What Do I Do Now?

LKuepfer

I feel like I keep bugging you guys but now I'm stuck again. We just got a 2006 Silverado truck and I'm trying to find a cheap easy car seat for my 44 lb., turned four years old in Feb. daughter. I started another thread and it came down to the V7 Harmony. I did get a turbo booster for short trips(It will be used mostly as a farm truck) but I would like a 5 point harness for longer trips or late at night trips for her to sleep. I also want this as a extra easy car seat to use for riding with aunts, uncles or friends, so I'd like it to be easy to install and not too wide.

So I got the V7 and I can only get it installed tightly with the UAS not the seatbelt. I also could not get it installed tightly with the UAS in her aunts Subaru. I finally uninstalled her Nautilus from our main vehicle and used that in half the time I fooled around with the V7. She's ridden in the V7 once but I suppose I could return it yet. I feel like it will be useless if I can't install it easily into most vehicles. She does have at least an inch left in torso height.

The other thing I'm wondering about is what the lower anchor limits are? If she is already 44 lbs. and the limit is 40 or even 48 what good is it if I can only install it with the UAS. I can't find any weight limits in the truck manual or on line.

So what is left? Using the Mastro for 3 pounds? spending over double for another Nautilus which is so wide for fitting into other people's vehicles?
Help!! I feel stuck as what to do next.

ADS

canadiangie

GM vehicles are 48 lb UAS limit.

Subaru is weight of seat + child cannot exceed 60 lbs.

Do you already own a Maestro? (forgive me if that answer is right in front of me)

3 pounds at her age could take you to a good booster age... ie: closer to age 5.

Yes, the V7 is hit or miss. I fought with it the other night in someone's 3rd row pass side seat in her Oddy. Total no-go though mostly due to forward of the bite buckle stalks and the combo of the low belt path that's pretty much on the back of the V7.

amyd

Yeah, I'm not a V7 fan either. I bought one hoping it would fit in my third row. Yeah right. LOL. It does provide a nice booster fit on my 4 yo though. Too bad he's not 40lbs yet.

You're not bugging anyone, this board is designed for questions like these! I just bought a V7 the other day too and I could not get it to install with the seat belt well in my '09 Accord, and with only a 48 lb latch limit (which I can't even use b/c child who will be riding in it most of the time is 42 lbs and Honda only allows 40lbs for LATCH) so I'm returning it. As for easy to install, it may get better with some practice. Certain seats have little tricks to getting them installed in a timely manner, I.e the angle of the seat, even the angle you pull the seat belt at through the belt path. Give it another few tries with the seat belt, and see if it gets any easier. Maybe try an Evenflo SecureKid 400? If not, maybe a booster with huge head wings to attempt to better keep her in place while asleep ( Diono monterey, Britax Parkway SG/L?) I honestly can't think of any other harnessed seats that have a high weight capacity and are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

mommycat

I am a fan of our V7, though at first I was not. It takes some practice to get it right and it won't be right for all vehicles. I could not figure out a UAS install in my civic but the seatbelt worked fine once I pulled the bottom of the seat away from the seat bight a bit, twisted down the buckle stall and moved the UAS belts out of the buckle guides so the seatbelt could slide more freely. It is still not as immovable ad most of my other seats but a more than acceptable install.

Is the maestro still only rated to 47lbs? I was going to suggest that but it would be a bit of a gamble. I would maybe look at a generations 65, do we still have those? How much is the secureKid 400? Sorry so many questioning statements, I usually fact check as I post but on the iPod it's too hard to look everything up as I go along. :eek:

LKuepfer

Thanks ladies, no I do not own a Maestro and would have to purchase one. I never thought about a Generations 65. How are they normally to install and how does their harness height compare to the V7. Does anyone know?

I also am not sure where to look at a SecureKid 400. I have not found them online. What store carries them and are they fairly straightforward to install?

And thanks for the information on the lower latch limit. At least I have 4 lbs to use that for.

tam_shops

For a really short 44# 4yo, I might look at the Generations, but for a tall one, there'd be no point. My (then) short (but long torso) 4yo, was on the top slots of the Generations when we went for the Maestro for our d/c seat, so be sure to check her IN the seat and see if she has an inch or two to grow.

For a 44# child I'd skip the Maestro, that's 3# and it could be 3 years or 3 months...

The Securekid is $200 at TRU. It has the same weight limit as the Graco Nautilus, but is less money. Though, I swore I've seen the Nautilus IRL at Walmart for less than the $220 it's on their website. Not sure though...Personally, for almost the same money, I prefer the Nautilus, but as I'm sure you've noticed, it also depends on how/what fits in your vehicle and if it fits on your seats...

The Maestro is really built for tall/thin kids and I've read complaints about the straps rubbing on bigger kids necks. Never had a complaint from mine, but it's a d/c seat and they're never in it long...

tam

mommycat

I'm getting a bit rusty on the stats but I think the Generations had top slots at about 16"...? That is about the same as the V7 so if she has room in that she should be ok in the Gen65 as well... But of course it is best to check in person! I have never used the seat so not sure but I think the harness webbing would be similar. The Gen also has the knobs like the Triumph advance, IIRC. So that is something you either like or not.

I believe the secureKid is at TRU as well as... Sears? Canadian Tire? I think it was Sears, will go have a look and confirm.

mommycat

Not Sears? The EFTA is on sale for $152.99 though, heh. That has 17-ish inch top slots and a 65lb limit, but it doesn't booster and it is wide. :(

Not seeing it on CT either. I am sure I saw it somewhere other than TRU though? :(

mommycat

Ok found it - it was amazon.ca. It's $199.99 there as well, and says there are only two left in stock.

BRU website has the Gen65 listed with "clearance pricing" while quantities last at $119.98. And free shipping since it is over $100.

LKuepfer

Thanks Ladies, Yeah I did find the Secure Kid on the TRU website. Is it narrower than the Nautilus? The Nautilus installs so easily but is so wide. I wish
the Secure Kid would come on sale. I like the way it looks although I haven't seen it in person. How high are it's harness straps? Her torso height is 15 1/2 inches. Her height is 42 1/2. Which come to think of it I'm surprised she has so much room in the V7 if it's height is around 16. And yeah I saw the generations 65 is on sale. Maybe I'll have to make a trip to TRU. Is there typically less room or more room height wise when installed?
Oh and which car seat does EFTA stand for? Thanks!

LKuepfer

Some one else posted that it went to 50lbs too. I'd love to get a Maestro, simple and easy but I have only seen it listed as going to 47 lbs. Has it changed or is the advertising wrong? or is it a difference of CAN versus US?

dragonfly8

Some one else posted that it went to 50lbs too. I'd love to get a Maestro, simple and easy but I have only seen it listed as going to 47 lbs. Has it changed or is the advertising wrong? or is it a difference of CAN versus US?

The Maestro in Canada harnesses to 47lbs.
Unless it's recently changed:rolleyes:

LKuepfer

Thanks Ladies, Yeah I did find the Secure Kid on the TRU website. Is it narrower than the Nautilus? The Nautilus installs so easily but is so wide. I wish
the Secure Kid would come on sale. I like the way it looks although I haven't seen it in person. How high are it's harness straps? Her torso height is 15 1/2 inches. Her height is 42 1/2. Which come to think of it I'm surprised she has so much room in the V7 if it's height is around 16. And yeah I saw the generations 65 is on sale. Maybe I'll have to make a trip to TRU. Is there typically less room or more room height wise when installed?
Oh and which car seat does EFTA stand for? Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC