Graco Car Set in center seat lap belt of 1998 Honda Accord

U

Unregistered

I want to know if it is safe to use a Graco ComfortSport Seat in the center seat of a 1998 Honda Accord using a lap belt.

It seems that Graco instructions have warnings not to use their car seats if the seat belt comes out of the seat forward of the seat crease. In my wife's 1998 Honda Accord 2Dr Coupe, the center seat's lap belt comes out slightly forward of the seat crease.

I currently use the Graco Snugride rearfacing in the Driver's side. The SnugRide had this warning about using lap belts that come out forward of the seat crease, so I chose to put it on the driver's side, rather than in the center.

Now that my baby is 11 months old and about to outgrow the SnugRide, I got the Graco ComfortSport Seat, but I am worried about the same warning. The instruction manuals to the ComfortSport says that the seat belt coming out forward of the seat belt MAY be OK. How do I know if this will be safe for my 1998 Honda Accord with the Graco car seat?

Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you can get a secure installation then I wouldn't worry too much. There are some seatbelts that are so far forward from the bight they can't give a good installation at all. But in the Accords I've seen and been in they haven't had a problem. They've been slight, but not a huge deal.

If you're concerned, install the seat for us and take some pictures. And remember, you're looking for less than an inch of movement AT THE BELT PATH. Since the seat is not tethered, like the infant seat, it will move at the head. That's fine.

Wendy

mom2riley

I used to have a 1997 Accord. DS was then riding in a Comfortsport RF then went FF and I was able to get a good install both ways in the center. It takes a little more effort because of the seat shape, but I eventually was able to get it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC