Frontier, Nautilus, SecureKid?

Plumble

We're moving my 8 month old into the Evenflo Symphony and want to get a new carseat for my 3 year old. He is very tall for his age and just above average weight. I've heard the Britax Frontier, the Graco Nautilus and the Evenflo SecureKid are our best options. I know very little about any of them. I want this to be the last carseat I have to buy for him if that's possible. Any opinions? We have a Honda Odyssey so I'm not too worried about how big it is but if I can avoid buying the most expensive one just because it has better cup holders or something then I would love that ;-)
Also, if we simply can't live without the Britax could you tell me why the Frontier 85 and the Frontier 85 SICT have such a big price difference and if the upgrade is necessary?

Thank you!!!!

ADS

Plumble

I think he's 23 inches from seat to top of head. I was chasing him around with a metal tape measure so that's give or take a little bit ;-)

Kegracin

I think he's 23 inches from seat to top of head. I was chasing him around with a metal tape measure so that's give or take a little bit ;-)

Can u convince him to sit against the wall and measure from the floor to shoulder or tell us what size clothing hes in. That will help us decide which direction to point you in.

Spam

The frontier is usually the go to for kids with long torsos. If he has a longer than average torso it'll be the best bet as it has the highest top harness slot. The difference between the regular and sict, is the sict has big air cushions on the outside of the seat, imo not worth the extra money. The nautilus will generally last kids to age 5 or 6 harnessed with average torsos, I'm assuming the securekid is the same. I don't have securekid, but do have a maestro, my three year old has about the same growing room in both. They all have cupholders.

mominabigtruck

My ds2 has a very long torso and he is in a frontier 85. He wouldn't have lasted in a nautilus or secure kid much past 3 so I would just bite the bullet and put the money out up front.
Posted via Mobile Device

jdjr6735

I JUST bought a Frontier 85 for my almost 5-year-old (he was43.25" on his 4th bday - very tall). He has plenty of room to grow. I was going to buy the SICT just because of the red color, but I went to see it in person at Buy Buy Baby - it's ENORMOUS. I only have 2 kids so fitting them in my SUV is not an issue at ALL for me, but the gigantic size of the SICT turned me off. At 8 years old, I'm sure having a bulky booster would seem more like a "baby" seat. So I went with the plain old 85 (which is still bigger than I had expected) and he's in LOVE with it! I'm extremely happy with that decision!

Phineasmama

The thing about the Frontier 85 is that not only does it have a tall harness that will last you much longer, once you turn it into a belt positioning booster it is also very tall. I think they are well worth the money. In fact I just bought one for my 5 year old daughter because she is not mature enough to sit in a booster yet and she still has 3 settings left in the harness!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC