MDX owners - which booster in centre, 2nd row?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Currently have my SR35 in the centre. It's been really difficult for me to lift it in and out of the base. Technobaby is only 10.5# right now so I can't imagine it getting easier. So I am trying to find a booster that will work in the centre so I can put the SR35 outboard driver's side. This will also give us back easier access to the 3rd row which I've needed many times lately and haven't been able to use.

Options I have:
  • Nauti - in harnessed mode it doesn't fit beside the SR35 (centre or outboard) because the arms are in the way. I don't see why booster mode would be any different?
  • Frontier XT - currently used in harnessed mode outboard. It does not install in the centre in harnessed mode, would booster mode be any different? Anyone using a Frontier as a booster in the centre?
  • Monterey - has anyone tried this in the centre? If I know it works in the centre, I'll go to the effort to uninstall everything and see if it works beside the SR35.

I prefer not to buy any new seats since I've owned mine for less than a year and I can't legally sell any of them now to recoup cost. I *think* my Monterey can still be sold though as it seems it may be 2012 compliant. Although I'll get pretty much nothing for it, so probably would be best if it would work in the centre.

But please tell me what boosters have worked for you in the centre as I may have to get something if none of my options work.

Last edited:
ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No MDX owners using boosters?

Oh and if anyone has access to an Oobr to try in the centre, that would be the booster I want if I have to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Neither the Monterey or Frontier work in booster mode. They entirely overlap the female end of the buck as in it is behind the booster seat. So, the booster has to sit forward some to account for the buckle behind it, and you'd be wrapping the seat belt around the back of the booster to do it up.

I did get the Frontier installed in harnessed mode. There is quite a gap behind it at the bottom but it may be acceptable although it doesn't matter as you can't get the SR35 in beside it as it clashes with the Frontier's arms.

I didn't try the Nauti in booster mode, but I'd think it will have the same issue as the Frontier and Monterey and block the buckle. It would have to be really narrow not to and it isn't.

The only thing I can think that might work is if there was a convertible that would for FF in the centre. Not having arm rests could enable the SR35 to clip in beside it. But, I'm not buying a convertible for a 5.5 year old unless it's something I could eventually hand down to the baby. And I want a Foonf for the baby so there isn't even a convertible I would buy now. I guess I could buy one that would eventually go into my parents vehicle, but I want a 45# one and I don't get along with Radians so I'd be looking at the Peg which isn't out yet in Canada? Should be soon, so I could consider that but I'd have to be able to physically try it before buying to make sure the infant seat worked beside it.

canadiangie

I know you don't like Radians, but I know for certain they install well FF in the middle of your 2nd row. And, I have to admit that the AA rocks my world for a RF install. Imagine this: Dh, 6'3", can have his driver's seat all the way back and baby is still reclined enough to sleep with her head back. So while there are times I get so frustrated I want to throw my entire fleet of Radians off a cliff (yes, there's a fleet at this point), I'm continually humbled by the seat's overall design and what it enables me to do. The Diono adjuster is also smooth like butter which is so nice when you're reaching to the middle.

I know, no help at all, but a Radian is my first thought.

Unless you put dd2 in the 3rd row, dd1 on the 40 of the 2nd row, and dd3 on the 60... Thoughts on that?

T4K

Slight thread derailment:

So multiple radians residing together in an environment is a fleet? Not a flock, school, or herd? Just wondering. :cool:

And does this apply to all carseats or is this radian specific.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We did discuss the 3rd row option but concluded it wouldn't work out.
  1. would have to leave one side down for cargo room which would mean DD is seated next to metal stroller frame on a regular basis, groceries, Costco trips, etc.
  2. leg room - would she have any? There isn't much leg room back there so I was worried that if in an accident, her legs would be crushed. She's got more leg room in the 2nd row.
  3. tether hooks to the back tailgate sill which means the small amount of cargo room behind her seat becomes virtually useless.
  4. close to the rear window in an accident
  5. less airflow back there so it gets cool in the winter. Right now the kids can control their own head in the 2nd row. Might get hotter back in there summer as well, not sure as I've only ever ridden back there in the winter and my legs were super chilly, I needed to cover with a blanket.

I guess I see the 3rd row as temporary use only. When we want to take the grandparents and don't want to take 2 vehicles, when I need to take DD and her friends somewhere, etc. We didn't buy it expecting full-time use.

As for Radians. I just don't know. I don't believe we actually have a store that carries them in the city anymore and it's too expensive to buy online and not work out. Pretty sure it would be fine in our vehicle FF in the centre, but I have no idea how it would fit into my parents' vehicle for RF when I gave it to them. They would 100% for sure need the angle adjuster as their vehicle is small, but I kind of think that hunk of a foam is a hack and lame solution...:duck:

If I had one to test first, I'd likely be more open to giving a Radian a shot.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I will look through my PB for my installs and see if any include a booster in the middle. I know I did use one there at some point but not sure if I have pictures. It would have either been a Compass B-something or an original Parkway.

I'll let you know what I find once I get on a computer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC