Whatever happend with the Dorel 45 degree seat angle?

Chris

I've been off the boards and out of the loop for quite awhile and was wondering whatever happened with Dorel and their crazy 45 deg seat angle lines? I have seen recent questions pop up on a facebook group about carseats and the dorel seats keep coming up. I was starting to almost like their seats when all that drama happened...now I don't know what to recommend to people for cheap, narrow, Rfing seats!

ADS

momtotwogirls

There new seats have come with dual recline lines. i think one is at 30 degrees and one at 45 but no structural changes with their seats.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's not really 30 and 45 degrees; I measured the level line for a child below 22 pounds, and it was 49* (and the more upright position was 43*). You are to have the seat installed level to one line for a child under 22 pounds and can install level with the other line for children above 22lbs and able to sit independently.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It's a little more complex than that.

Brand new (new designs) of seats are coming with two level lines. One line is at about 45 degrees and is for children under 22 lbs who aren't sitting unassisted. The other line is at about 30 degrees and is for kids over 22 lbs and sitting unassisted. Younger kids need the level line at the 45 degree angle. Older kids can use it at any recline angle between (and including) the two lines.

The new leveling instructions don't seem to have made a debut on the already-on-the-market seats yet. I have a complete air manufactured in January 2012 and it still has the single line on the side.

Chris

I do get that younger babies need to a greater recline to maintain their airway. It was the requirement for the same recline for my 1 1/2 yr old (and his discomfort in that position) that lead me to returning my onside air. The complete airs have come up more than once a a great narrow RFing altrnative to the radian, but with the installation concerns that many people had I have hesitated to recommend it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's a little more complex than that.

Brand new (new designs) of seats are coming with two level lines. One line is at about 45 degrees and is for children under 22 lbs who aren't sitting unassisted. The other line is at about 30 degrees and is for kids over 22 lbs and sitting unassisted. Younger kids need the level line at the 45 degree angle. Older kids can use it at any recline angle between (and including) the two lines.

The new leveling instructions don't seem to have made a debut on the already-on-the-market seats yet. I have a complete air manufactured in January 2012 and it still has the single line on the side.

But you can't say 30 and 45 degrees--it's the first line, and the second line. Just like the old seats, you can't say "reclined to 45*" because the line is not exactly 45*--it's whatever arbitrary number Dorel came up with and stamped on the seat.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I do get that younger babies need to a greater recline to maintain their airway. It was the requirement for the same recline for my 1 1/2 yr old (and his discomfort in that position) that lead me to returning my onside air. The complete airs have come up more than once a a great narrow RFing altrnative to the radian, but with the installation concerns that many people had I have hesitated to recommend it.

That's where a huge number of people (myself included) are at. Some will say to disregard the angle requirements, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Chris

But you can't say 30 and 45 degrees--it's the first line, and the second line. Just like the old seats, you can't say "reclined to 45*" because the line is not exactly 45*--it's whatever arbitrary number Dorel came up with and stamped on the seat.

This was a huge part of the original controversy right?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

But they say it's SUPPOSED to be 45. If it reclines to more than 45 you may be running into the bad-line seats they claim don't exist... :whistle: I've seen seats that ARE at 45 reclined to the line, and ones that are at like 54. Same seat, same cover, etc. It's... a head scratcher.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
This was a huge part of the original controversy right?

Yes, it was.

This was my seat, installed with the line "level to ground."
54972dd4.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I had one that looked like that too (well different cover)- it measured 53 degrees. I had it replaced for an unrelated cause, and the new one they sent me (same model, same cover) only was at 45-ish with the line "level to ground." When questioned on it they claim they all recline the same amount, 45 degrees. So, um... They are obviously ignoring the fact that, well, they DON'T all recline the same amount!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I had one that looked like that too (well different cover)- it measured 53 degrees. I had it replaced for an unrelated cause, and the new one they sent me (same model, same cover) only was at 45-ish with the line "level to ground."

Ditto. Happened to me, too. My old seat was 53 degrees. They replaced it with another one of the EXACT SAME MODEL (by mistake, they were supposed to send me a new one) and it measured 45 degrees. Eventually they refunded my money and I bought another one that really was the newer version of the same seat (same color, different model number, no annoying harness covers), and it measures about 46-47 degrees.

I think I'm relatively comfortable using it at whatever angle I want to use it at for my own car because it appears that even Dorel doesn't know or care how reclined the seat should be; however I try really hard not to recommend OTHER people buy the seat or use it contrary to the instructions.

And it's true that you can't say 30° or 45° really; that's why I said "about" - though on some seats it's so far off that's not even a decent approximation anymore. :rolleyes:

mom of six

So, the level line(s) is/are on a sticker that gets applied to the seat not molded into the shell, correct. Dorel is putting an awful lot of faith in their sticker applying people/machine if you must be loyal to something that has the potential to have a huge margin of error (or in engineering talk, tolerance).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
They are molded into the seat and then there's a sticker that highlights it.
The molded lines are at different angles on different seats.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Here's what it looks like on Canadian seats - we've got them on a lot of the models now, and our seats (with the exception of the Scenera) did require structural changes to pass our new crash tests, effective Jan 1 2012.

There are no lines molded onto the seat as far as I can tell from this picture.

Last edited:

Cath3114

840ed46e.jpg

This is on the new Cosco Apt. DOM 12/11. I did not measure the lines when installed, but they are molded into the seat. And the sticker does say a range between the two lines is acceptable.

Chris

Hmm, looks like there isn't much difference in angle on the US seat?? Or is that just how it looks in the picture? It is really a shame that Dorel can't get their act together and come up with some consistent fix. Their seats really fill a niche in the market.

Haley.h87

I have really been wanting to buy a CA for DD, but I'm fairly skeptical now. I guess I don't really understand how they don't see (or for that matter, dont care or acknowledge) how the angles seem to be different on different seats? I think I would be comfortable just installing at a 30* angle for her, but I'm just not sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC