Wheelchair in van - safe?? Kiddo getting too big to lift easily...

diaperjoys

My friend's kiddo is getting really big - He's over 50 lbs (just turned 5yo), and can't help at all with transfers. How safe (or not) is it for a child to ride IN his wheelchair in a vehicle - you know, those vans where you wheel the chair in, and then strap the chair down to bolts on the floor?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, as long as transfer to a car seat is practical, that's the best and safest option. At some point it does become impractical. So at that point, all you can do is make sure that the wheelchair being used is the safest one possible and being used and secured as safely as possible in the van.

Any harness or belt being used needs to be crash-rated and tested. It also needs to fit properly. The wheelchair needs to be properly secured (there are different levels of what is better; I'm going to let someone more familiar with wheelchair transport give you that hierarchy, but I know some commonly used systems are not really very crashworthy while others tested well. I can look it up if needed.) Any additional equipment (trays, etc.) that are removed for transport need to be properly secured (strapped down or compartmentalized, etc.) as well, as much as possible.

So the answer is, it depends on the securement system, the belt fit, the chair, a large range of factors how safe it is, and transfer is always safer, but at some point you have to do it, so at that point you need to make sure to do it in the safest way possible. If that makes sense?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Being transported in a w/c is less safe than riding in a vehicle seat or CR but at some point, the ability for caregivers to transfer also becomes a safety and a quality of life issue (If getting child in/out is difficult, then the child is less likely to go out and about).

This will not be a quick process. They will need to select and purchase:
A w/c that is transport approved or certified (has tie downs)
A ramp or lift equipped vehicle
Tie downs for the w/c
Seat belt for the w/c
In addition to a SN tech, I would have them contact their durable medical equipment provider as well as their child's PT to discuss what options (because there are so many) may work for their family's transportation needs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC