Question RF limits?

FrauDrA

I still haven't gotten to check my eldest in the Radian Premier (though he should fit based on the published limits), but am still stewing about keeping my toddler RFing in the grandparents' car.

How is the True Fit for RF? I know in the manual it gives the 1" guideline for the shell, but in practice what's the height/torso length for this? It isn't an easy seat to find around here (unless Zellers still has them?)so trying one out is tricky. Also, does it have a continuous loop harness? How is the install?

What about the Convertible Onside Air Protect? And the Eddie Bauer Convertible Sport, Eddie Bauer XRS 65, or Eddie Bauer Enspira 65 3-in-1?

I looked at the Scenera, and didn't like seat padding - it just didn't seem comfy to me.

Thanks!
Melanie

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The True Fit is really, really tall. It will get all kids to the full 35 pound weight limit RF (my 40 inch 3 yo had about 6 inches over her head when we had ours, too bad the RF weight limit isn't 40 or 45lbs, she was already 35 at the time :/)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yes, my dd made it to 35lbs in the True Fit and she was 4yrs old by then and still had growing room by height. It should really last pretty much all kids to 35lbs.

Pixelated

I still haven't gotten to check my eldest in the Radian Premier (though he should fit based on the published limits), but am still stewing about keeping my toddler RFing in the grandparents' car.

How is the True Fit for RF? I know in the manual it gives the 1" guideline for the shell, but in practice what's the height/torso length for this? It isn't an easy seat to find around here (unless Zellers still has them?)so trying one out is tricky. Also, does it have a continuous loop harness? How is the install?

What about the Convertible Onside Air Protect? And the Eddie Bauer Convertible Sport, Eddie Bauer XRS 65, or Eddie Bauer Enspira 65 3-in-1?

I looked at the Scenera, and didn't like seat padding - it just didn't seem comfy to me.

The True Fit does have a continuous loop harness. Zellers does have them, and it will be the Premier model only with the anti-rebound bar. The install is usually pretty good, but you must use the lock-offs whether installing with a seat belt or UAS. Read the manual carefully. It is a very tall seat, but it is also very wide.

Onside Air is a fancied up Scenera, so it's short. I'm pretty sure that the Eddie Bauer convertible sport is also a fancied up Scenera, the XRS65 is a fancied up Guide 65, and the Enspira I *think* is a booster version of the Guide 65. Avoid them all if you're after tall, and good value for money.

Boot

I was just researching this for a friend and she ended up getting a Complete Air from Canadian Tire. They had it listed as an 'Air Protect'. The other seat I recommended to her was the Graco Myride from Sears. At the time they were both on sale but sadly they're not any more. They're both 199.99. They might go on sale again though so if you can wait, I would keep an eye on them.

Our Zellers didn't have the True Fit.

FrauDrA

Boot said:
I was just researching this for a friend and she ended up getting a Complete Air from Canadian Tire. They had it listed as an 'Air Protect'. The other seat I recommended to her was the Graco Myride from Sears. At the time they were both on sale but sadly they're not any more. They're both 199.99. They might go on sale again though so if you can wait, I would keep an eye on them.

Our Zellers didn't have the True Fit.

Unfortunately, my son is almost at the RF height limit of the Complete Air :-(

snowbird25ca

Onside Air is a fancied up Scenera, so it's short. I'm pretty sure that the Eddie Bauer convertible sport is also a fancied up Scenera, the XRS65 is a fancied up Guide 65, and the Enspira I *think* is a booster version of the Guide 65. Avoid them all if you're after tall, and good value for money.

Guide 65 and the Complete air version of the Guide 65 both have 17" top harness height but they've still got the 36" numerical rf'ing height limit that the complete Air has.

You're right that the EB convertible sport is a fancied up Scenera.

I don't know about the Enspira being related to the Guide 65 because it's been around for at least 6 years now and it only had 15" top harness slots or something like that. Actually, thinking about it more, they are definitely not the same seat - the Enspira took up a lot of room rf'ing and the Guide 65 doesn't. Unless they've just recently completely changed the Enspira shell and kept the name? (Wouldn't put that past Dorel given the multitude of variations that the AO has, but I don't think they have.)

FrauDrA

Thanks for all the info!

The AO and Complete Air are out, I guess, because my son is right around 90cm, which IIRC is the RF limit for those.

He's about 30lbs, at 2.5 years. Would the EB Sport be a reasonable choice? Or the TF?

This would be for his grandparents' car. As a reminder, I'd planned to put him RF in a Radian Premier and get a Frontier XT for his big brother, but he's too tall for it. In our car, he's in a Boulevard 65, RF (big brother is in a Frontier XT), and I would like to keep him RF in my parents' car too. My husband doesn't have an appetite for another pricey seat :-(

mommycat

Wait, how can he still fit in the Britax but be too tall for a Radian? Am I missing something?

I think for a spare seat I would be ok with the TF, he would hopefully have another year or so to gain the 5 lbs to max it out RF. By then he would be 3 and I would feel ok FF then. But if he has room to grow in the Britax then I would probably prefer the MyRide; I an not *personally* a huge fan of using the TF harness or its fit, or of the install.

FrauDrA

mommycat said:
Wait, how can he still fit in the Britax but be too tall for a Radian? Am I missing something?

I think for a spare seat I would be ok with the TF, he would hopefully have another year or so to gain the 5 lbs to max it out RF. By then he would be 3 and I would feel ok FF then. But if he has room to grow in the Britax then I would probably prefer the MyRide; I an not *personally* a huge fan of using the TF harness or its fit, or of the install.

The Radian is older (not expired, though), and with a 65lb limit. But, the RF height limit is just 80cm, so he's too tall. The Blvd is a next-gen Britax, with the increased limits for ERF.

The MyRide, IIRC, has lower RF limits than the new Britaxes? What else woukd you recommend?

FrauDrA

snowbird25ca said:
I believe she is going straight by numerical height limit and not fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Because there aren't any stores nearby that definitely have the TF in stock, I was wondering about the numerical limit to know whether it would be worth finding a store with one to check the fit :)

Pixelated

I don't know about the Enspira being related to the Guide 65 because it's been around for at least 6 years now and it only had 15" top harness slots or something like that. Actually, thinking about it more, they are definitely not the same seat - the Enspira took up a lot of room rf'ing and the Guide 65 doesn't. Unless they've just recently completely changed the Enspira shell and kept the name? (Wouldn't put that past Dorel given the multitude of variations that the AO has, but I don't think they have.)

I think the Enspira has changed but now that I look at pics of the the Guide next to the Enspira the bolsters are different. I worked with one the other day but didn't look at the top harness height as it was for a young baby. I'd like to see them side-by-side to compare.

mommycat

Ah, I was thinking you were looking at a new radian for some reason.

The TF does not have a numerical limit, it only uses the 1" rule for RF height limit. The measurements forum has the internal seating height at 26.5" to top of headrest, so a limit of approx. 25.5" seated height to top of head. Plus or minus since fit always varies once in the car.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=150600

mommycat

snowbird25ca

I believe there is less growing room in the Britax 65 line of seats than in the My Ride. The True Fit is going to have much much much more room from a growing room perspective than either of those seats - it just maxes out at 35lbs rf'ing instead of 40lbs like the others.

FrauDrA

I hadn't thought about the My Ride. It uses the 1" rule for RF? How is it for ease of install and use? I like our infant Safeseat well enough, found it easy to use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC