Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Please Support Car-Seat.Org

I see ADMIN was able to give you a better idea of how long it takes. Thanks ADMIN .
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Thank you everyone for your generous donations! As you may know from the January, 2008 updates thread, a small extension was made to the subscriptions of early contributors. Since then, forum donations continue to cover hosting, software and other costs. There should also be enough to cover the upcoming website updates. Subscription costs were maintained for 2008 with no changes.

Ultimately, the goal is to break even without a surplus or shortfall from the costs to keep the website and forum running. I will re-evaluate later this year, based on continuing subscriptions and growth of the forums that might eventually spur the need for a costlier hosting package.

Thank you again!
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.
    All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2019, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us

Thank you, ADMIN for providing a place for me to go where people understand my car seat safety passion .
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by azgirl71 View Post
    Thank you, ADMIN for providing a place for me to go where people understand my car seat safety passion .
    Ditto! I'm proud to be a car-seat.org supporter, it's so deserving!
    Bonnie, Mum to a (38lb) 3 year old rear-facing in a Brio Zento (Black)
    and a (40lb) 4 1/2 year old in a Booster in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Just to be clear, donations for Car-Seat.Org will be used only for forum and website costs, including but not limited to hosting, domain names, chat room, software, addons, skins or other services/enhancements. If this policy changes in the future, I will make a post about the details.

Seatcheck.net is my own inspection service and a set of webpages for Illinois specific information. DuPage Safe Kids is the local Safe Kids chapter I coordinate. They do not support and are not supported by the Car-Seat.Org forums except that they all depend on my time and effort. I do host a webpage for them, of course, but that is the only real connection to the forums and website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    In the unlikely event of a surplus, funds would most likely be saved for future expansions. At the current rate of growth, it's quite likely that the forums will need a managed, dedicated hosting package within a year or two and those can cost $150-$300 a month or more:-( That doesn't include the costs of the chat room, software and domain names that add up to another $25 a month or more at current prices.

I would expect that there could be a few server/hosting moves in the near future, depending on how the load of our forums is tolerated by providers, especially those who have submitted the less expensive quotes that are possible with the current rate of donations. I'm not making any promises of course, but in any case, I don't forsee my plans for a vacation house in Malibu moving forward anytime soon... I'll just be happy if I can avoid any additional personal expenses beyond those I've made over the last 7 years lol.
    To update earlier comments for consistency:

All proceeds from donations/sponsorships will be used primarily for the Car-Seat.Org, Car-Safety.Org and Seatcheck.net website expenses but may also be used for other child passenger safety related expenses incurred by its owner(s). Proceeds will not be used for any type of personal expenses that do not pertain to child passenger safety activities.

I make this update because it became apparent as I did my taxes that for both accounting and tax purposes it would be very difficult to separate my Seatcheck.Net website and CPS services from Car-Seat.Org and Car-Safety.Org which are all essentially intertwined due to my personal ownership and involvement. So, I did not want to mislead anyone in regard to this detail in the event it might affect someone's decision to make a subscription.

To reiterate my other previous comments, no surplus of funds from forum subscriptions is being used for that house in Malibu or any other personal expenses not related to my CPS websites and activities. As I said before, after website and CPS expenses, any surplus will be used mainly for future cost increases and expenses or possibly refunded to donors in the form of extra time on the subscriptions, as was done late last year for active supporters, benefactors and sponsors at that time. In addition, donations and sponsorships are not used to support DuPage County Safe Kids, which is a non-profit organization and completely separate from my personal websites and services, except that I also volunteer my time as coordinator of this Safe Kids chapter.

As I said in a previous post, my intention is to break even on my CPS activites that include Seatcheck, Car-Seat.Org and Car-Safety.Org. Last year, I accomplished this goal fairly well. The tax liability for my CPS related business activities was a "profit" of $168 dollars last year after expenses. The current rate of donations and sponsorships have so far covered the increased costs and also allowed for some upgrades including larger chat room size and general website updates and improvements. These "profits" will also be used to offset future expenses and upgrades and hopefully a surprise or two along the way.

Thank you again for your support!
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.

I thought you were hoarding the fund to statr a car-seat.org compound in Costa Rica J/K

Thanks again for all your work!
    Lisa - CPSTI

Quote Originally Posted by azgirl71 View Post
    I thought you were hoarding the fund to statr a car-seat.org compound in Costa Rica J/K

Thanks again for all your work!
    I'm thinking a Car-Seat.Org retreat center for members would be a related expense!

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    I'm thinking a Car-Seat.Org retreat center for members would be a related expense!
    I think a retreat center could be a related expense. It could be therapudic for those of us that need to be around others like us . Medically neccesary I think.
    Lisa - CPSTI

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

I suspect most of us would be more giddy if you said you were buying a carseat testing facility than if you said you were buying a tropical resort for use by Car-Seat.org members.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Quote Originally Posted by UlrikeDG View Post
    I suspect most of us would be more giddy if you said you were buying a carseat testing facility than if you said you were buying a tropical resort for use by Car-Seat.org members.
    Might be worthy of a poll. While you do that, I'll work on finding 10 million in donations...

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Your wish = my command.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Carseat Crazy

forgive me for being dense. so one only needs to donate at the supporter level
    in order to be able to actively post ISO or WTS threads in the swap forum?

Carseat Crazy

I thought you coud use a credit card? i only see pay pal as an option...

Due to privacy concerns, new members will no longer have access to the Community Member forum. Newly registered accounts now must have 10 posts, 10 reputation points and 30 days registered to have access to the Community Member forum/usergroup. This is the same requirement that has been in place for chat room access.

In addition, future subscriptions at the Sponsor and Benefactor levels will no longer have access to the Senior Community Member forum/usergroup. Instead, Sponsors and Benefactors will have automatic access to the Community Member forum/usergroup as part of their subscription.

Access to the Senior Community Member forum/usergroup will be granted only as follows:

The only users who can read and post in this forum are:

1) Admins

2) Community Members with at least 300 posts, 150 reputation points and 365 days registered (subject to change)

3) Technical Professionals with at least 50 posts and 180 days registered and 25 reputation.

4) Moderators and Usergroup Leaders with at least 25 posts

5) (Some long-time users may be grandfathered from an earlier change)

A few other notes-

Donations at the Supporter level will not automatically gain access to either Community Member or Senior Community Member usergroups. If they have access to those groups already, they will continue to have access.

Donors with currently active Benefactor/Sponsor subscriptions will be grandfathered into access for the Senior Community Member usergroup until your subscription expires and is not renewed. If your Benefactor/Sponsor subscription exprires, you will at some point lose access to the Senior Community Member usergroup unless they have met one of the criteria above. This affects about 30 people.

Less active new members may lose access to the Community Member off-topic forum. I apologize for the short notice and any inconvenience. If you would like to participate in this forum, you have 3 options:

1) Access is free when you reach 10 posts, 10 reputation and 30 days registered.

2) You may request to join the Community Member Usergroup in your User Control Panel, Group Memberships area. Requests are granted at the discretion of the usergroup leaders. Generally, this will only be done if you have participated in the Community Member forum already or if you "know" someone who has access already and who will vouch for you. Please list their username in the reason for your request.

3) You may subscribe at the Benefactor or Sponsor Level

No other members will lose any access or features in this change. If you think your access has changed in any way beyond what is mentioned here, please send a private message to Admin.

To reduce the risk of data loss, our provider is working with me to setup a better backup system. Hopefully, a slave database will allow essentially no loss of data if the primary database fails. In a catastrophic event, backups will now be done a few times a day rather than just once overnight. Absolute worst case, we should only lose 6-8 hours of posts, registrations and messages. The cost increase should be within the current level of subscription proceeds. The next step would be to go to a dedicated server system with a business class replication backup system, but that type of setup can easily cost hundreds of dollars a month. Hopefully, that won't be necessary.

Current donors, benefactors and subscribers as of last Sunday were given a 1 month extension on their subscriptions as both a thank you and as credit for the downtime Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Thank you to everyone who has subscribed. More improvements are always on the way! In particular, I will be looking for a plugin to improve our Swap forum with automatic feedback, once one becomes available for the latest version of our forum software.

Some additional changes to the fine print were made, especially considering how payments from corporate/business sponsors are treated.

I have reviewed subscription costs for the new year. There will be no increases for any level effective January 1st, 2009. I will evaluate them again later in the year.

I forget, how will we know when our payment is due?
    Peggy, RN-Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, CPST and Mommy to Connor (2/05) in a Graco Highback TurboBooster with Safety Surround

I believe the system sends you a notice before your subscription expires. The end date may also be listed in your User CP Paid Subscriptions area.

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    I believe the system sends you a notice before your subscription expires. The end date may also be listed in your User CP Paid Subscriptions area.

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

another , but with a link. click here to see when your paid subscriptions expire, to renew or to donate. I received an email notice a week or two before mine expired last time.