No top tether - install with lap shoulder belt outboard or lap belt center?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
In a situation where there is no top tether available for a FF seat, would you prefer to install with a lap/shoulder belt outboard versus a lap belt in the center?

ADS

Brianna

Not being a tech, I would think that center lap untethered would be better, as if there is additional head excursion without the shoulder belt, the child's head would go in between the 2 front seats. That's assuming the vehicle doesn't have a bench front seat.

zactayaus

I'm going to go against everyone and say lap/shoulder because the shoulder belt part will go up high on the back of the car seat and act kind of like a tether rather than just the lap belt where the seat has a low pivot point for the seat to rotate forward on. Does that make sense? I also think I remember reading on here that there is a seat that says something along the lines of 'if installing with a lap belt only you must use the top tether or move the seat to another location where a lap/shoulder belt is available'. I don't remember what seat though and hope I didn't just totally make that up. lol.

Last edited:

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Thanks guys! This is purely a hypothetical at this point, just something that wandered into my brain this morning when I had to drive DH's truck to work and drop Sam off on the way. The seat has virtually zero leg room because of a large center console, so if I were to put his seat there he would have his feet up on top of the console or squashed directly in between the car seat and the console.

I've chosen to put him outboard and move the passenger seat all the way forward when there's no one else in the car. He only rides in it maybe once a month so I'm not terribly stressed about it but it just had me thinking about all the factors to consider when I'm advising a parent in a similar situation.

Pixels

I'm going to go against everyone and say lap/shoulder because the shoulder belt part will go up high on the back of the car seat and act kind of like a tether rather than just the lap belt where the seat has a low pivot point for the seat to rotate forward on. Does that make sense?
Yes, and no. For most seats, that's not true. The shoulder belt is held so closely to the lap belt that it doesn't make a difference. For seats with high open belt paths, such as the old-style Britax convertibles, or seats with reverse belt path or similar installs (Regent, Frontiers, ProSport) the shoulder belt is up high enough to give a little bit of tether-like benefit.

Regardless, using the tether only increases safety by something like 9 or 16%, and being in the center vs the side is a 30% increase in safety. I would use a seat in the center without a tether before using it outboard with a real tether.

I also remember reading on here that there is a seat that says something along the lines of 'if installing with a lap belt only you must use the top tether or move the seat to another location where a lap/shoulder belt is available'. I don't remember what seat though and hope I didn't just totally make that up. lol.

Recaro Prosport, only when used with a child under 52 pounds. With a child over 52 pounds, you must use a lap-shoulder and can NOT use the tether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC