Looking for crash test videos on side facing seats

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I can't imagine they could be re installed. And we need the wider center aisle for work. There are 7 kids. 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 17 and working on one;) From what I read, it is the ease of movement to the side when yo get hit that causes problems. Seemed most deaths were from hitting into other things. So if they had a vest or seat that was tightly installed?

I said that I would put the youngest 5 across the back, in appropriate seats. They oldest 2 on the side, since they have stronger hips.

First, though, was to call the company, and see if they could reinstall the seats.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As Pixels said, the human body isn't made to move sideways. Side-impacts are deadly because of the lateral movement of the body, not because of slamming into things. (I mean, in a car you typically have intrusion, too, but there is also the physiological standpoint.)

So even in a tightly installed car seat, you're going to have lateral movement. That movement snaps the neck, bruises the brain, and tears aortas.

That said, if people MUST transport kids in side-facing seats, I suppose a car seat is better than nothing. I would have a good waiver ready to sign and would document the heck out of it though.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have told her all that. The thing is, when I figure this puzzle out, there are a few more, with the same seating, waiting for me. They actually want me to do a class.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Thing is, this is one of those "no safe solution" things, you know?

I'd be vary wary of doing a class, rather than providing one-on-one counselling as to individual circumstances. You need to present each family with an individual assessment of their individual vehicle configuration, options for their individual children, and then let the parents make their own individual tough choices.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Basically, I wouldn't want anyone to take away "well I took a class so I know I'm doing the safe thing here!" I'd want to individually be able to speak to each person and stress, "This is not safe. This is one unsafe option. This is another unsafe option. These are potential risks and benefits to different unsafe options. You get to choose, or here are some alternative vehicles you may want to look at." I'd want to get eye contact and individual acknowledgement from each parent that they understand, this is not a safe situation and only a "doing the best we can with unsafe choices" situation.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree with KQ. Holding a class legitimizes it. It says, "All you guys are doing something wrong, but I'll tell you how to do it."

If you're going to help, it needs to be one-on-one.

newyorkDOC

Judi said:
That would be awesome! Well, I sent the video to the mom, and she doesn't understand why the belt would loosen. This is the vehicle they will use, no way to get something else, and a safe way must be found.

I am wondering if the seats can be moved back to normal ffing.

They don't go into the physics of the crash at all. The narrator basically says these vans/buses should be recalled. Before 2008 lap belts weren't even required. After 2010 they became mandatory. But they clearly fail safety-wise nonetheless. So the Swiss auto testing society suggests recall.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Not to mention many CR instructions have a big red circle with a slash on side facing vehicle seats. . . which other than that skull and cross bones is a very strong "no way, no how."

No matter what solution they choose, by using side facing seats, they are going directly against manufacturers' instructions and warnings. I think I'd spend a lot of time focusing on that.

Frustrating.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
May the home schooling people in my area are different, but they all want to know why. Hence the thread.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC