Will the laws ever change on rear facing?

dd9736

It's not?..... shoot..... LOL

One thing I've found quite "funny" especially now I have my 2 year old RF is how concerned people are for his ENTERTAINMENT! LOL. As in, wont he get bored? Where's he gonna look? Doesn't he get bored looking at the back seat? Ummm, I have windows in my car and there is such a thing as toys ;)

Next time someone says something about his Entertainment, I'm going to tell them what my BIL's g/f said, she looked at DS in his rearfacing seat, and said, "I'm jealous, he gets to look out the back window, he has the best view" She's 18 years old, and would rather look out the back than the front, imagine what a 2 y/o thinks about seeing things no one else in the car (except rfing siblings) can see, and they can share those 'secrets' with rfing siblings.

ADS

keri1292

We have a F150 '98, Subaru Outback '97, and RAV4 '06, and have two Roundabouts, a Marathon and a Decathalon btw.

So you want to legislate what kind of vehicle every family can drive? How tall parents are allowed to be? Should we make it mandatory that every parent drive a late model minivan?

Is your RA tethered RFing and are you adjusting the recline for age? 30-45 degrees is acceptable. Toddlers can sit at 30degrees and that makes it compatible with most cars. My son sits very upright in his MA which has been installed in a teeny Dodge Stratus. And I have a 36" inseam! Seat goes way back for me to drive. There are also a few people with MA's installed RFing in 2-door cars on this site. So, there may be hope for RFing longer. :thumbsup:

Melizerd

So you want to legislate what kind of vehicle every family can drive? How tall parents are allowed to be? Should we make it mandatory that every parent drive a late model minivan?

My DH is 6'5" and we drive a small car. With a more upright angle there's still room for him to drive. The Passenger side seat is only one click forward. We have a Marathon in the back.

I have a friend who's got a Prius with a Marathon RFing in her car too. Her DH is 6'3" and they both have room. There are very few cars out there that you REALLY couldn't do it in.

I think that changing the legislation isn't going to be easy but when has it ever been to change things?

Remember Maragaret Mead? (Google or Wiki her if you don't know who she is) She said "Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world, Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has "

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's actually only 'legislation' to 1 and 20 in a few states currently, anyway... some states do mandate 'proper use' and some seats do say at least 1 and 22 to ff (and 34 inches tall..yay, cosco!)... so what we are waiting on is the official minimum recommendation to creep up... currently 'to the maximum of a convertible seat' is a good way of putting it, I think carseat.org says 18-24 months, I'd like '2 or 30'... things are moving along... :)

Brendan's Mom

I just had my second child this week and as we were getting all of our paperwork they included a sheet on car seats. I was amazed that it only spoke of ERF. It said nothing about turning the child around at 20lbs, but said the child should be rear facing until he/she reaches the limits of the seat (around 30-35lbs). They even said it was safer for the child. I was pleasantly surprised. Change is slow, but there is hope!! Tasha

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
A LOT of pedis will tell you to turn them around at 1 and don't recommend ERF!

SOME will even tell you it's okay to turn your 24lb 9mo forward facing because he's heavy enough and has good head control...soo clueless these pediatricians are. Just saw this at a seat check last Saturday.

I'm afraid to ask my ped. what his thoughts are. I'm afraid if he gives me the wrong answer I might have to go find another doctor...hahaha You would think with our DD only weighing 17lbs at 15mo he would say something like "You know you need to keep her rear-facing until she hits 20lbs." Oh well maybe it will give me the opportunity possibly educate him and leave my tech/business cards at the receptionist counter.

skaterbabs

Also, there is no reason for any child to be turned FF before 30 lbs. Period. All convertible seats on the market RF to a minimum of 30 lbs now, and the cheapest seat available has a 35 lb limit and fits GREAT in small cars.

Northriver

the cheapest seat available has a 35 lb limit and fits GREAT in small cars.

Which seat? Why do you assume everyone knows what you are talking about? I'm been on this site for days looking for a little help and really I'm getting SO confused. Please be more specific, It would be extremely helpful to know which seat is the cheapest that fits great is small cars. Am I the only one who wants to know?

And yes to the PP, I do think I have the angle on my Roundabout too steep. I like to cinch it in with the tether so it doesn't move, but I realize that that is overkill. I was also confuse about the position. When I go to install, the first thing the directions say is to recline the seat for RF installation. Does it HAVE to be reclined or can it be installed upright RF? Again, how am I supposed to know?

I think I am going to step off this site for a few days until I cool down, because even though I have read all of my owners mauals, read all of my car seat manuals over and over until I have some parts memorized, talked to several dealers - you guys make me feel really STUPID.

I think it's silly to ask the pedi for car seat advice personally! They study medicine, not car seat safety. Just my :twocents: on that issue. A LOT of pedis will tell you to turn them around at 1 and don't recommend ERF!

Well i quest im the odd man out (and so is my cousin as well who has a different ped then i do ) cause my ped (and her's ) recommended to keep my DS RF for as long as possible or until they hit the max on their seat. And yes, alot of parents, specially first time parents, who don't know alot of babies, aske their peds about carseat safety. According to the AAP, which is the head huncho of peds, their recommendations are to keep your child RFing until they reach the max of height adn weight on their seats. Now, yes alot of peds are ignorant and don't follwo that recommendation, but alot of the younger peds, do indeed do that. ALso on the extended BFing thing, again must be the odd man out, cause my ped recommends both Etended BFIng AND (if the parents has to or choose FF) extended FF as well.

Beth

VLsMom

Which seat? Why do you assume everyone knows what you are talking about? I'm been on this site for days looking for a little help and really I'm getting SO confused. Please be more specific, It would be extremely helpful to know which seat is the cheapest that fits great is small cars. Am I the only one who wants to know?

And yes to the PP, I do think I have the angle on my Roundabout too steep. I like to cinch it in with the tether so it doesn't move, but I realize that that is overkill. I was also confuse about the position. When I go to install, the first thing the directions say is to recline the seat for RF installation. Does it HAVE to be reclined or can it be installed upright RF? Again, how am I supposed to know?

I think I am going to step off this site for a few days until I cool down, because even though I have read all of my owners mauals, read all of my car seat manuals over and over until I have some parts memorized, talked to several dealers - you guys make me feel really STUPID.

The Cosco Scenera is probably the one being referred to. It RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs. Its around $39 at Walmart.

LimePink

Senior Community Member
Cosco Scenera- Walmart- $40

Yes, it HAS to be reclined.

I'm positive no one on here meant to make you feel stupid. Most of us here came for car seat advice and ended up sticking around and being sucked into this car seat obsessed world! I for one didn't know much about car seats when I found this board and only lurked. I spent a YEAR before I felt comfortable enough to post. Stick around, things are overwheming at first, but I promise you that you will catch on. You'll be glad you did!

Northriver

Thanks for your help Limepink.

So I've invested in 4 Britax seats and now you guys tell me I need a $40 seat from Walmart instead? Obviously no one here wants anyone to feel stupid (I hope!), but see - knowing that I need the cheapo Walmart seat makes me feel really stupid.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
northriver - I bet your Britax will fit, with a few changes to your install. In order to install the seats more upright when rear-facing, try this method:
Put the seat in the recline position. Place the seat on the vehicle seat rear-facing, with the base pulled out from the bight/crack of the vehicle seat 2-3 inches. Install the seat using either LATCH or the seatbelt, pushing down at where your child's feet will be. The carseat will be very upright at this point. Put your front seat in the position you want it in for everyday driving. Attach your tether under the front seat and adjust the recline on the carseat. I have been amazed at the small cars this method has worked in!

Please don't leave - we really do want to help you and others. Sometimes we get a little overzealous! You have 4 WONDERFUL carseats and we want to see you use all of the features you paid good money for. These seats work great for extended rear-facing. Please continue to ask questions and stick around!!
Renee

LimePink

Senior Community Member
Thanks for your help Limepink.

So I've invested in 4 Britax seats and now you guys tell me I need a $40 seat from Walmart instead? Obviously no one here wants anyone to feel stupid (I hope!), but see - knowing that I need the cheapo Walmart seat makes me feel really stupid.

Walmart seat (Scenera) keeps them RF longer than a Britax and is the smallest/cheapest seat. It only FF to 40 lbs, so not a good seat long term, but definitely a good seat for ERF. If you're having problems RF a Britax in your car, there's a good chance a Scenera would fit as it's smaller. IDK your entire situation or I'd help more!

And don't feel bad about having 4 Britax's and possibly needing a Scenera. I currently have 2 Britax's, 1 Triumph, 3 infant carriers, and will be getting a Scenera for Grandma when they come out with the girly pattern in my Walmart. This is all for ONE child!! I've already sold some other seats in the yard sale too. Did I mention the only seats she fits in are the 2 Britax seats?:whistle:
I know there are many others on this board who can top me big time on how many seats they have! Just wait, it can get addicting 'adding' to your collection!

Northriver

Thanks again. I'll start another post another time to get help with my car. I know I'll get the help here to get DD RF a little longer but it is really a PITA. I really just want to turn my Roundabout around FF and be done with it - that was my understanding when I bought the seat, use it RF then turn it around. DD is 26.5#. What business does the government have telling me I have to buy a new seat for her to use until she gains another 3.5#? I just really don't think it is necessary. I see kids totally unrestrained on a regular basis. As a society, we have so much work to do - get to it. Why quibble about a kid like mine who has outgrown her RF convertible seat?

katiesmommy

Northriver, if you can post some pictures of your install, I bet lots of people on here could give you some tips and stuff to help you out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC