Question Car seat and two casts

farrbabies

Hi
So my dd2 is 36 pounds 14.75 inch torso. She is 4 in march. She had two casts put on her feet in-between her knee and ankle. It's to help reshape her foot I think. I'm still not sure exactly. She has flat feet because of a muscle that is too tight. She is supposed to wear the cast for 3 weeks then they will cut them off as put her in splits or something else. She is ffing in a gn and frontier. I just worry her being uncomfortable and that now she's ffing how close her casts are to the drivers seat when dh drives. I do have a radian that goes to 45 pounds. Would you keep her ffing. Or rfing? She complains they are heavy. She is such a napper in the car. It is winter here too. Am I being too paranoid? I do have an angle adjuster too. We don't plan on traveling far right now so she isn't in the car for more than an hour. My guess it's uncomfortable either way. Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd probably stack pillows and blankets in the footwell to support her feet, or ask if she wants to go rear facing. Can she bend her knees comfortably enough to rear face? At that age Piper put her feet up the back, and the heavy casts may make that very hard to do.

Wendy

farrbabies

wendytthomas said:
I'd probably stack pillows and blankets in the footwell to support her feet, or ask if she wants to go rear facing. Can she bend her knees comfortably enough to rear face? At that age Piper put her feet up the back, and the heavy casts may make that very hard to do.

Wendy

Here is a picture. She was rewarded with Oreos and chocolate milk... She can bend her legs. Not sure if she can rerearface but I may just try how it is in the living room. She doesn't mind rearfacing as I had no problems re rfing her at age 3. Deep down I'm also worried if she needs surgery how I'm going to keep her comfy. She clomps around the house just fine right now.

Last edited:

skylinphoto

The casts look like they wouldn't pose a problem for rfing. Id try it out. :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

farrbabies

mamom said:
would the casts make her weigh over 45 lbs??

Oh I hope not. I don't have a scale here. I can't see them being that heavy but I don't know. Maybe the blankets in the footwell idea would be better? I will try tomorrow after work.

You are all very sweet and helpful. Thanks.

macmomma

My almost five year old just got his bilateral casts off last week, he was ff in his Fr85 and ProSport without any problems. He put one foot at the time up in his seat when they were bothering him.... Let me see if I have a pic... Not sure...

farrbabies

Update: so my daughter has actually lost two pounds. She is hovering between 35-36 pounds dressed no boots. Fiberglass casts are off but she splints at night. I did rerearface her in my car in her radian xt with the wedge. Less legroom for her but she didn't complain at all. I have three radians across at the moment with two rfing outboard with wedges and one FF centre. It's so tight as it was before.

Anyways we are at my parents house 3 hours hwy drive away from home. On the way here she fell asleep as she always does. She was ffing in the frontier in our van. Her head bobbed down and hung to the side. I tried to adjust the van seat back a bit but it wouldn't go. My hubby doesn't want to rearface her but he did agree she slept much better that way.

My question is.. Babiesrus in Scarborough has the complete air for $129. I'm going to get it (sitter asked for a seat for ds anyways). Daughter is 36 inches tall and hasn't grown any taller for months. Its like her growth has stopped for a bit. Would you be okay ignoring the max rfing height of 36 inches? I just don't think I will drive comfortably back with her head swinging like it was today. My hubby actually tried to keep her head up with his arm a few times. Dd1 is ffing in the same seat and did fall asleep without any head bobbing. There is no difference in angles that I can see and both have the foot prop flipped for harness mode.

The whole trip took 4.5 hours because of potty stops. I swear my kids know of each rest stop there is along the hwy. And of course you don't say no to a toddler.

Hoping I will hear from some of you before tomorrow morning :). We plan to start our trip back mid afternoonish.

Yes my sig is out of date. She was almost 38 pounds.

And of course I forgot I didn't post this in the Canadian section. Sorry. Our complete airs have a max rfing height of 36 inches if I'm not mistaken. My son is rfing in the myride and the seat shell is short IMO. Dd2 is over the 1 inch I think.

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes, I'd be comfortable with that. She's AT the 36" limit, not over it. (TBH I might choose it in my own vehicle even if she were a bit over, but as far as counsel, yes I'd put her in it while out of town without hesitation.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC