Question should I give up my Suburban for minivan or other?

N

Nkuffy

I currently drive a 2004 Chevy Suburban,which I love exept for the gas mileage. I have 2 children, ages 11 and 2. (will not be adding to our family any more, lol) I have always been concerned as to whether I am driving an unsafe vehicle. I read all of the safety ratings, new safety features being offered in newer vehicles, etc...but I just feel that no safety feature can defy the laws of physics. In the event of an accident, the bigger vehicle would protect my children better would it not? That coupled with the fact that my youngest is seated in a Britax Boulevard 70 CS, in the center of the second row. I realize the rollover rate and accident avoidance is not in my favor in such a large SUV. Therefore, I am wondering if someone can point out reasons why I should sell my suburban and what are the safest family vehicles out there?? I prefer not to buy a CAR, I like the room to tote other kids and cargo. Safety is my ultimate concern though. Thank you for your input in advance :)

ADS

Melanie

If you were to replace the Suburban, would it be with a newer vehicle, or are you looking stay in the same price range? If so, what is that price range?

I ask because there have been a lot of advancements in safety in the last 10 years.

In general, minivans do tend to do better than suvs because of the lower center of gravity. Of course everything is dependent on what kind of accident you have and since we haven't found that crystal ball.... In a perfect world, I'd want side airbags to protect the non-car seat passengers.

According to informed for life (informedforlife.org), it's in the bottom 10% for safety for 2003-2011 vehicles. It's figuring it doesn't have side airbags or stability control to help prevent a roll over. Your numbers would be better if yours has either of those. It gets great frontal impact scores and not so great roll over scores. Informed for life isn't fool proof. I know if they don't have a reading for something they just put an average score. But it gives a pretty good over all idea. It takes ratings from several vehicles and factors in roll over risk and vehicle weight. I'm not meaning to scare you or say you should go right out an replace it. I'm sure it's much safer than vehicles older than it. We all do the best we can with what we have to work with.
http://www.informedforlife.org/getscore.php

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
According to informed for life (informedforlife.org), it's in the bottom 10% for safety for 2003-2011 vehicles. It's figuring it doesn't have side airbags or stability control to help prevent a roll over. Your numbers would be better if yours has either of those.

:thumbsup:

Even a newer Suburban with side curtain airbags and stability control would mitigate much of the risk associated with truck-based SUVs of the 90s and up until a few years ago when they finally became more prevalent in trucks.

Therefore, I am wondering if someone can point out reasons why I should sell my suburban and what are the safest family vehicles out there?? I prefer not to buy a CAR, I like the room to tote other kids and cargo. Safety is my ultimate concern though.

It's hard to match the current Honda Odyssey or the large GM crossovers (Acadia/Traverse/Enclave) in terms of crashworthiness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC