Help me find a different car. 2 RF Marathons and a special needs child all in 2nd row?

one+twins=chaos

Hi all,

I'm looking for a used vehicle that will accomodate 2 RF Marathons and an adult sized person all in the 2nd row. What will work? Right now we have a Kia Sedona with 2 buckets in the 2nd row and it just doesn't work for us.

We have 14 month old twins (24 and 26 lbs currently) and our 9 year old son is autistic. For various reasons I need to seat them all in the 2nd row. I'm not a "car person" so I have no idea what's out there to choose from.

I also have a big double stroller (BJCSD) and other assorted baby and kid gear to haul around so I probably need an SUV or minivan?

I'm open to all suggestions, would like to find something with decent gas mileage and reliability. Oh, I'm also over 6' tall so leg and head room are important.

My initial thought was a Suburban/Expedition/Tahoe type thing but ugh, the gas mileage stinks on those! I've been looking all day at edmunds and cars.com and my eyes are crossing. Help!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well...I think that getting all three of those across is going to be tough.
There are minivans which have a "bench" style middle row instead of 2 buckets, so if you like the minivan style of vehicle, perhaps getting one of those? Better gas milage than a suburban, lol.

Have you considered a SUV hybrid? Here is a link to some available....much better gas mileage, but with the size of an SUV
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_SUVs.shtml

ajweeks

I've heard of people having luck with 3 across in an 8 passenger Sienna. The middle seat in the Sienna is more like a regular size seat. One person on this board has two Regents and a Scenara across the 2nd row of her Sienna.

What car seats do you have now?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The cars I call the "grandma" cars would probably work, too, plus get better gas mileage and cost much less than an SUV or a minivan. My mom has one, it's a Chrysler Town Car, but anything similar would probably work. Huge back seat, huge trunk; I've sat between a RF carseat and a booster in it and it's quite comfy & the seats were easy to install. I could even fit two seats next to each other and then sit outboard if I wanted. And my mom gets 28-30mpg on the highway in hers.

Of course, if you're planning on any more kids, you'll want the minivans or the SUV's, but if you know you're done and you know you're going to have 3-across, one of those would be ideal for you.

tl01

Well...I think that getting all three of those across is going to be tough.
There are minivans which have a "bench" style middle row instead of 2 buckets, so if you like the minivan style of vehicle, perhaps getting one of those? Better gas milage than a suburban, lol.

Have you considered a SUV hybrid? Here is a link to some available....much better gas mileage, but with the size of an SUV
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_SUVs.shtml

Hybrids are not really the best option b/c they cost more and it takes a number of years to recoop the extra cost with the improved gas mileage.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
You could do it in an Acura MDX for sure. And you would still have the optional 3rd row if you wanted or needed it. I can pretty much fit anything 3 across in the MDX even with a Regent in the mix. The backseats are also very, very comfy!! :love:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Also the Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia are great options to look at. They have the 3rd row with plenty of cargo area behind the 3rd row even when in use. I know a couple techs on here that have one have been able to get 3 across with no issues. Plus still had the 3rd row and cargo area too.

southpawboston

Hybrids are not really the best option b/c they cost more and it takes a number of years to recoop the extra cost with the improved gas mileage.

yes but they decrease our dependence on foreign oil, and they pollute much less and contribute less to greenhouse gases... which may or may not be of value to the OP, but just to point out that there are those other benefits associated with the added up-front cost. also, the added cost of the hybrid doesn't take into account the tax credit that you are entitled to for purchasing a hybrid vehicle. it depends on the vehicle and the tax year, but i think it could be between $1000-2000.

one+twins=chaos

Thanks for the responses! To answer some questions:

Right now the twins are RF in Marathons, my 9 yo weighs 128 lbs so we're thinking of getting a harness just so he can't unbuckle himself when we're moving.

Hybrids intrigue me but almost all of my driving is on flat highways so there is no real fuel savings there.

No more kids for me! I'm pretty sure anyway. I hadn't really thought of a car vs a van or SUV. I'll have to look up that model, thanks!

Will def. look into the Acura, thanks!

Dh actaulyl looked at an Outlook last time he was at a Saturn dealer and was very impressed by it. We'll have to give it a second look, thanks!

Off to do more research. Thanks again for all the input!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
yes but they decrease our dependence on foreign oil, and they pollute much less and contribute less to greenhouse gases... which may or may not be of value to the OP, but just to point out that there are those other benefits associated with the added up-front cost. also, the added cost of the hybrid doesn't take into account the tax credit that you are entitled to for purchasing a hybrid vehicle. it depends on the vehicle and the tax year, but i think it could be between $1000-2000.

I agree with you 100%. I just wish there was a SUV hybrid that had a 3rd row option but not as big as the Tahoe. I would love to see GM bring the hybrid to the Outlook. If they did I know we would buy one in a heartbeat.

tl01

I think the environmental benefits are a wash once you consider the battery issues (both production/mining/transport and end result.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC