Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

5-pt harness or high-back booster?

My 5 1/2 year old is close to outgrowing his Britax Marathon (he's 45 inches and it goes to 46--his ears are still below the top of the seat). I've read all the info and FAQ, but I can't figure out what it means when it is said that the child should be "mature enough" to sit in a booster with a seatbelt. Is this physical maturity (and if so, what are the size standards)? Or is it emotional maturity (as in, won't try to wiggle out of the shoulder belt)? We are all seatbelt fanatics in my family--my DH won't move the car unless everyone is buckled up, and my DS (age 5 1/2) freaks out if you even mistakenly put the car in gear and he's not got himself all the way buckled, so I think he meets the emotional maturity part.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 5-pt harness or high-back booster?

Welcome.

Are his shoulders below the top slot? If not, he's already outgrown it. The 46" (or 49", or whatever it states) really doesn't mean anything. As stated in the manual it's outgrown when the shoulders go over the top slots, when the tops of the ears go above the top of the shell, or at the weight limit.

At 5.5 if he would sit properly (and it sounds like he would), a booster is a fine option for him.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Unregistered

No--his shoulders are not above the top slot.

Thank you.

CPS Technician

He might have already outgrown the MA (like Wendy said). Our DD just turned 5y this month is 53# and 45" and she outgrew her BV last year before turning 4y. But our kids do have long torsos. She is in a 5-point, but that is because we had to replace her seat when she was not yet 4y.

DS just turned 6y and we had to replace his seat shortly after he turned 5y. He's was expiring. We moved him to a booster and he has done wonderful! He has a SK monterey and turbo. He much prefers the monterey over the turbo now. He is currently 63# and 4'1". He is on the last setting in the turbo and will outgrow it over the summer.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

I think by maturity, they're referring to boys like mine (turning 5 next week) who wiggle and move the seat belt around and stuff. I just bought him a Frontier 85 because I love having him in the harness, and he thinks it's a "big boy" seat (he didn't have cupholders in his marathon). He's VERY tall....47"....and there is PLENTY of growth room for him. So we're both happy! And he can stay immature! :P

CPS Technician

If he hasn't outgrown the MA, I would use it until he outgrows it. How close are his shoulders to the top slots? Then I would get him a booster if you think he can sit still.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by pippi2077 View Post
    If he hasn't outgrown the MA, I would use it until he outgrows it. How close are his shoulders to the top slots? Then I would get him a booster if you think he can sit still.
    This is my plan--not to replace the Marathon until we need to. But I'm starting my research now. My son is 45" and 47 lbs. --the info on Britax's website says our seat is good to 65 lb and 49". His ears are well below the top of the car seat. His shoulders about an inch from the top slots. I think he'll do great in a booster, and if he doesn't I have no qualms about going to a 5-pt harness.

Thanks!