TWE for you, if your dd is over 35 lbs, there's no harness option for her. If your sister has kids that could use the harness, you could bring either a maestro or a nautilus and then leave it there. We've got the nautilus in Europe but its only certified for harness use to 18 kg.

But I'll be honest and tell you that I seriously hate travelling with seats and basically avoid travel where I'll need a seat between bucket and RSTV age. But like I said, my daughter loves flying so comfort on the plane has never been a complaint of hers.

Well, unless she's moving to the UK, she'll need the Maestro or whatever seat she buys on the way back, too. She's buying it for the plane, not the car over there.

OP, I'm not sure what you've traveled with in the past in terms of carseat transport, but getting wheels under any seat (Traveling Toddler, luggage cart, stroller, GoGo Kidz, etc.) makes life SIGNIFICANTLY easier. Laine rides in her seat on my suitcase. Then I have a backpack. Very easy to get her and it through the airport.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC