K, Made up my mind

dragonfly8

I just don't have the $$ for a radian right now, but here is the senario. I have 2 kids in seats. A 17 month old in an AO (ff) and a 7 year old in a LB booster. The booster needs a shoulder belt. I drive a 1999 Suburban. Is it safe to have both the kids in the second row, outboard positions? This seems to be the only way I can get the seats in properly, without making buckling the booster up properly, difficult.

Any info appreciated
Erin

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I just don't have the $$ for a radian right now, but here is the senario. I have 2 kids in seats. A 17 month old in an AO (ff) and a 7 year old in a LB booster. The booster needs a shoulder belt. I drive a 1999 Suburban. Is it safe to have both the kids in the second row, outboard positions? This seems to be the only way I can get the seats in properly, without making buckling the booster up properly, difficult.

Any info appreciated
Erin

It is definitely safe to have them both outboard as long as they are both installed properly and used properly.

Have you considered flipping your 17 mo old baby back RFing? Much safer, especially considering you will have the baby outboard. You can take the base off the AO and install it more upright to be more comfortable for the baby and give more leg room for front seat passengers.

If you are going to keep the baby FFing, just make sure you have the AO top tethered... not only is it required by law here, but it is extremely important because of the babies age and size.

dragonfly8

My youngest is ff as the AO that we have is only RF to 22 lbs........it is a few years old. Another reason that at some point, want to get another seat

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
My youngest is ff as the AO that we have is only RF to 22 lbs........it is a few years old. Another reason that at some point, want to get another seat

Actually it is not... trust me, I am up to date on all seats manufactured within the last 8 years...

More than likely if it is a few years old, you have one of the coveted 35lbs limit AO's. The 22lbs limit is the limit that it can be used for FFing.

There will also be stickers on the side of the seat that indicate RFing to 30lbs (or 35lbs if you have one of the coveted ones) and then it will stated FFing from 22lbs to 40lbs and booster mode from 40lbs to 80lbs.

NONE of the AO's have ever RF less than 30lbs, not a single one. Their manuals and stickers, however, are extremely confusing.

So, there is your good news for the day! Your seat RF to a minimum of 30lbs and if you are lucky it may even go to 35lbs! Check out the side of the carseat for the stickers and read it all the way through. If the wording is confusing, then feel free to post the wording and I will help interpret it for you.

dragonfly8

unfortunatly, my now almost 7 year old has peeled off the sticker with the manufacturer's date on it, but I bought it about a year and a bit after he was born. There still is the instruction sticker on the seat. I am 99.9% sure it states 5-22lbs RF and 20-40FF, then 40-80 booster. It is dark out right now, but I will re-read the sticker very carefully tomorrow. I will let you know what it says.

I also don't have the manual. I have moved quite a few times over the last 5 or so years, so likely it just got misplaced. I am the origional purchaser though, so at least I know it's history........
Have a good night and thanks
Erin

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That makes the seat around 6 years old... I am 100% positive that it RF to a minimum of 30lbs.

It is very confusing because the stickers will state exactly what you said, BUT there will also be more info stating that it *may* be used RFing between 22lbs and 30lbs (or 35 if you have one of these models).

I know without a doubt that it can RF to a minimum of 30lbs.

The other way you can check is to take the serial number off the seat and call Dorel Juvenile Group. They should state exactly what I have just told you as well. They will also be able to send you a new manual so that you can be positive you are using the seat correctly.

Please make sure that if you are using the seat FFing, that you do not have the bar in the top most position using the harness. This is for booster mode only to move the headrest a little higher. It is *not* safe to use with the harness in this position. There will be a warning imprinted on the plastic next to the top harness position and it can be difficult to read, but it is there.

These seats also have a 6 yr expiry date, although a few of them have popped up with 8 yr expiry dates as well. That might be something to check into as well.

Edited to add: It may state RF 5lbs - 22lbs and then if you read the wording under it, it will state this restraint may be used rfing between 5 lbs and 30lbs with a height of 19" - 32".

Please note that height limits are guidelines... as long as the head is contained within the shell of the carseat your child can remain RFing. There is NO standards for height limits set by Transport Canada. Companies put extremely conservative height guidelines on their seats to cover their butts. However, the majority of them have switched from having height guidelines to stating that the child can remain RFing as long as the head is contained within the shell OR if it is an infant seat, they will now state the child can remain in the seat until there is less than one inch of hard shell above their heads. These last two statements are height guidelines that must be followed.

Last edited:

cdncasper

Hey Dragon, Did you want me to come check out your AO? Maybe having another set of eyes IRL would help. I am more than happy to help.

Misty-Bug

you might want to think of saving the money cause like a PP said it is getting too old. ANd I have an AOE and my neighbour has an AO, you can RF to 30lbs. It gets confusing cause it also states that it can FF from 22-40lbs. 22 is the minimum FF limit like another poster said but child can stay RFing till 30lbs.
My 15 month old son is about 23lns and still RFing

dragonfly8

I am in canada, but I am guessing that since this is a canadian forum, that you are aware. Again, I will look later today at my seat to double check. I will be home from work about 5 today, will post again later

Erin

Misty-Bug

you can look at the french side and you can at least see th numbers. TJ's has the radian that goes to 65 in case you are interested.
I am in canada as well and that is what my seat says

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC