A carseat convenient enough for use on transit bus?

Hello everyone,
I have a question, and I was hoping someone here could help me out.

I do not have a car or a license, so my 3 year old daughter and I have to take the local transit bus wherever we go. My daughter was rear faced until her 3rd birthday, And I had no choice but to front face her with a new carseat because I couldn't afford a $250+ carseat to rearface her longer. So because of this, I bought a Safety 1st seat for $120- Which was as much as I could afford. BUT front facing is better than nothing especially since she's safe. Heck, our bus driver told us we're the only family that uses a car seat on the entire route (this includes newborn babies who are just plopped on the seat like a sack of groceries)- Which seems absurd because the parents just don't feel like carrying a carseat with them. Our buses are fully equipped with regular lap belts, so a carseat is easy to install. There's no excuse in my opinion.

Now, Her carseat is 25 lbs, and I don't mind carrying it around with us because I know she's safe, and that is all that matters. It's hard lugging it, and my daughter and groceries, but at least I don't have to worry about her safety. I would however like a lighter carseat....But I can't find ANYTHING online about this type of situation. It seems that public transit buses are totally neglected when it comes to safety in seats for children. I wrote the company for the Safeguard STAR seat and they said it was only to be used on school buses....And they didn't know of any seats that were usable for regular transit buses that were lightweight AND foldable, etc

If I can't find a lightweight/travel friendly seat to buy, it's okay, I'll just continue lugging the 25 pounder everywhere we go LOL, But I would still like to see if there are any other options out there :)
Thanks!!!!

ADS

Brianna

Great job on keeping your daughter RF until 3- that's awesome!

How much does she weigh, and what's her torso height? Sit her against a wall cross-legged and measure from bum to shoulder to get torso height.

Brianna

I think for her size, your best bet would be an Evenflo Maestro. It harnesses to 50 pounds and has approximately 18" top harness slots. According to the spreadsheets here the seat weighs 10 pounds.

I believe all "portable" or "foldable" car seats require either a lap/shoulder belt or a top tether, which it doesn't sound like your bus has.

Thank you :) I just looked it up, it sounds like a good option for us!!! When I bought the Safety 1st seat, I didn't realize that in order for it to be used as a booster, it needed the shoulder belt, and our bus doesn't have that! I was so disappointed, so once she outgrows the regular carseat weight/height limit, I won't be able to use our current carseat as a booster....so disappointing. So I need to get a replacement fairly soon.

Brianna

No boosters work with just a lap belt. Harnessed car seats may be installed with lap belts, but they're no good for boosters.

Once your daughter has reached the harnessed limit of her car seat, she'll have to switch to either just the lap belt or nothing. I'll let a tech clarify which would be the preferred option for a transit bus, but that's years away at this point.

That's true, I was just hoping there were other options. I hope by that point I will have a car but there is no guarantee....But at least she's safe for now. Would the Maestro be usable without a shoulder belt? I never see any specifications for that type of thing, I guess it's not very common to have ONLY a lap belt these days. I just don't want to buy it only to find that we cannot use it.

I wrote evenflo about the Maestro, To see if it can be used with JUST a lap belt...I don't think so though judging by the installation video....

Are there any other lightweight carseats available that only use the lapbelt, but have a decent height/weight limit? I'm sorry if I'm asking so many questions haha, this situation is just very difficult lol

Brianna

You can install the Maestro with just a lap belt in harness mode. If you ride in a car/taxi/other non-bus/train vehicle, attach the top tether if possible.

mdsvc89

Do the seatbelts on your transit bus lock? I've never hear of a public transportation bus having seatbelts, so this whole discussion is an eye opener to me!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the GoGo Kidz Travelmate. It's a little more expensive than a Maestro, but you could pop it off for install. It doesn't work with every carseat, but it's another option to consider.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do the seatbelts on your transit bus lock? I've never hear of a public transportation bus having seatbelts, so this whole discussion is an eye opener to me!

Unless they are belts with a sewn-on latchplate and non-locking retractor, which is unlikely on a bus, lap-only belts lock. :)

Speaking of belts- are there always/almost always extra seatbelts around? If there's one in the row behind, temporary tethering is an option (tethering to the seatbelt behind.) It could significantly increase safety and later open up some options...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC