Good Sedan for 3 Across.

U

Unregistered

Hi Everyone. I'm currently shopping for a new car, and was looking at vans but would prefer something cheaper. So I'm looking for a good car that can fit 3 across.

I have a 6 year old in a backless booster, a 1 year old who is in the market for a convertible (a radian maybe for space?) and a baby on the way who will be using our Keyfit infant seat.

I had a subaru outback (that was totaled, unfortunately.) and I know the infant seat, booster, and a maxi cosi convertible would not fit together.

Is a radian a good option for a convertible for my 1 year old? And what are some sedan's that would possibly fit these 3 seats? I've looked at the possibility of a camry, and impala but I'd love some other suggestions.

Thanks!

ADS

aept

Doesn't the impala have those funny fixed-in-place headrests that get in the way for ff seats or boosters?
I think most any midsize sedan (like a ford Taurus size will) be pretty 3-across capable.

myliljunebugs

I was able to do several 3 across combinations in my Hyundai Sonata that I had before. I didn't try backless boosters but had a highback Monterey (older style), a radian RF'ing, and a Britax Frontier 85 in several different combinations and they worked. With the booster we would have to pull it out and buckle then push it back in place since there was no space to fit a hand. My mom has a taurus that is even easier to do that in but it doesn't have headrests so we don't ride in it with backless boosters.

kam1011

You can do three across in just about any car with the right combination of seats. The impala is very wide, but the headrests are incompatible with many seats, making it very difficult for some people. The camry is a good choice. My kids are currently riding in a Malibu and an Aveo, three across. I love the Malibu, but my lease is almost up and I'm going to go minivan. :rolleyes:

HaileysMommy

The Malibu doesn't have fixed headrests like the Impala. Also my Sebring is fabulous but its a 2002 and I think they have made the car smaller since then but not positive. I easily got a booster seat in there with a Radian in the middle. The Taurus of course.

luckyclov

The Impala is awesome, size-wise, for 3 acrosses and even has 3 dedicated sets of LATCH. However, yes, it also has fixed/angled headrests, which can pose an issue with child seat (FF through boosters) compatibility.

They've already been mentioned, but the Charger and Sonata are also pretty 3-across friendly.

Cath3114

clov878 said:
The Impala is awesome, size-wise, for 3 acrosses and even has 3 dedicated sets of LATCH. However, yes, it also has fixed/angled headrests, which can pose an issue with child seat (FF through boosters) compatibility.

They've already been mentioned, but the Charger and Sonata are also pretty 3-across friendly.

I think I could fit almost any seats 3 across in my Impala. I've never needed a booster in it, so I hope there will be compatible options when we get to that point in 5 years or so. But I love love love my Impala.

Emi's Mommy

DH's Dodge Charger has a massive backseat. You can fit practically anything back there. My Dodge Avenger(a Chrysler Sebring clone) can also do three across with the correct seats. One of the three acrosses that I have done included a keyfit.

MrsMcCullen07

I have a V/W Passat Wagon but I assume the sedan backseat is the same size :) I have 3 Radians in mine :) I plan to use the Radian as a infant seat for the baby OTW and my oldest will eventually use the Radian as a booster :) I also have a little room so one seat could be slightly bigger :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC