Question Parkway vs TurboBooster

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
I'm adopting a small 6 year old (almost 7). I really like the SecureGuard on the Parkway since he's so small. I'm wondering, how is the back on it? Is it sturdier than some of the other HBBs? I have the Evenflo BigKid and hate it! (Especially since I don't have headrest to offer extra support in an accident.)

ADS

Ladyl

First of all congrats!

I much prefer the fit of the Turbo to the PWSG. The shoulder belt is just too close to the edge ds1's shoulder in th PWSG. He is an average sized 5.5 yr/old.

NannyMom

I'm not a fan of the PWSG/L for the small kids. Sofi and LK both are small kids (5 and 7) and I didn't like the shoulder belt fit. The Graco is known for falling apart. I'd look at the Recaro Vivo.

Kat_Momof3

congratulations!!! And you and your husband are wonderful for opening your home and hearts to adopt an older child!

the parkway is wider in the shoulder area, so not a great pick for a smaller booster rider. I'd look at the turbobooster and the Recaro Vivo (my favorite for smaller/skinnier booster riders)

zactayaus

The turbo was a much better fit on my tiny kiddo when we had the parkway a year or so ago. As a matter of fact he rode in the parkway one time and then I sold it because of how bad the shoulder belt fit was. As for the back of the tb falling off, you learn how to carry it so that it does not happen and if you won't be moving it then it's not an issue at all. I actually love how easily the back comes off the tb. DS will be 9yo in a couple of weeks. I have him use it with the back in our vehicle because he tends to fall asleep and it helps him stay in position, but it's a quick easy motion to remove the back and send him on his way with a friend in a parking lot after a practice or game and then he doesn't feel embarrassed cause he has this big seat to take with him. As for the vivo...DS hated the big huge headwings on it and so that was used a handful of times and then sold as well.

glockchick

I'll be the dissenter and say that I love the PW over the TB. Both fit my skinny kid well, but the PW has more padding in the booty which dd prefers and slightly larger head wings which I prefer. The PW also makes a much taller booster than the TB.

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
Thanks ladies! We can't wait to get G home. I *wish* we could try him in seats before buying one but it's not an option. Even though he's only six and legally he's supposed to be in a seat, he hasn't been in one in years so I'd have no way to transport him to a store. Plus, where he's living there's a Walmart, that's it, so not a great selection.

Those of you that like the Vivo better than the TB, can you elaborate more one why? Is it just the back coming off of the TB easily? Or is there something else that makes the Vivo better?

NannyMom

Thanks ladies! We can't wait to get G home. I *wish* we could try him in seats before buying one but it's not an option. Even though he's only six and legally he's supposed to be in a seat, he hasn't been in one in years so I'd have no way to transport him to a store. Plus, where he's living there's a Walmart, that's it, so not a great selection.

Those of you that like the Vivo better than the TB, can you elaborate more one why? Is it just the back coming off of the TB easily? Or is there something else that makes the Vivo better?

I like that it's sturdier, as in the back doesn't flop off. And I like the deeper headwings. Maybe buy a Graco for now since you can get it locally, then get a Vivo (or even Diono) later.

babyherder

Is he 40lbs yet? The parkway has a 40lb minimum while the hb tb minimum is 30lbs so that's another plus for small kiddos. I'd go with the graco tb for now and then when you actually see him and measure him get something else if you want.

Lenae

Yeah, for not knowing how anything is going to fit, honestly, the TB is a pretty safe bet. It fits nearly all kids at least decently, if not better. Being able to get it locally is a plus of course.

Am I remembering correctly that this is your nephew? Do you know when you'll be able to bring him home with you? If it's not you I'm remembering, please disregard, lol.

Kat_Momof3

I prefer the vivo because it's a more sturdy feeling seat in general, the deeper headwings make it great if the kid nods off (out of my 3 kids, only one slept fine in the turbo... I know that's not the average, but that's my kids... deep headwings were essential when possible)

I also like it because it sits so low that it fits well in third rows, it's never tippy, and it's more padded and the cover is so soft.

However, the turbobooster is and always has been a default great choice and a go-to for boosters.

The Vivo goes a little taller, but not enough that if money is an issue I'd push it. One other reason I got the vivo was because it has a shallow seat pan. Ruthie was ALL torso for so long that most boosters (turbo included at the time) were too deep for her to have her knees bend at the edge. The vivo was the only highback at that time (now the oobr that came out later would have been good, but way more pricey) and still is the only one that I would be able to afford that her legs fit well in. So I think it also depends on how he is built.

if he's leggy, I would go for the turbo or maybe the harmony dreamtime, which offer more leg support.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC