Question Tall infant and planning for next round of seats

D

Deecee10

Hello friends I have two main questions. First a bit of background, our 4 month old is "off the chart " for height at 28 inches already. Our key fit 30 maxes out at 30 so we need to start planning for new convertibles (and yes he is closely approaching the 1" from the top too) .

We use both cars to drop off/pick up daily so we need two seats but I want to try to get something good that will last the longest for my tall guy!

For my own car, a Pontiac Aztec I am between a britax blvd 70 and marathon.
I have read a lot if tall forum questions that recommend the marathon but none seem to mention the blvd, so I first would like to know if the blvd is recommended for the height max,as I have plenty if space in my backseat to make it happen.

The second question I for my husbands car. A tiny Kia Rio, that barely fits the key fit base and seat, with both seats pushed up. I was trying to find a good small one that we can use rear facing for awhile and then ff when necessary. But I have no idea what might fit, but ideally last for awhile.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.
We have bru and bbb here so we can go try some out but I would love the recommendations of what to pick up and what to avoid for him so I have a guideline and real-life knowledge not just "it fits!" Decision making

Thanks in advance!!

ADS

mrosehughes

My DS hovers around 97th percentile for height and 80+ for weight, so maybe I can help :)

First, two questions: is your DS 'off the charts' for weight as well? (although at four months my DS was, and he fell a bit at one year). What are your RFing goals? The AAP recommends RFing to two or the limits of your seat, but with a tall/big child, the seat you pick will have a big impact on when he outgrows it RFing. Many folks on this forum like to RF to 3 or 4 at a minimum.

If your DS is off the charts for height only and not for weight, then a good option might be a truefit. They have a tall shell, but only a 35 lb weight limit.

If he's off the charts for weight as well, then a radian, foonf, or complete air have a higher weight limit (45 depending on model, 50, and 40 lbs, respectively) and also have a tall shell. They have overall RFing height limits of 44", 43", and 40" -- all but the complete air will likely get your DS RFing to three unless he outgrows by weight (possible) or torso length (unlikely, unless he's very long-torsoed).

Most of those seats need a near 45 degree incline for your DS right now but can be installed more upright when he gets a little older (to help with front to back install space); for the radian you can get an angle adjuster and install pretty upright when he's close to a year, which can dramatically improve room in the front of the car. We have a radian in our Prius (not a very big car) and can put the front seats all the way back.

I didn't mention a britax (blvd or marathon) because our experience with the blvd is that DS had very little leg room after about 9 months, which I think is a common complaint. They also don't have very tall shells.

Kegracin

I would not recommend the MA70 or BLVD70 for a little person on the top of the charts with a tall torso especially if you want the seat to last rear facing. My littlest was in one for a while but out grew it around her second birthday, I loved that seat and was very sad when she out grew it rear facing. (We had a space issue we I had two RFers an a tall DH.)

Besides the one PP above posted you may also want to check out the Graco Size4me/mysize70.

Stelvis

Yeah, I love love love my Boulevard, but it likely won't get us even to age 2 rearfacing with my super tall baby. My 4 year old has outgrown it completely.

I second looking at a Size 4 Me 70/My Size 70.

MommyShannon

The Pria is another option for a taller seat that might fit in a smaller place. The reason you see the Marathon mentioned and not the Blvd, is they are the same basic seat. The shell is the same, but the Blvd has head wings and costs more. The different models just keep adding features. So if a Marathon is recommended for someone, any of the new Gen Britax seats besides the Roundabout 55 will meet the same need. I agree with everyone else unfortunately, its an awesome seat but not long lasting for a tall kiddo. The True Fit is incredibly tall if the 35lb rf limit is ok. The Radian would be great if you can fit it at an ok angle for now. Once he's older, you can use the angle adjuster that will make it more upright and it would fit better.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I won't recommend a Britax seat either. We have kids that are high on the charts or off. They all outgrow their Britax rf by shortly after 2y and ff before 4y. Not long lasting seats for us.

I would look at radians, graco size4me70, first years truefit, and maxi visit pria.

zapzipzee

DD has been in 98%ile for height but only 30ish for weight. We went with the SK Radian XTSL. It's narrow, and fits well in small cars between the front seats RF....We had it in our Ford Focus. It might work for both your vehicles. I got it because it has the tallest RF limit, and my goal is to 4yrs. We'll see if we get there, but I know we wouldn't if I'd gone with another seat.

However, my mom has a pontiac grand prix, and it doesnt' fit well in it because of the angle of the back seats, and how wide the front seat is. We also cant install it in my sister's Jeep Liberty without borrowing latch... :(

Good Luck!

Stelvis

Only thing with the Pria is that it has a strict 40" rear facing height limit. Your baby is going to be probably at least 33" at a year, so 40" may not get you much past 2.5.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
DD has been in 98%ile for height but only 30ish for weight. We went with the SK Radian XTSL. It's narrow, and fits well in small cars between the front seats RF....We had it in our Ford Focus. It might work for both your vehicles. I got it because it has the tallest RF limit, and my goal is to 4yrs. We'll see if we get there, but I know we wouldn't if I'd gone with another seat.

However, my mom has a pontiac grand prix, and it doesnt' fit well in it because of the angle of the back seats, and how wide the front seat is. We also cant install it in my sister's Jeep Liberty without borrowing latch... :(

Good Luck!

The Radian is not the tallest. That would be the Graco Size4Me. And you can install it in the center of a Liberty, you just use the seatbelt.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC