Which seats would you take for our trip?

MonkeysMom615

So we're going home this summer for a nice month longish visit (yay!) but I'm not sure what to do about seats. It's going to be 2 flights one super long (like 11 hours) and one super short (like 45 minutes). BOTH kids have been purchased seats on all flights. :) DS2 will be in his CCO RFing at all times (plane and all vehicles). My issue comes with DS1.

He's finally hit 35 pounds so our back up TF's will need to be turned FFing if we're going to take one of those. His main seat in my car is a RNXTSL. Our plan when we get home is to let my FIL use our Saturn ION that's still sitting at their house and use his (what we remember to be a) Toyota 4Runner. There's a chance we'll end up using the ION if he's not keen on the idea of switching vehicles but we don't think it's going to be a problem (DH just hasn't talked to him about it yet).

DS1 hasn't been in the TF since we learned he has hit 35pounds. It was installed in DH's car as a back up (RFing) but I haven't reinstalled it as I can't bring myself to turn him even in a car he rides in only once a week. But I digress.

He's going to be 4. Do I take a TF and suck up the fact that he'll be FFing 100% of the time. Take the RNXTSL and attempt to RF him as much as possible with the option to FFing if needed (like on the plane and in the ION since I figure it won't fit RFing and still have room for a passenger in front). Or take the RNXTSL and leave the RFing boot at home and strictly FF him in that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks! :)

ADS

MonkeysMom615

I was leaning toward the radian. :) Now to find that carry strap that is somewhere in this house. :) I'll see how we are on luggage/carry-ons and if the boot fits take it along just in case (good idea KQ, thanks!). I figure the radian will fit better on the plane. Has anyone installed a FFing radian on a plane before? Pointers? Tips? :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, it's a cinch! I've never had trouble installing, you just tighten from the front. If you do have trouble others have reported that reclining, tightening, then unreclining the airplane seat can help. The buckle ends up in the belt path but I've never had a kid complain, even my sensory-disordered one, the novelty of ”airplane ride” was enough of a distraction that it went unnoticed I guess.

lanwenyi

FWIW, if you do bring the Radian boot and you end up using the Ion, the radian fits beautifully rfing in an Ion. I seriously think it was made for rfing in that car. Even without the AA, I fit comfortably in the front passenger seat w/ the rfing Radian behind me.

As for your original question, I hate traveling with both of those seats. If I had to pick between the 2, I'd take the Radian. However, personally, I'd pick up a Scenera 40RF if he still fits rfing in it OR I'd pick up a Maestro and FF for the trip. I will NEVER travel with a Radian again. I know some people love traveling with it and it does fit awesomely FFing on the plane, but it's heavy and awkward (even with backpack straps), so DH and I vowed to never travel with it again. We travel with Avenues. My DD, who is rfing at home, rides FFing on vacation b/c she's too close to the rfing limit. We place a premium on light-weight seats when traveling.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think it's that bad to lug around, but yeah, personal thing. There are other options besides backpacking it- I've used a Travelling Toddler, and also strapped it in an umbrella stroller with bungee cords.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm another that will never fly with a Radian again. Last time we took the Complete Air and it was worlds better. I'd much rather pick up a travel seat than fly with the Radian, and I doubt the TF would be much better.

kathysr98

I flew with the RN about 2 weeks before dd turned 4. We bought four large key rings from a key making shop and used them to attach it to our carry on suitcase. I also kept the back pack straps on it for use in small areas or quick layovers. To use the key rings, take three of the rings & thread them on to the fourth. Then attach the top tether strap & latch strap to the three outer rings. All three rings cost less than $5. We kept the boot attached to the seat until we got on the plane, then took it off & put it under the seat in front of dd like a personal item. It worked beautifully!

MonkeysMom615

I do have a Travelling Toddler! :) And the Flash frame for the CCO. :) I'm almost positive he's too tall for a Scenera and that's about the most I'd want to spend on a spare travel seat. I've travelled with the TF before and so I know it being wide is a pain for me personally. I prefer heavy to awkward. :) Thanks for all the advice so far! :)

I'm on my phone. You know the "typo" spiel.

MonkeysMom615

lanwenyi said:
FWIW, if you do bring the Radian boot and you end up using the Ion, the radian fits beautifully rfing in an Ion. I seriously think it was made for rfing in that car. Even without the AA, I fit comfortably in the front passenger seat w/ the rfing Radian behind me.

Ooooo! Good to know! Thanks! :)

I'm on my phone. You know the "typo" spiel.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC