Can't decide...CARES or CareSeat on plane?

HaileysMommy

We are taking a trip to Disney (yay!) in February. DD will be 4y2m at the time of the trip. We will be traveling by bus from the airport to the hotel. We won't need a car unless we decide to go to SeaWorld and as of right now that's probably not going to happen. If it does I could always borrow an RSTV for her. So my options are borrowing a CARES and possible RSTV or dragging along a car seat. I don't want to buy a CARES or RSTV for a one time thing. Seating options are Avenue, EFTA, Radian RXT or Prosport. My reservation about taking a care seat is the fact that it's one more thing to have to haul through the airport/bus/hotel. There will be 3 adults going though so not really a shortage of hands. I also have the options to buy one of those wheely things for the car seat...anyway I am probably WAY over-thinking this lol WWYD?

ADS

creideamh

HaileysMommy said:
We are taking a trip to Disney (yay!) in February. DD will be 4y2m at the time of the trip. We will be traveling by bus from the airport to the hotel. We won't need a car unless we decide to go to SeaWorld and as of right now that's probably not going to happen. If it does I could always borrow an RSTV for her. So my options are borrowing a CARES and possible RSTV or dragging along a car seat. I don't want to buy a CARES or RSTV for a one time thing. Seating options are Avenue, EFTA, Radian RXT or Prosport. My reservation about taking a care seat is the fact that it's one more thing to have to haul through the airport/bus/hotel. There will be 3 adults going though so not really a shortage of hands. I also have the options to buy one of those wheely things for the car seat...anyway I am probably WAY over-thinking this lol WWYD?

CARES.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She's 34 pounds? I'd take a carseat. CARES won't tighten the lap belt and doesn't have anything to prevent submarining.

Wendy

HaileysMommy

wendytthomas said:
She's 34 pounds? I'd take a carseat. CARES won't tighten the lap belt and doesn't have anything to prevent submarining.

Wendy

Yes, 33-34 lbs. So the lap belt will be too big for her?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd say the chances are good. Piper didn't fit until 38-43 pounds, and 53 pounds on one flight. Most kids are around 40 pounds before they fit.

Wendy

cupcakepirate11

Car seat! Put it upside down on top of a rolly bag and its really no hassle :) I'm flying end of November and just attach my sons seat to a rolling luggage cart. Last time I wore him in the ergo carried his britax marathon in one hand and our bag in the other. I would not recommend that!! Lol

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Car seat! Put it upside down on top of a rolly bag and its really no hassle :) I'm flying end of November and just attach my sons seat to a rolling luggage cart. Last time I wore him in the ergo carried his britax marathon in one hand and our bag in the other. I would not recommend that!! Lol

Oh yes, whatever you do find wheels. I use a Traveling Toddler, a rolling luggage cart is fine as well. Something.

Wendy

scariestone

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352007247&sr=8-1&keywords=magna+cart"]Magna Cart Personal Hand Truck - Amazon.com[/ame] We got ours at costco for about $20. I bungee corded DS's radian onto it, strapped him in and away we went. Worked awesome.

mrosehughes

We have put DS's radian inside his stroller (maclaren umbrella) for inside the airport and it doesn't even require a bungee to stay there (although the bungee makes it more sturdy). Easy peasy.

squishles10

My inlaws don't understand car seats on planes and insist on checking their seat. Besides the issues with that, can you point me to some info on when car seats on planes are no longer needed? She's WAY too little now (26 months, 30ish pounds, 36" roughly). It's a tough crowd- I'm pretty sure they flipped her FF on her 2nd birthday, so cold hard facts are what I need.

Sorry to hijack!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
FAA recommendations: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

About 40 pounds is when we found the lap belt started to fit. It was 38 pounds on some planes, 43 pounds on others, but about 40.

Just make sure you don't check the carseat at 40 pounds. If the carseat needs to be safely transported, take it on board. Or check it in the original box. That's just generally more of a hassle, and less comfortable for the child (it took Piper three years to figure out how to sleep on a plane without a carseat, and she still requires a parent or empty seat to lean against/sleep on).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC