Persimmon

On 3rd recline position...

Headrest adjusted for DS who is 22 inch seated height:
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/Persimmon1/now_zpsee6dd0b6.jpg

Headrest adjusted to second from top:
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/Persimmon1/IMG_0914_zps42a43599.jpg

Side view with headrest second from top:
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/Persimmon1/IMG_0915_zps86d1d100.jpg

For now it does not block my blind spot or view backing up. DS just turned 3. He will have to go OB at some point. I was given an almost new Frontier 85 SICT so he could FF in that center if I can’t bear to move him OB. We had to get the Foonf because my husband would only get DS’s BLVD 70 harness tight enough about half the time. On the Foonf he will even overtighten so I am happy. DS gets in his seat without a fight now because he thinks it is his big boy seat. I hyped it up--showed him the video, let him pick out the color, etc. :D

ADS

Persimmon

Persimmon

Just to make sure I didn't confuse anyone with the headroom pic above. It is when the seat is adjusted for his height, not second notch from the top. Will post more pics when we get back from our trip and I can play with the seat in different positions.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do you like the seat?

I can't answer for OP, but I've helped 2 families with the seat so far in 2 very different vehicles, and both have been very happy with the seat and absolutely loved how their kids fit in it. Both kids have been seemingly comfy as well - one kid nearly fell asleep before leaving the parking lot.

Persimmon

I love the Foonf but maybe not for reasons that will apply to everyone. The most important reason is that I can continue to RF DS who just turned 3 and outgrew his BLVD 70 RF. Due to professional experiences, there was absolutely no way I was going to turn DS FF before 4 at the earliest if humanly possible. DH is car seat challenged so ease-of-use was paramount. It was hard for me to find a harness/buckle that is easier to use properly than the BLVD 70 but the Foonf is it. The IMMI harness/buckle/chest clip seem sturdy and well made. Installing seats tight enough is also a challenge for DH. I told him if he ever has to install the Foonf just to use the FF rigid LATCH for his van and attach the top tether. I figure he can do that properly and a proper FF is better than too loose RF. Unfortunately you can never use the LATCH RF and only to something like 28 lbs FF in a Subaru due to the heavy weight of the seat. The Subaru is my car so I really only have to worry about DH using the harness since he mostly sits in back with DS. That means we had to buy 2 Foonfs. Ouch.

Besides the dreamy harness, my son loves his Foonfs. We don't have to fight to get him into his seat anymore! I prefer a seat with anti-rebound and prefer a bar to a tether. The height for now isn't a problem in my car as far as seeing well. I will move him OB RF if it does. If FF height is a problem in the center, I am not sure what I will do. I was given an almost new Frontier 85 SICT from my sister so I feel like I have some great choices. Height isn't going to be an issue in DH's Mazda MPV van since DS rides behind the driver. My husband is 5'6" and he couldn't see well when it was in the other captain's chair pushed to the center. The alleged awesome safety features for FF are gravy. Since I don't get to pick when I may have an accident, not just what kind of accident I may have, I wanted to get the best seat for now and as far as possible into the future, and call it good. I don't let DS eat in his seat due to the choking risk so between that and the Crypton fabric the seat should wear well. I figure I can always sell it later.

The Forester skinny center seat has a hump but the Foonf fits well and doesn't interfere with the OB seat buckles. Even though it sits up high I am not sure what it will puzzle with OB in this car, if anything. I know it won't work with a BLVD 70 due to the OB seat shape. I can readily install it so that it barely moves and I am not the best at these things. I have had a tech approve it. I like how is doesn't have toxic chemicals, is made in Canada, and is recyclable. On one of my Foonfs, 1 of the 2 buttons that hold the rigid seat pad in place doesn't lock and the other is hard to release unless you push down on the seat pad on that side. The seat pad stays in place nicely though. Clek is replacing that seat due to a cosmetic defect in the cover. They were very pleasant to deal with and have always been very helpful when I have had any questions.

So, all in all I love my Foonf. I wish it didn't sit up so high but I believe that might be to accommodate the FF safety features?? It still isn't too close to the roof for my comfort though and the height is one of the reasons why my son loves it. I don't have a problem with the extra parts. I don't need to install or uninstall the rebound bar and headrest often so it is a non-issue for me. It feels great to drive around with DS RF center and to have confidence that he is always riding in seats that will most likely be used properly.

ETA: Using the updated LATCH limit of 65 pounds FF with top tether, you can use LATCH FF with a child up to 33 lbs.

Last edited:

Shoolamite

Unfortunately you can never use the LATCH RF and only to something like 28 lbs FF in a Subaru due to the heavy weight of the seat. The Subaru is my car so I really only have to worry about DH using the harness since he mostly sits in back with DS. That means we had to buy 2 Foonfs. Ouch.

Ok, So I'm totally clueless on this Persimmon - and feel awful that I may have been installing my sons car seat incorrectly for over 2 years. Why is it you can't use latch for a rear facing install in a subaru? We have a 2010 Forrester and a 2003 Outback, so it'd affect the way we install in both our cars, althought he Forrester is the main one. We've always used Latch.

We just got the Foonf - and our son too LOVES it. He was walking around the house crying wondering where his chair was after DH took it out to the car and installed it this afternoon. Then when I went down to get the mail, clingon baby wanted to come with then saw his 'chair' in the car and wanted in. Needless to say it was a temper tangrum when I got cold enough I just had to grab him out and take him back inside with me.

Persimmon

Wow! He really does love his Foonf. That alone is worth a good penny.

Ok, So I'm totally clueless on this Persimmon - and feel awful that I may have been installing my sons car seat incorrectly for over 2 years. Why is it you can't use latch for a rear facing install in a subaru?

I am not a tech so you should check with one about this but I meant you can't use LATCH with this seat RF in a Subaru. It is my understanding that Subaru goes by the weight of the child PLUS the weight of the seat for their LATCH limits. So their LATCH limits for RF are 48 pounds including child plus seat if using lower anchors only and for FF is 60 pounds including child plus seat using lower anchors plus top tether. The Foonf itself is 36 pounds rear facing (including the anti rebound bar) so that only leaves 12 pounds of child to reach the LATCH limit and the Foonf has a lower RF weight limit of 14 pounds. Therefore, you can never use LATCH RF in a Subaru with a Foonf. The Foonf is 32 pounds FF without the anti rebound bar so that only leaves 28 pounds of child to reach the FF LATCH limit.

For future reference, I've been lucky finding the weights of seats on Amazon. HTH.

ETA: Using the updated LATCH limit of 65 pound FF with top tether, you can use LATCH FF with a child up to 33 lbs.

Last edited:

Persimmon

Yes, you are correct, except that is weighs 38.6.

Thanks, Judi. So glad a tech posted something. I was being lazy and going by the weight off the Clek website. I was just thinking that you probably have more experience with the Foonf than anyone outside of Clek.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Not sure about that. But yeah, I weighed it with the ARB and wedge on. I was curious. Hmmm, I didn't have the belly pad on though. ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We had asked why the rigid LATCH wasn't designed for rear-facing. The 2014 labeling requirements will make LATCH on the Foonf all but useless forward-facing in all vehicles, as it is now in Subarus:-(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Subaru has a 48 pound RF LATCH limit?:confused:

You can take it that way.

Maximum weight limit for LATCH anchors:
The LATCH anchors may be used to restrain children up to 65 lbs (weight of child-plus-CR) if the CR is correctly installed with the tether as well as LAs.

Maximum weight limit for lower anchors:
The LATCH anchors may be used to restrain forward-facing children up to 48 lbs (weight of child-plus-CR) if the CR is correctly installed with just lower anchors.

Yes, it says FFing, but I take it as any install not using the TA.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We had asked why the rigid LATCH wasn't designed for rear-facing. The 2014 labeling requirements will make LATCH on the Foonf all but useless forward-facing in all vehicles, as it is now in Subarus:-(

Yeah, totally. I use mine for seat transport only. Maybe that is why they were talking about a Foonf light? That would take weight off.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just my own comment. With the recommendation being 2 years for rear-facing, I'd guess most kids at that point would be too heavy to use LATCH forward-facing in a 39 lb. seat when the 2014 combined limit of 65 lbs. is restricting it to about 26 lbs for the child's weight.

hope41more

Ok ok ok, wait. So is it JUST subarus we're talking about here? So a Pontiac with a 48 pound limit: is that just the kid or is it kid plus restraint? Fwiw, my car manual says nothing about latch limits, but I know Pontiac is 48 because I've asked a tech on here before. I have no idea what that 48 pounds includes. Please help ASAP, since ds is currently installed on the rf latch in my car and DH car (also a Pontiac, a 2007 Grand Prix).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC