Question Booster Seat Tilt at Turns

sftong

Hello, I recently bought a new booster seat for my 5 year old. It is EvenFlo High Back booster. I checked my son's height and weight to make sure he has passed the minimal requirements of the booster.

Now, I place the booster in the middle of the back seat of a sedan, because he likes the unobstructed view. However, I found that the sedan car seat belt is not tight on him (probably more for adult that small kid), and since the booster does not have its base attached to any car structure, I find that my son would tilt or sway one way when the car turn a corner (even at low speed). Currently the booster setting is without the High Back, but I will put it on later.

Is that common? Change new booster? or am I doing something wrong? or maybe he just need the high Back put on which have a shoulder guide for the sedan seat belt, which I guess may tighten the booster?

Thanks
Sean

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a five year old I would definitely use the back. I like backless boosters after the high back is outgrown, usually from 8-12 years old.

Is your son sitting properly, or is he leaning into it? If he's leaning, he needs a harness to keep him in place.

If he's not and he's sitting fine, it may be that your car, like most, has a small hump in the center. As you go through the turn and regular physics kicks in, the booster is tipping over the side of the hump. I'd move him to the side if that's the case.

If your car and the booster allow it you can lock the seatbelt on him. That may also help.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

what is the make, model, and year (because things change from year to year) of your sedan?

also, you DO have a shoulderbelt in the middle, correct?

My first suggestion (after you definitely attach the back to the booster) is to put him outboard. sometimes middle seats are slightly raised or hump-like and that makes a booster there tippy when it wouldn't be in another seating position.

sftong

Thank you Wendy and Kat. Yes, the middle of the sedan has a little bump, and that's why I think the physic cause my son + booster to tilt. I think moving him to the outer side would help, but he sure likes the view at the middle seat!

The sedan comes with the 3 seat belt at the back, including one in the middle seat which is the one I use to belt on him.

But I don't see any booster that comes with the lock (like typical car seat), and the sedan middle seat does not have any lock either. So I guess the best bet is to put on the high back which has a belt shoulder guide and should help to stabilize.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What car do you have? If it's newer than 1997 it has to have locking belts. Either at the buckle or at the shoulder.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

exactly... being outboard should get rid of the tipping and having the back on will help support him if he falls asleep and give the best shoulder belt fit possible

your seatbelt will lock in a crash... if you can't pull it out all the way and then let it slowly retract to lock it (like one would in some cars, such as my hubby's chevy cobalt) to install a carseat, then the seatbelts have lightweight locking latchplates... that will keep the lapbelt snug on your son's thighs and help stabilize it, but obviously you still need the seat to be on a flatter surface than it currently was.

sparklyPEA405

This happened with me the one time I put the 5 year old I watch in the middle in a evenflo big kid. I also have a small sedan and it doesn't happen with the graco turbo booster, just the evenflo big kid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC