Question Best Radians for a 2006 Toyota Corolla

BetsyT

I am purchasing 2 Diono Radian seats this week. They will be placed with a Chico Keyfit in my 2006 Toyota Corolla.

Does anyone have advice on whether the R100, R120 or RXT would work best?

My main concern is fitting them all 3 across. Arrangement would be FF (Radian), RF (keyfit), FF (Radian).

1. Are they all the same width/height?
2. Are any more comfortable?
3. Are any more difficult or easy to install with a seat belt? I have read some online reviews mentioning that the lower position of the belt path can cause them to be more difficult to tighten properly.

My hope is to purchase them once without having to return & try a different model. Thank you so much for the help!

ADS

jacqui276

They are all the same width and I believe install the same as far as the belt path goes. The main differences are colours and the R100 has different weight limits and no infant padding/head wings, the R120 has infant padding but no head wings, the RXT has the padding and head wings. The head wings don't stick out beyond the width of the seat so shouldn't affect the width.
The ones with infant padding may offer additional comfort for a baby being more snug but the part under their bum is pretty flat so doesn't add cushioning or height.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The headwings do stick out a bit, really, but they should still fit in that configuration just fine. If they'll be forward-facing and outboard, I'd personally lead toward the headwings, because, well, headwings.

They're not the easiest install ever in a Corolla, but they can be safely installed with seatbelt. I had SuperLATCH issues in the Corolla, so I didn't feel comfortable using SuperLATCH in the Corolla, personally (because of where the adjuster fell, I felt it was likely to loosen.)

BetsyT

Thank you! So the R120 shouldn't be any taller than the R100? Just curious since I'll be installing in a Corolla =) (mainly concerned about RF installation - since I'll eventually be moving the infant into one of the Radian seats once he moves out of the keyfit).

So, if I'm hearing y'all right, the R120 or RXT may be more comfortable than the R100 because it has more padding?

I've read mixed reviews on the head wings. Some think that they are uncomfortable because they hit the taller shoulders of older kids. Has anyone personally experienced this?

Thanks again. I'm hoping to order tonight :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They do decrease the useable lifespan by height, but they provide containment in side impacts that I prefer outboard. So, it's a bit of a trade-off, but not THAT much of one- most kids are uncomfortable once shoulders are more than half an inch or so over those slots, anyway.

As for height, yeah, they're all the same size. The 120 comes in nicer fabrics but there is no lack of padding on the 100... The infant insert can't be used forward facing anyway.

The 120 and xt do have a five lb. higher weight limit rear-facing.

BetsyT

I ordered an R100 & an R120 (I wanted the infant padding for when we move the baby over).

Also, {I am thinking ahead now} when I move the baby into one of the Radians, I'll need to move by then 5 1/2-yr-old into a booster. What narrow boosters would you recommend to fit with a FF Radian & RF Radian in the 06 Corolla?

aept

BetsyT said:
I ordered an R100 & an R120 (I wanted the infant padding for when we move the baby over).

Also, {I am thinking ahead now} when I move the baby into one of the Radians, I'll need to move by then 5 1/2-yr-old into a booster. What narrow boosters would you recommend to fit with a FF Radian & RF Radian in the 06 Corolla?

Britax parkway SGL fits ok outboard passenger side next to a RF radian center and FF radian behind the driver in our Prius. Prior to that we owned an '03 corolla and the back seats are very similar in size. It needed to be scooted out towards the door a bit to buckle in and then scooted back into position fully on the vehicle seat, but that's pretty much to be expected with any booster in a 3-across in a smallish car.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, we found a Parkway SG or a Turbo Booster fit in that configuration, but we just left the booster buckled and had the kid slide under the belt.

If your 5 1/2 year old isn't ready for a full-time booster at that point, or bucking a booster is too difficult, there are a few harnessed options that will fit.

BetsyT

Thank you all so much! The radians should arrive on Friday, so we will try to install them over the weekend. If we run into trouble and have installation questions, where is the best place to post a question?

Do you know if there is already a thread out there with advice on installing the radian's into a smaller car?

BetsyT

It may be a little late to ask this question, but I just read about the Coccoro seat. Do you think a FF Radian, a RF Coccoro & a FF Britax Boulevard fit in the "06 Corolla? Just curious. Thinking through another option in case we have trouble with the 2 Radians =)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you put the Boulevard next to the Radian they should. Not necessarily otherwise (though maybe.)

I can find you detailed instructions on installing Radians with seatbelts in Corollas, I know I've written it up before. ;)

BetsyT

Here is a post where I describe the "tricks" and procedure for installing a forward-facing Radian in a modern body style Corolla. :)

Thank you! These details are amazing & greatly appreciated!

Does the "recline foot" you mentioned come with the seat or is that an additional piece that I need to purchase?

With the Keyfit, would you put the Radians (both FF) next to each other or on the outsides with the Keyfit in the middle?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The recline foot is part of the seat. You'll see it when you get it (and read the instructions of course. ;) ) It involves pushing a bar in and popping the little foot out for some recline to use it.

I think that either way would work, installation-space wise. However for both convenience and safety I would probably put the Keyfit outboard with the two Radians side by side. Convenience because it's much easier to plop it in right next to a door than to reach over to the middle, and safety because we generally recommend that, when practical, the least protected child go in the most protected seating position. The most protected seating position is the center seat; the least protected child, when you have two forward-facers and a rear-facer, is the youngest forward-facing child. And practically, I'm betting that independently tight installs will take less tries to achieve that way than with both Radians outboard. :)

BetsyT

Our Radian's came, and we worked on installing them this afternoon. A few questions:

After installing them all, I realized that someone mentioned that I need to have the recline foot on the Radian to install it well (FF) when outboard. I realized that we didn't do this. It seems to be a tight, secure fit as is. Before I take everything out & start over, what is the difference if I use it FF. Does it help "puzzle" the seats together better?

Our current arrangement is: Chico Keyfit, Radian, Radian (passenger side to driver side).
Our issue is the Keyfit. Since it sits some on the higher/raised outer edge of the seat, it leans some into the middle. If I fold a thin towel one or twice, this seems to help "level" the seat. Is this okay? To have a thin towel folded under one edge/side of the seat?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Did you take the middle one out, and then check the outer ones for tightness at the belt path? Then put the middle back, then take the outer ones, and then check for tightness of the middle one? If you can get it independently tight without the recline outboard, more power to you! I never could.

The Keyfit does not allow a towel or noodle for adjustment of the base but in any case that is only ever used at the bight of the seat- where the back meets the bottom of the seating surface. Not on the side. So that's a no. What you need to do instead is compress the seat down more on the side with the high spot. When tightening, press down much more on the SIDE by the back of the seat rather than in the center, does that make sense? You may still have some tilt; as long as it is not more than a 30 degree tilt and does not worsen over time, that's fine. I've found that with a bit of work the vehicle seats compress on that high spot, and will compress more over time, and you'll be able to more easily get it to not tilt as much with less effort.

BetsyT

We played around with the seats again. When we pulled out the instruction manual to see how to attach the recline foot, I noticed that it says the recline foot is only to be used when the seat is RF, so I wanted to double check with you on that.

We are having some trouble getting a tight fit on the Keyfit with the belt installation, so we tried out the latch. It seems to be tighter/more secure with the latch, although from what I can tell, I think it does move the seat more towards the middle. Your thoughts?

Edited to add:
*** Ketchupqueen clarifies the different terms (i.e. boot vs. foot) and what can and cannot go RF & FF on following page (page 2) ***

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC