Minivans and bad weather

amy919

Is this an issue? I haven't driven anything other than an SUV with 4WD and now a crossover with AWD for years and years.

Are all minivans FWD? What about snow, ice, etc.? Any issues?

I live right outide of Philadelphia. We don't typically get a ton of snowstorms, but we're usually good for 3 nice ones a year on average.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Never had a problem in Chicago. Our other vehicle is a Subaru AWD wagon. Personally, I'd rather save on fuel economy with FWD, since we don't do any off-roading or drive in rural areas during winter.

You can get some minivans like the Sienna in AWD.

southpawboston

i second that. i'd take FWD drive and dedicated snow tires over AWD or 4WD anyday. keep in mind that AWD/4WD only helps with accelerating, it doesn't help one iota for stopping. i see more 4WD SUVs spun out on the side of the road during snowstorms than any other type of vehicle.

we've had AWD subarus in my family for years, and while they're great for getting through steep unplowed driveways, i've never felt any advantage on regular roads.

beeman

I'll agree with Darren and Southpaw. 4wd is nice, but it gives you a false sense of security. When you have it, you typically will go through bigger snow drifts, and deeper mud holes. Plus if you are driving in 4wd and you get stuck, you are really stuck. Good tires will help you get through a lot too. I don't think it's available on a front wheel drive, but a locking differential on a rwd really makes a difference. The other thing to remember to with either a 4wd or 2wd, is that once you are in backed snow higher than your axles, you aren't going anywhere.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Electronic traction control provides a similar effect to a locking differential. It generally doesn't react as fast, allow for as much power transfer or work at higher speeds like a mechanical locking (or limited slip) system, but it does help.

Also, not all AWD/4WD systems are created equal. Some are a LOT better than others. The least advanced may not be much better than FWD+traction control.

Electronic traction control provides a similar effect to a locking differential. It generally doesn't react as fast, allow for as much power transfer or work at higher speeds like a mechanical locking (or limited slip) system, but it does help.

Also, not all AWD/4WD systems are created equal. Some are a LOT better than others. The least advanced may not be much better than FWD+traction control.

I completely agree.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member

I'd be interested to hear more on this subject since my husband insisted we have AWD on our minivan, so of course we have a Toyota Sienna, which I believe is the only one currently offering AWD as an option. I wanted an 8 passenger model so that I could cram a few more car seats in there....HAHAHA, but AWD was only available on the 7 passenger model. I argued that the newer traction control systems were sometimes just as good if not better than AWD. And considering what a gas hog the AWD is, I would much rather have preferred something more fuel efficient as well. But obviously he won the argument. I was just happy to have a van. There was no way we were getting 3 car seats into a Forrester. Unfortunately I don't see the Sienna listed as one of the safest cars for 3rd row seating either. I think I want a Honda now!!!

That being said I did notice when we had that freak snowstorm last March or maybe it was April here in the Chicago area, that 2 of the other minivan driving moms on my street were having trouble on the roads and were unable to pull into their driveways since their was about 12 inches of snow on the unplowed residential streets. I however was able to drive all over the neighborhood and get in and out of my driveway with no problem. Was this do to the AWD perhaps? The other ladies had Hondas.

By the way Darren, Kathy from the Wheaton PD speaks VERY highly of you. She was one of my instructors for the CPST course I took last month. She says I MUST meet you!!!

CarSeatPoncho

In answer to OP's question, no, AWD is definitely not standard. We had a similar dilemma as NatenMaddiesMom, but went with the 8-seater over the AWD 7-seater bc we have 3 kids, 2 of whom do not sit in car seats or boosters. We didn't want to have one person in the back row, "left out" of the family conversations, which we do a lot on long trips and very much enjoy.

We did get the full safety pkg, traction control, good tires, etc. We weighed the pros and cons of it, and since we take more longer (1+hour) road trips as a family than we have major snowstorms (same as Philly, maybe 3 a year), the 8 seater made more sense.

We just stay in during the storms. :whistle:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'd be interested to hear more on this subject since my husband insisted we have AWD on our minivan, so of course we have a Toyota Sienna, which I believe is the only one currently offering AWD as an option. I wanted an 8 passenger model so that I could cram a few more car seats in there....HAHAHA, but AWD was only available on the 7 passenger model. I argued that the newer traction control systems were sometimes just as good if not better than AWD. And considering what a gas hog the AWD is, I would much rather have preferred something more fuel efficient as well. But obviously he won the argument. I was just happy to have a van. There was no way we were getting 3 car seats into a Forrester. Unfortunately I don't see the Sienna listed as one of the safest cars for 3rd row seating either. I think I want a Honda now!!!

That being said I did notice when we had that freak snowstorm last March or maybe it was April here in the Chicago area, that 2 of the other minivan driving moms on my street were having trouble on the roads and were unable to pull into their driveways since their was about 12 inches of snow on the unplowed residential streets. I however was able to drive all over the neighborhood and get in and out of my driveway with no problem. Was this do to the AWD perhaps? The other ladies had Hondas.

By the way Darren, Kathy from the Wheaton PD speaks VERY highly of you. She was one of my instructors for the CPST course I took last month. She says I MUST meet you!!!

I've been a bit lax in attending meetings and events lately. Perhaps at the Babies R Us event in Naperville on the 30th if I can make it.

I'd say the majority of AWD models today are now basically a 4-wheel traction control system. This is very inexpensive and it is an improvement over a FWD traction control system. On the other hand, it typically isn't as responsive as a mechanical system. Unfortunately, those are more expensive to make and to repair so they are becoming less common. It's a guess that the Sienna AWD is a 4-wheel traction control setup, but I don't know for sure.

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
Well, I went from only driving Jeeps which can get through nearly anything IMHO, to our FWD Grand Caravan most of the time and I was pleasantly surprised. Granted I've never tried anything stupid in the van like blasting through snow drifts (BIG fun in a Jeep). The sheer size and weight over the front wheels keeps the Caravan pretty stable. I still don't like my van but not because it sucks in bad weather. Obviously no matter what, you need to know how to drive well in your particular vehicle, in your particular weather. There's always a learning curve when driving something different.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Well, I went from only driving Jeeps which can get through nearly anything IMHO, to our FWD Grand Caravan most of the time and I was pleasantly surprised. Granted I've never tried anything stupid in the van like blasting through snow drifts (BIG fun in a Jeep). The sheer size and weight over the front wheels keeps the Caravan pretty stable. I still don't like my van but not because it sucks in bad weather. Obviously no matter what, you need to know how to drive well in your particular vehicle, in your particular weather. There's always a learning curve when driving something different.

The higher end Jeep Quadra-Drive was one of the best AWD systems a few years ago. I don't know if they still have the same setup or if they have gone to a 4-wheel traction control system.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
keep in mind that AWD/4WD only helps with accelerating, it doesn't help one iota for stopping. i see more 4WD SUVs spun out on the side of the road during snowstorms than any other type of vehicle.

:yeahthat:

I learned how to drive in Alaska. It's absolutely amazing how many people think 4WD means they can drive the speed limit (or higher) regardless of how much snow or ice is on the road. :rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm in upstate NY -- we frequently get white outs/blizzards + our rural roads are often swept over with ice.... My Ford Freestar is front wheel drive & I had no more problems this past winter than when I had my 4WD SUVs or AWD Subaru just using basic Defensive Driving.

P.S. I should mention the 2 situations that I did find AWD/4WD necessary: in the 1/2 mile long dirt road farm driveway + the very steep hill driveway with a gorge at the bottom!

Last edited:

Sienna uses full time AWD. I've got two bro-in-laws that are Toyota mechanics. One even owns an AWD Sienna. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to ask that one about his van. I got what I could out of the other one, but there were some language issues. I know the two discuss shop talk in their native language, but I don't speak it. I'll try to find out more about the Sienna AWD.

I hope it's not glorified traction control/anti lock brake system like the Mercedes 4Matic.

jebedyah

Do you know if the Hondas had snow tires? My parents live in Calgary (Alberta, Canada), and think their Odyssey handles great in all kinds of snow, but they do switch to snow tires in the winter.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Do you know if the Hondas had snow tires?

I'm guessing no. I don't think I know a single person with a dedicated set of snow tires. I'm guess that if I told my husband getting a dedicated set of snow tires on FF van would be just fine, he'd probably still want AWD b/c he'd complain about having to change out the tires....heehee

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Well, I was able to get out of my unpaved, unplowed drive in my Ody last spring after a bad snow storm (12" of wet snow). No snow tires. I got stuck once, but I was able to unstick it by myself, so... If I'd thought ahead and parked the car facing out, I probably wouldn't even have gotten a little stuck. Once I got on to the street where other cars had broken up the snow a bit, I did fine.

southpawboston

Do you know if the Hondas had snow tires? My parents live in Calgary (Alberta, Canada), and think their Odyssey handles great in all kinds of snow, but they do switch to snow tires in the winter.

that's smart. all-seasons may get you where you want to go, but if you can afford having a dedicated set of snow tires, wouldn't you feel safer knowing that you may be able to come to a stop in a shorter distance in a panic situation with proper tires rather than the [usually crappy] tires that come standard on new cars? IMHO, if snow tires can increase your chances of avoiding an accident by 5% in snowy/slushy/icy conditions (which is very reasonably in my mind) they're worth the modest cost.

i keep an extra set of rims so i don't have to keep unmounting and remounting my tires twice a year. an extra set of rims pays for itself over a few years for just that reason. plus it makes it easy and quick to do the swap those two times a year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC