2002 Honda Odyssey 3rd row seat to 2nd row and good car seat configuration with 3

jbailey313

Hello :) We just picked up a 2002 Honda Odyssey tonight after my Town and Country's motor blew. My question is can you move the 3rd row seat to the middle and put 3 car seats across the middle row? I would like to put all three car seats along the middle row if possible since my research so far seems to deem that the safety option. I know there are plus one seats for an 8 seat honda odyssey but from what I researched not for 2002 models d/t no seatbelt coming out of the ceiling and no latch systems on the seats it is not possible and legal for an 8th seat or a 3 seat 2nd row that way.

If it is not possible to put the 3rd row in the 2nd row what is the best way to configure the carseats with a 5 and 6 year old both about 46 inches and 41lbs forward facing radian 80 SL which we currently have (But I am thinking about buying them both britax frontiers the SICT for Christmas since I just turned them forward facing about 6 months ago).. And I have 1 year old 17lb in a rear facing infant safety first air seat. Thank you in advance for the help! The knowledge on this forum is invaluable for the safety of our children!!!

ADS

featherhead

No, it doesn't work to put the third row in the middle. Do you only have one top tether in the third row? Also, check to see if one captains chair can be moved to the center. I know it works in my sister's 2003 Odyssey.

jbailey313

I am not sure about only one top tether in the back seat. I think there is one on each side b/c my husband installed the two radians for my older children outbound in the 3rd row and we moved the passengers side in the middle for the baby's safety first air. I guess this would be the best configuration for the van, I really wanted all the children in the middle row but I guess this cannot happen. Too bad about the extra seat not having latches. Thank you for your help :)

Xandra

You can put the oldest in the 3rd row, and middle and youngest in the 2nd with the driver's seat moved to the center. This way the child with the strongest skeleton is in the 3rd row but you still have easy access.

If you're going to get Frontiers, I'd stick with the regular ones so you have more configuration possibilities. The SICT prevents side-by-side installs.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Third row is very safe http://carseatblog.com/91/the-third-row-is-it-safe-for-kids/ and it has the axles there to protect from side impacts, which are far more deadly than rear impacts. You can add top tether anchors to the third row outboard spots, there are plastic caps that pop off from the tailgate and they can be screwed right in with a torque wrench (though I do mine by hand, the point is to get it tight but not overdo it and strip the non-replaceable bolts). Honda should be able to sell you the parts if you need them. Did you find the top tethers on the bottoms of the captain's chairs yet?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC