5 Children in harnessed seats - which vehicle?

J

Joyce6830

Dh and I know a family that is looking for a new vehicle. They are leaning toward a Ford Excursion. They will have 5 children that need harnessed seats:

6 year old special needs in large harnessed seat
3 yr old
2 yr old
expecting twins any day

I KNOW - Can you imagine!

They have to have enough room to carry strollers for these children AND a pretty large special needs wheel chair for their oldest child.

I believe that the wheel chair for their oldest child also has some type of lift to get it into the back of their current van as it is heavy.

Do you know if car seats can be installed in the 3rd row seat of an Excursion? Do you have any suggestions for a safer vehicle? Money is not a consideration for this family.

THANKS

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Excursion is notably lacking on safety features. It is also heavy enough such that it does not have to conform to various safety standards, such as LATCH. You might want to browse our pages at http://www.suvsafety.info for some ideas.

Unfortunately, I do not know which passenger vehicles are best for fitting a custom wheelchair.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The '04 Sienna is supposed to come in a version with a lift & wheel chair restraints. It gets EXCELLENT crash test results, and it sounds like a great vehicle otherwise as well. I'd definitely want to take that one for a test drive before going with anything else.

sirrahn

Wheelchair accessible Sienna....

Here's a link that gives some details Toyota Rampvan

It sounds to me from your description though that the child doesn't actually ride in the wheelchair in the vehicle though so I don't know if that would be what they need.

The Sienna does have available seating for 8 though and I would think it would be easier to load kids into than an Excursion. I've ridden in an Excursion and although it's certainly roomy, it's high and a pretty good climb in and out. Also, the rear seat access isn't great. The second row doesn't tumble that I saw, it just slides forward.

HTH

U

Unregistered

Toyota Sienna

One version has three bucket seats in the 2nd row -- so you could [I'm guessing] fit 3 safety seats in the middle & 2 in the 3rd row with a space left open on the bench in the way back....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sienna

Checked it out at the Toyota site ... the middle bucket in the 8 passenger option can move forward. That might be the best seat for a special needs child & I'm guess the twins on either side in the other buckets -- unless their infant seats don't fit securely. That leaves 2 more seats plus another unused. Actually, now that I think about it I remember that the people I've known, including myself, with infant carriers have found bench seats a more secure fit -- so I guess the twins would be in the back [the 2 & 3 yo. in the side bucket seats] ... this leaves a space for mom or dad to ride between the infants as the other drives :) If they can afford it, I'm thinking this is the best possible option! The larger passenger vans with 3 rows & the front seats have a higher risk of rollover.

B

brownay2

Joyce- Did you find what you were looking for?

I am just letting you know that we are selling an 2000 Excursion limited. It is disel. I know some people dislike them. But we have loved it. I need something smaller because the excursion has alot of room we don't need. Do your research. If you are still interested email me. brownay2@aol.com
It is black with leather seats. Renee

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC