Question Graco My Ride 65, RF for 3 yr old?

Crys22B

Hi! I'm fairly new here, I've become obsessed with car seats & researching Car seat safety recently. I currently have my 6.5 yr old FF in a Graco Nautilus, harnessed. I also have my 3 year old in a Graco Nautilus FF, harnessed. However I'm super terrified of having him FF! I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid, but I went ahead & ordered a Graco My ride 65 for my 3 yr old. He is currently 28.5lbs and about 37" tall (we are all rather petite) Would this seat work RF for him? Or should I continue to FF him in the Nautilus? Im hoping there's some mommas out there who can give me advice on this!

Also my 6.5 year old was using the Latch system on his Nautilus, but I recently changed to the seatbelt to fasten his nautilus. He is still in the harness though. I read somewhere Honda accords only have a 40lb limit on the latch system :( is this true?

Thank you!!!

My 3 yr old. Not the best pic! But I try

Attachments

• image-1989978569.jpg
    image-1989978569.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 41
ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
At three I wouldn't stress about it - if you want to turn him back RF, that's great, but I probably wouldn't choose a MyRide. They're just SO deep, it's hard to get an older RF'er in and out of, and it's probably only going to get him 6 months worth of RF time anyway unless he has a very small torso.

If I were going to turn a 3 year old RF, I'd go with a Radian, they're just so much easier for older RFers.

My own 3.5 (4 in Sept) year old is FF and has been for about two months now, and I'm 100% comfortable with it, so I probably wouldn't spend $200++ to turn him back RF unless you plan on another child you would use the RF seat for as well.

And yep, Honda does have a 40 pound weight limit on the lower anchors, so once your kiddo is 40 pounds you need to use the seat belt to install. Keep using the top tether though!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi! I'm fairly new here, I've become obsessed with car seats & researching Car seat safety recently. I currently have my 6.5 yr old FF in a Graco Nautilus, harnessed. I also have my 3 year old in a Graco Nautilus FF, harnessed. However I'm super terrified of having him FF! I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid, but I went ahead & ordered a Graco My ride 65 for my 3 yr old. He is currently 28.5lbs and about 37" tall (we are all rather petite) Would this seat work RF for him? Or should I continue to FF him in the Nautilus? Im hoping there's some mommas out there who can give me advice on this!

Provided he has more than 1" of shell above his head it's fine for him.

Also my 6.5 year old was using the Latch system on his Nautilus, but I recently changed to the seatbelt to fasten his nautilus. He is still in the harness though. I read somewhere Honda accords only have a 40lb limit on the latch system :( is this true?

Yup. Continue to use the top tether, though. And don't worry about it. LATCH is not safer than the seatbelt. Just make sure you locked the belt and you have less than 1" of movement at the belt path and you're good.

Wendy

Crys22B

Thank you guys!! I will be checking how he fits in the My ride today! He is rather small for a just turned 3yr old. Also, Thank you for the tip about the Radian! I will look into that!

As for my 6 yr old I do still have the top tether strapped! :) thank you for your great advice!

babyherder

I'm using a myride rf for a kiddo who will be 3 next month. She has several inches above her head. The higher sides can be a little hard for her to climb over but as long as she climbs into the seat next to the myride and then steps in, its fine.

NVMBR02

A Nautilus is a safe choice for a 3 year old but if you choose to Rear face him that is great too! My almost 3 year old(she'll be 3 in August) is similar in size to your DS has has a lot of room in the MyRide still. I am not sure of your Ds's torso height, which will come in to play. My dd is 35.5inches, 23 pounds and has a seated shoulder (torso height) of 11.5 inches. We also have a Raidan that she rides in but she actually prefers the MyRide. She climbs in and out of both seats.

Crys22B

So I put the My ride in my car and tested it out & he fits perfectly with plenty of room to grow!! The car seat is a little bulky & wide but for now we like it! He seems happy with it so far but I'm hoping he doesn't freak out when we are driving because he can't see like he was when he was FF. (keeping fingers crossed) :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC