Harnessed booster for 7y/o w/ SN?

kclarew

Hi all,
Newbie here. About to have my second child and have been enjoying using the forums to research which infant car seat to buy, will likely be the Chaperone, Be-safe or maybe the KeyFit.

I'm trying to find an affordable option for a pair of booster seats for my 7 y/o DS, 41lbs, 44" tall. (We have Frontier 85 and are fairly pleased with it - I lusted over RadianRXT but just haven't been able to justify buying a new seat when the one I have is perfectly fine. ) DS has a chromosomal disorder that has caused neurological impairments, cognitive deficits and some mild physical disabilities. Specifically, high functioning autism, hypotonia, nervous system problems, epilepsy and sensory issues make him a terrible candidate for belt- positioned booster seats. We've had to use a seat belt based boosters two or three times but he slumped, slouched and fidgeted the whole time. I think he is a couple of years away from being able to safely ride in a booster using a seat belt.

I will likely need a c-section so when the baby comes, my mom and MIL will be coming to town to help out. They both will need a seat to carry DS to his therapies and to/from school. I'd really like to stay under $150 per seat and one that he can use till at least 57" that we have on the Britax.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Kirsten

Last edited:
ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
What is he torso height? You say he needs a booster, but also say a booster won't work, so I am assuming you are looking for a Combination seat. Depending on torso height, I would look at the Graco Nautilus and Evenflo Securekid.

kclarew

Sorry if I was unclear. I want a combination booster that can offers extended harnessing, like Frontier, which I believe is 57" in height. He is not capable of safely riding in a belt positioned booster.
I don't know his torso height but will measure it tomorrow.

kclarew

When he has visited them (like over a weekend) DH or I have moved the Frontier to their cars so it is possible but it just seems like a hassle to move the seat 2 or more times daily. Plus I don't think I will be able to move it for a while after the birth and i just don't trust their abilities to install the seat on their own. It is everyone's preference for each of them to have their own seat - I'm just hoping to find slightly more affordable version of a Frontier or Radian.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just so you're aware, the overall height guideline doesn't mean much compared to seated torso height. He may have more or less time than that based on when his shoulders go over the top slots-that's when it will be outgrown.

If you sit him cross-legged against a wall, mark the top of his shoulders, then measure to the ground that gives a good torso height estimate. Or, if you tell us what harness setting he's using and how much room he has before his shoulders reach the slots at that setting, we can make a reasonable guess. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC