Stressing about seats...Trip is less than 2 weeks away!

salyluz

We have a MR65, RA50, the Monterey, and a Recaro ProSport. I also have a Scenera. Kids are 7.5yo-67lbs/52", 5yo-45lbs/46", 3yo-28lbs/35", and 10mo-18lbs/28"

We are a less than 2 weeks away from our trip and the seat arrangements are causing me the most anxiety. We are renting a 9 passenger Nissan Primastar (this is what we could find where we will be).

I still can't get an answer to being able to bring a seat on the plane ( Iberia :{ ) or not.... But even if I can I am still one seat short (lap baby...I know, I know--we didn't pay for the tickets and can't, it is a gift from family), so I either need to buy a cheap one when we get there or pack it up with a crazy amount of bubble wrap and check it (and pray it makes it to the other side on time).

I love using LATCH, but am trying to practice using a locking clip...still not 100% sure I am doing it right.

I'm not really sure what my question is at this time, just trying to work it out...

ADS

MammaBear

Just a question - how do you plan to get the baby from the airport to the store where you buy a new seat if you don't have a seat?

salyluz

Or any of them for that matter! This is what I am talking about...
We have family in Spain that can help (take one of us to the store while the other waits), but Uggg...that sounds awful).

I was able to finally get a hold of someone at Iberia about the use of car seats on flights. I am not allowed to use any seats for the children 2 and over, only for under 2 if I bought a seat for them.

So, I have to check them and am freaking out about it. I might be able to wrap it up enough to prevent damage, but what if they don't show up when we get there...?

My dh says to just buy a couple of harmony's and another scenera to wrap and take and hope they show up at the right time and then just leave them in Spain. (Our seats will be in our van parked at the airport).

Would this be my best option?

newyorkDOC

Actually that's what I'd do too. I'd check the scenera in the box. They might give you grief about it but they will allow it if you fight it bc its a baby item.

I think you can pack the harmonies in your luggage. Aren't they LBB?

And then i'd leave them there for future use on return trips since you have family there. Car seats in Europe are REALLY expensive - like 200 euros each or more for crappy seats that don't RF past 13kg (if even!).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Sceneras don't come in a box. :( Just a bag. Bring the bag, yes, to keep it from getting wet/dirty.

Will they allow you to gate-check the car seats?

I would try gate checking one Scenera and taking the other one on the plane. Maybe they won't question you walking onto the plane with one baby and one car seat. The worst that can happen is that you can pretend you never called ahead and had no idea you couldn't take a car seat on the plane with you, and you'll have to give it back to the flight attendant to be gate-checked.

salyluz

Thank you for letting me know about seats being expensive over there. I wasn't sure if they had a comparable scenera type seat or not.

I am totally fine playing the innocent "I didn't know" card, but tell me how gate checking will be better for the seat in terms of getting damaged. Does it not get knocked around as much or is it in a different area than the regular luggage? I will do what ever has a better chance of staying structurally sound and getting there on time.

The sceneras don't come in boxes, but my plan would be to bubble wrap them and put them in one of the other car seat boxes I have. I might even be able to fit two together in a box. Would that offer any extra protection?

We are fine leaving those kind of seats over there, but most likely won't be back for a long time--like kids not in seats long--it has been 9yrs since my dh and I went and is a gift we wouldn't normally be able to do. Oh well, maybe my great niece and nephew can use them or someone they know.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
They go through less handling when they are gate checked.

When you drop them off at the ticket counter, they are loaded on conveyer belts, thrown onto trucks, hauled across the air port, loaded onto other trucks, tossed off the trucks, conveyer-belted up to the air plane, and THEN stacked in the cargo hold. Then they go through it all again but backwards on the other end.

When you gate check them, they're put on a cart and run down to the cargo hold along with any wheel chairs or walkers that are brought to the gate by mobility-impared passengers. (Sometimes on a conveyer belt, and yes, sometimes just thrown unfortunately). Then when the plane lands, they are pulled off first and brought back up to the gate. There are fewer opportunities for them to get damaged, mis-routed, or lost entirely.

newyorkDOC

You could look at avenues as well. If you mail order them the come in a box.

I don't think I've ever seen a convertible for less than 200 euros here. And they are the crappy ones that RF to 9kg! At that rate you may as well spend the extra 75 euros and get a TWE.

salyluz

So what then would you all do...

Gate Check or Bubble Wrapped in a car seat box and counter checked?

It seems the benefits of gate checking might outweigh the lack of protection that I could provide when counter checked, right?

Yeah, we can't afford "cheap" seats in that range to just leave. Thank you all for your help.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think bubble wrap in box trumps gate checking any time.

Absolutely. Though if they'll let you do both-gate-check well-protected- that would be even better. I've sat on the runway, watched them throw gate-checked seats down, the handler catching missed, a seat BOUNCED, and they picked it up and put it on the cart-I'm sure the family wasn't notified. :(

Boot

I would take the scenera to the gate and see if they have free seat for the baby. If not, try to use it for the 3 year old and if not, gate check. Fwiw, I brought a roll of bubble wrap, tape and fragile stickers with me to the gate. I tried to talk them into giving me a seat for my lap baby. That worked 2 out of 4 flights. When it was a no go I quickly bubble wrapped and gave it to them. Hopefully the bubble wrap gave some protection. Also the seat would have been soaking wet without it as it was raining very hard at one airport. The other seats pack as described and check at check-in. I'm guessing you'll need to pay some extra but you can maybe get one or two through free as baby equipment. Good luck. I know how stressful it is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC