trading in mazda 5, what should I get for three seats?

sahmlaura

We have a 7yo, 50lb harnessed in nautilus and a 4yo, ~30lb harnessed in a nautilus. Have a baby on the way (still looking at infant seats).

We currently have a mazda5, but I don't want to put my 7yo in the third row, partially because I don't like how close to the backend she will be and also, because I want more cargo space than just half the back down.

So, we're looking to trade it in. The only new van that is even in the running is a dodge because of price. We had a used Odyssey before the Mazda 5 and while I loved the van, we had transmission problems, so I'm skeptical of buying another used car (and definitely wouldn't buy another used odyssey).

Looking for decent gas mileage. I am willing to do a bigger car with three across, an SUV with a gap to a third row, or a van. Budget is under $25k for sure. The oldest will be transitioning to hbb mode within the next year I'd say.

What do you recommend?

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Trade you my Odyssey for your Mazda5? Oh wait, that belongs in Swap.

One thing you need to understand is that the transmission issues aren't exclusive to Honda. There were some years (1999-2003 or so?) with some really bad transmission issues, yes, but those flawed transmissions are no longer in new cars. All new cars have transmission issues, in my experience. Cars aren't meant to last--if they did, how would the manufacturers sell more cars?

If you're dead-set against the Odyssey because you've been burned in the past, I would highly recommend that you look into the Sienna. I personally avoid Dodge/Ford because they decrease in value too quickly (although they're cheap to buy used) ...a lot of people here swear by their Kia Sedonas, and I'm not a huge Kia fan but I'm seeing some great engineering and styling from them lately.

Or..what about an SUV?

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC