Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Size4me crotch strap

This seat's crotch strap is so short! We just bought one if these for DS2... He keeps point to his groin... He cries and screams owie... All I can figure is that the strap is too short? Anyone else bothered by it? Any tips or ideas? Is Graco planning a longer strap?
    Thanks!
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Size4me crotch strap

I agree it's waaay to short. But I'm not sure what to do about it...

My two peeves about this seat rf are the short crotch strap and the fact that you have to use the slot closest to the child for rf. Poor design in my opinion. Hope they make some changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    Lauren, mommy to:
    Philip 9/4/2008, Affix w/ SS
    Andrew 8/17/2010, harnessed Nauti
    Lydia 1/14/2013, ERF MR65
    Sophia 3/18/15, SR30

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Supposedly Graco will send a longer strap, but supposedly that longer strap is the same length as the current one. That's what I've heard--I don't have first-hand experience. I keep meaning to call.

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Supposedly Graco will send a longer strap, but supposedly that longer strap is the same length as the current one. That's what I've heard--I don't have first-hand experience. I keep meaning to call.
    How can it be longer if it's the same length:/? Strange. Maybe I'll request it and see. Thanks!
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

I might request one too, but I'm also using the further out crotch strap...I heard you weren't supposed to but the seat would be unusable if I didn't!

Sounds like time for a mass of pics of Graco's fb page showing how short the strap is. Worked for Dorel.

9. Thank You from:

Yeah, I might try and take one next time he's in the seat, because it's barely acceptable for not squishing his junk when it's on the further slot. And DS is skinny and small for his age!

Quote Originally Posted by Phineasmama
    I might request one too, but I'm also using the further out crotch strap...I heard you weren't supposed to but the seat would be unusable if I didn't!
    Are there theories on why they say not to use the outer slot?

Lauren, mommy to:
    Philip 9/4/2008, Affix w/ SS
    Andrew 8/17/2010, harnessed Nauti
    Lydia 1/14/2013, ERF MR65
    Sophia 3/18/15, SR30

Quote Originally Posted by Little Ps Mama View Post

I'm honestly not sure Maybe they only tested it RF with the inner slot? They are not very far apart either, it doesn't seem like something that would make a difference. I hope someone else knows.

CPS Fanatic
    I thought the seat belt interferes with the strap if it was on the outer position?

14. Thank You from:

I'll have to check that out tomorrow. Although I do have mine installed with latch so idk if that will make a difference or not.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tl01

How can it be longer if it's the same length:/? Strange. Maybe I'll request it and see. Thanks!
    Magic!

No, supposedly they SAY it's longer, but isn't. Again, that's just what I've heard. Might or might not be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Ps Mama

I heard someone (Graco? Clek?) mention this issue at Kidz In Motion. IIRC, it's safer to have it close to/ under the child, like Diono recommends.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

On older kids, the second slot is going to still be under the child. The first slot is WAY under the child, it's one of the key reasons I opted to get rid of that seat and stick with my MR. The crotch depth, strap, buckle etc is just ridiculous. I felt like I was trying to dig in poor Z's junk every time I got him in or out.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Oh yeah, it's definitely under him, or darn close!

am I the only person on the planet that prefers the shorter crotch strap? I HATE the long one on our nautilus. I much preferred the short one on my marathon. I like then the hip straps that are closer to the thigh etc. instead of the buckle being at the belly button. I also only have a girl and realize my preference might change with a boy.
    Jocelynn Makena 02/20/07 riding in a britax parkway knight sg and pink cub sgl
    Corbin James 07/27/2013 riding in a britax cowmooflage marathon and laguna boulevard

It's NOwhere near his belly button!! If I had it on the lower slot it would be coming from like his butt over the top of his junk area. With the outer slot it's coming uncomfortably close to touching his junk area.

Maybe you just have differently shaped kids

Quote Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post
    It's NOwhere near his belly button!! If I had it on the lower slot it would be coming from like his butt over the top of his junk area. With the outer slot it's coming uncomfortably close to touching his junk area.

Maybe you just have differently shaped kids
    not meaning that the crotch strap on the size4me goes to her belly button. . . we haven't tried that seat yet, i prefer that any seat's crotch strap doesn't go that high up KWIM? Her nautilus to me has a crazy long crotch strap that i HATE, i am jealous of your short strap dilemma
    Jocelynn Makena 02/20/07 riding in a britax parkway knight sg and pink cub sgl
    Corbin James 07/27/2013 riding in a britax cowmooflage marathon and laguna boulevard

See I've only ever heard of the Nauti having a short crotch strap!