AA in 3rd row of the Mazda 5

jenfrogmom

Works great! Good install. Seat in front lightly braces with the seat pushed all the way back.

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

ADS

amyd

Thanks for this. I'm going to have a full 5 for about 6 weeks in the new year while I take care of my BFF's kids while she goes back to work. Sure would be easier to put the big boys (both FFing) in the captains chairs and the little boys (both RFing in Radians) in the back row.

Splash

Holy guava nuggets, you've got two RF seats in a 5? DAMN! I wonder if I can get the AA in three days for the trip to NC... He's FF, but I can still fit him RF in the RN. Hmmm...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Holy guava nuggets, you've got two RF seats in a 5? DAMN! I wonder if I can get the AA in three days for the trip to NC... He's FF, but I can still fit him RF in the RN. Hmmm...

Two is easy. With the AA four should be easy. Even without the AA four is not difficult.

Wendy

Splash

I'm more concerned with their leg room in the back. I can remove one of the second row seats for the trip, then that kid can have all the legroom in the world. But the kid behind the remaining second row seat gets squashed if he's in a seat.
I normally have Charlie in a Monarch and Sammy in a TF, with the empty spot in front of him and the person in front of Charlie moved up a few notches. But for the trip, I'm going to put Charlie in a harness (though he maintains position beautifully when sleeping in the monarch... maybe even better than in a harness, actually) and I'm worried about his comfort/safety WRT knee excursion.

amyd

Splash said:
I'm more concerned with their leg room in the back. I can remove one of the second row seats for the trip, then that kid can have all the legroom in the world. But the kid behind the remaining second row seat gets squashed if he's in a seat.
I normally have Charlie in a Monarch and Sammy in a TF, with the empty spot in front of him and the person in front of Charlie moved up a few notches. But for the trip, I'm going to put Charlie in a harness (though he maintains position beautifully when sleeping in the monarch... maybe even better than in a harness, actually) and I'm worried about his comfort/safety WRT knee excursion.

This concerns me about the third row FFing too. If I can put my RFers back there, that would be awesome. I'm a little worried about the seats being too upright for the kiddos in them, though. According to Diono's site, they can be used for babies over 10#. I thought there was an age restriction too?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Diono says one year and able to hold the head upright unassisted. Their rep says that's a very conservative number from the engineers.

Wendy

amyd

wendytthomas said:
Diono says one year and able to hold the head upright unassisted. Their rep says that's a very conservative number from the engineers.

Wendy

Is that written somewhere? That's what I thought but their site only says the 10# thing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't see 10 pounds on their site.

Angle Adjuster positions rear-facing Radian seats at a more upright angle for older children and can add up to 4” more room behind the front seats for more front leg room. The dense foam construction adds firm, lateral support for increased stability. Angle Adjuster fits all model Radian seats and is LATCH compatible. For use only with rear-facing Radian seats and with child over 1 year. Crash tested.

From a facebook page I'm on:

Wendy Thomas Diono has said that as long as the baby has head control it's not a safety issue. More than it was the lawyers being conservative.
December 7 at 2:35pm · Like · 1

Wendy Thomas
‎I emailed Allana Pinkerton, the tech representative to make sure it was just a head control issue, and nothing more. Neither of us can go ahead and say, "Use it under a year," of course, but the number is conservative, and I don't know of a safety issue provided the angle you get is something your baby can handle. So it becomes your decision to make with the information you have.

I will say, if I had a child under one with fine head control, and the angle I got was comfortable for them, I'd use an angle adjuster without a second thought.

And the email response I am referencing there.

The age limit was set so parents would not end up installing the seat too upright for a new born or a child without good head control. You know they will!!
It was a precautionary measure. Personally, I wanted to put just good head control or if your child is walking, sitting up, etc. The powers to be, were not satisfied with that. :-(

So there you go. It's conservative. Allana Pinkerton and I both post to the FB page I referenced above, I emailed her directly, and she has never said to not use it under age one.

Wendy

Pixels

Maybe it's a Canadian/US thing? Before the AA came out they did say 10 pounds at one point, but it was changed to 1 and sitting up (or whatever it is) before it was released. Even if the Canadian rules are the same, perhaps the website is reflecting the outdated info.

amyd

That's different than the Canadian Diono site:

Angle Adjuster positions rear-facing Radian seats at a more upright angle for older children and can add up to 4” more room behind the front seats for more front leg room. The dense foam construction adds firm, lateral support for increased stability. Angle Adjuster fits all model Radian seats and is LATCH compatible. For use only with rear-facing Radian seats, with child over 10 lbs, one unit per installation. Crash tested.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC