Question Acura RDX or Nissan Murano for wider second row?

nav913

Hi everyone,

We're expecting a new addition to our family, and are looking to upgrade cars to accommodate 3 adults and 2 kids. We can't go with some of the larger SUV's or Minivans due to size limitations in the garage, and are looking at midsize 5-seater SUV's that provide the maximum hip space in the second row to fit two car seats and a medium sized adult.

So far we have narrowed our search down to the RDX or the Murano and I would appreciate your input on which one is more spacious for second row seating. We're not closed off to other models at this point, but the above are the two best options I have seen thus far.

Appreciate any and all guidance on this....

Thanks,
Nav

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The RDX is closer to a compact SUV and will be smaller than most midsize models. It's perhaps even a bit smaller than the Murano, Kia Sorento and Ford Edge. Something like the Toyota Highlander would be the next step as one of the smaller midsize models. I'm not sure any of these will be real comfortable for three in the second row on longer trips. Depending on your carseats, fitting two adjacent carseats will require careful selection, too.

Is something like a Honda Pilot too big? That will definitely have a wider second row.

babygund

We have a murano and honestly for its size the interior is small and not really carseat friendly as the front to back room isn't great. To rear face you lose a lot of space up front so my husband cannot sit in front of that side. The Santa fe is bigger for car seats than the murano.
Hope that helps!

henrietta

We have a murano and honestly for its size the interior is small and not really carseat friendly as the front to back room isn't great. To rear face you lose a lot of space up front so my husband cannot sit in front of that side. The Santa fe is bigger for car seats than the murano.
Hope that helps!

Wow. I'm surprised you think it's so small. I just drove my mom's (new to her) '07 Murano from TN to PA to VA and back to TN w/my two boys, ages 6.5 and 3.5. Our 6.5 yr old rides in a high back booster and our 3.5 yr old rode in an Evenflo Triumph Advanced for this trip (pretty wide seat). Car seat installs were easy in all three positions. I did ride in the back on a few trips in the car with my boys--however, I put a backless booster in the center for my oldest and I rode outboard. I had to use a few tricks b/c of the width of the EFTA, but w/a narrower convertible, it would have been simple.

I think if a Radian installs well in this car, a forward (or rearfacing, to go b/t the middle of the front seats if you need the room) Radian would make most combos work. I'd bet you could be a rearfacing Marathon and a forward facing Radian in the center to work. There are other combo's too that might work.

Also, I'm 5 ft. 8 and even with the front seat all the way back in front of me, I still have 8-10 inches b/t my knees and the front seat.

I actually think the Murano has a lot of passenger room.

hths

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC